PDA

View Full Version : Good size Brush Cutting job

Jimbo
08-08-2002, 05:17 PM
I have a job lined up to cut roughly 2 Acres of high weeds and brush. Normally I would cut it by hand, but this is a good sized area for that non-sense.
I dont want to hassle with a big bush hog (hauling etc), so I am considering the purchase of a smaller walk-behind machine.
Has anyone ever tried the Giant-Vac (GM2515AWV) with 15HP kawisaki and 25" cut?

Any other ideas?

I am willing to spend up to $3000.00 for the right machine.

Jim

Lawn-Scapes
08-08-2002, 06:44 PM
You're going to cut 2 acres with 25" machine? How thick is the brush?

Jimbo
08-08-2002, 09:09 PM
Tom-

The brush is not over the complete two acres as there are large sections with 3' high weeds. I could take my ZTR in with the blade at the highest setting (5") to take care of the weeds, but I dont want to hand trim all the sticker patches. I just dont want to break up my ZTR thats all.
I really dont have a way to haul anything except on my 6X12 open trailer, so I cant buy or rent something too big.

Any ideas? This will be a big $$$$$ maker.

Jim

Lawn-Scapes
08-08-2002, 09:27 PM
"big $$$$$".... Need help? :D

longviewlawncare
08-08-2002, 09:53 PM
most places that rent tractors and bush hogs also rent trailers. I can get a trailer and bush hog for like 120 and trailer for like 50. Might want to look into that.

greenman
08-08-2002, 10:40 PM
Yeah, but if you rent something will you be able to add that to your price? How much $ are we talking about? $200,$300 to do the job. If you could add bush hog rental to your bill then I would do that. Is this a one time cut? I am thinking definitely a bush hog because of the brush. A small tractor w/ bush hog or finish mower would fit in your trailer, but I don't think you can get a decent one for $3000.00.

Jimbo
08-08-2002, 11:35 PM
Were talking about $900.00 to do the job. That cost would have to include any overhead (such as renting equipment). I quoted based on hand trimming the lot, and I figured on 8-9 hours at $100.00 hour. Hey that hand brush cutting is hard work!!

Once the initial cut is complete I will do bi-weekly or monthly maintenance. The goal would be to get everything cut clean enough to start using my ZTR.

This is a 13 Acre commercial (for sale) lot which they want to get the entrance open to attract more buyers. What I was shown might be a little more than 2 acres, but no more than 2.5.

Thanks
Jim

P.S. So, no one has used one of those WB brush cutters?

sbvfd592
08-08-2002, 11:49 PM
i used a billy goat to blaze trails on a farm i worked at they are nice

Lawn-Scapes
08-08-2002, 11:52 PM
Sub it to me.. I'll get it done (I'll use my Z) for say.. $750. You can keep the rest! ;)

65hoss
08-09-2002, 12:33 AM
Find someone local with a bushhog to do the work. Sub it out and you collect the profit.

Hookset
08-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Try www.drfieldbrush.com . I have one that works very well for over grown areas. 2 acres is some work, but can be cleared in 4hrs or less.

Jimbo
08-09-2002, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the offer Tom... I think I'll try my own Z first to see how it goes. If I bust too many tires I'll get back to you about your offer. I need to start soon so I can get my Invoice sent before the place does sell.

Hookset- Thanks for the info. I have looked at the DR's but I did not like that they mostly sell direct. Around here there are no distributors, so I cant kick the tires or take one for a test drive.
Is there anything you dont like about the DR?

I will look closely at the Billy Goat, and the Giant-Vac they appear to be built heavier than the DR's.

Thanks again guys!

Jim

Jimbo
08-09-2002, 04:05 PM
I found some new equipment on the net.

Anyone ever heard of or used a Hustler "HOG". I am not sure if they are still available but from what it says it can do; it is perfect for my business.
I also saw a Hustler 3000 series with Flail mower. I need to find a Hustler dealer (I dont think there is one close to me) though.

Let me know if you have info or have used these machines.

Mower consultant (Do you have any info)?

Jim

65hoss
08-09-2002, 04:30 PM
I'm sure PJ(mowerconsultant) can tell you about the HOG.

Jimbo
08-10-2002, 09:44 PM
Well I went to mow that lots today with my hande held trimmer and my ZTR. Wow those weeds were tall.
I went at it for about 2.5 hours and I called it quits. I will get a Bush Hog lined up for the rest of the intial cut, and then maintain it with my ZTR.
I dont have much left but whats there is heavy brush that no conventional mower could handle.

I have to give Scag credit for making a heavy machine because I threw a beating to it today and it did a great job.

Oh...no flats or blade damage. I didnt hit one rock.

jim

Darryl G
08-10-2002, 10:51 PM
Jimbo - Any farmers around? They will usually work really cheap and almost always have a brush hog or sickle bar mower.

Jimbo
08-10-2002, 11:20 PM
Darryl,

I have someone lined up (a relative). I get really concerned about who I let do a job like that becuase I dont want anyone to get injured. (Bystanders etc.)

I once hired a guy to help mow and he would always make his first pass with the shute toward the road. It didn't matter how many times I told him it makes a mess and is dangerous....he kept doing it.
Well, he's long gone and I have a few gray hairs to show for my time with him.

Thanks
Jim

Hookset
08-11-2002, 01:00 AM
Jimbo,
The only thing I've noticed is like you said it's not built as strong as the billy goat. However the extra weight in the better built machine could be extra work. The Dr has to be turned by hand and on occassion they hang up. I found mine at a yard sale cheap. In rough terrian after an hours work you will feel it the next day. On level ground it will chew almost anything up and leave little pieces.

65hoss
08-11-2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo
Darryl,
I get really concerned about who I let do a job like that becuase I dont want anyone to get injured. (Bystanders etc.)
Thanks
Jim

If you hire someone with a tractor and bushhog they know how to operate it.