PDA

View Full Version : Fast Trak 20/52 Won't Start

mdhorne
09-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Hi All,

I have a Fast Trak with Honda 20 HP and 52 inch deck that I purchased in 2004. It has ~188 hours on it.

Over the last few years I have occasionally had problems where it wouldn't start. I would come out later after charging up the battery more and it would fire right up. My thought was that it was not always sparking.

This time is different in that it wont start at all. I pulled off the engine cover and disconnected the kill switches on the coils and did a spark test. Neither of the coils produces a spark.

Is it really possible both coils could have gone at the same time? Does anyone know what I should do to troubleshoot next? Any other possible causes that might save me a month long trip to the dealer (and hopefully not as expensive as 2 coils)?

Thanks for any help,
Matt

mowerconsultant
09-07-2010, 06:20 PM
There is a diode inline between those 2 coils, this is likely your problem.

Pj

homemower
09-07-2010, 06:23 PM
ck. the low oil sensor to see if it is tight or should I say snug, if it is lose the condition you described will happen sometime it will start and next time it won't randomly

mdhorne
09-07-2010, 07:45 PM
I talked to my dealer today and he told me the oil sensor on the gxv620 is to operate the oil light on the console only and that it does not have the ability to kill the engine. He suggested replacing the two relays in the console and if that fails replace the diode pj described above. I will post my findings.
Posted via Mobile Device

mdhorne
09-08-2010, 08:45 PM
So I replaced the 2 relays in the console and it is starting now. I am not totally convinced the problem is solved, but if it happens again I will replace the engine stop diode.

I am not sure why I didn't see a spark when using the plug (since I had both kill wires disconnected so I should have), but I did see it when using a small engine inline spark tester (got it at napa).

I have a troubleshooting document that I got from my hustler dealer which I think will help anyone else that runs into this problem. It sounds like these things do go bad.

http://activity.afraid.org/073827.JPG

teckjohn
09-18-2010, 12:27 PM
and it also does not fire. I unplugged the stop diode from the coils and jumped my starter and it spins over fine but still no fire. I have never seen 2 coils go out at same time. here is my hustler http://alacable.com/forsale/

voeg
09-18-2010, 02:37 PM
This happened to me and all the dealers wanted to sell me all kinds of high dollar stop diodes and new switches. What ended up fixing it for me was checking and resetting the gap between both coils and the flywheel. I think to about .008 or less.