PDA

View Full Version : Balsam fir , or fraser fir?

AI Inc
09-06-2010, 08:37 AM
What is a better tree , or should I say more in demand?

turf hokie
09-06-2010, 03:43 PM
What is a better tree , or should I say more in demand?

Depends on market like everything else.
Fraser will cost more than a balsam but usually hold needles better.
A balsam will be a bit more fragrant.
Most stands around here sell balsam only a few carry fraser.

Of course you could look into a falsam which is a cross between the fraser and balsam giving the best traits of both.
Posted via Mobile Device

AI Inc
09-07-2010, 06:13 AM
Thank you. Havnt seem any falsalms offered thru any growers from NHVT asso.

24v6spd
09-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Fraser Fir in my opinion. Concolor fir is even better and smells wonderful.

AI Inc
09-07-2010, 04:08 PM
What is considered the top of the line tree and still readily available?
Where does a Norway spruce fit in , is it even a tree that is marketed?
Thank
Steve

turf hokie
09-07-2010, 05:54 PM
In my part of the world the Fraser is the top of the line but the balsam is by far the most popular, if nothing else just based on price.

As far as the falsam, I only ever saw one guy that had it and he also carried frasers, no balsam, he is no longer doing trees but the balsam guys are selling 1,000's......

farmersfeedu
10-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Fraser Fir and Balsam Fir are very very similar. Basically Balsams are native to areas further North and Frasers to the south.

I have found Frasers to hold their needles better and have a slightly stiffer branch, which is good for ornaments. I do not think one to be more fragrant than the other.

And yes concolrs are a neat tree but not a great cut tree. The branching is difficult to decorate. They also have a unique citrus type fragrance.

I do not know of any Frasers commercially grown in Canada but there could be some. A lot of the Balsam fir comes from Canada. I like to buy American when possible

DuffysLandscaping
10-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Been selling Christmas trees for 19 years and in my opinion Fraser fir is the way to go.You cant beat the quality and they last a lot longer Ive found the balsams loose there needles allot sooner.Really depends on the area for demand. Fraser's are allot higher in price

mikewhit1010
11-12-2010, 08:31 PM
I am looking at getting into Xmas Tree sales. Any big tips. My business partner tried this before we partnered up. He had one bad year, one break even and a year where he made money. He has been out of it for 2 years now. Any good tips for basically a beginer.