PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Bag(s) took me today - Right out from under my Nose

milsaps118
09-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Was out mowing today, on a holiday at that....., trying to get a head start for the week on my commercial lawns, working hard just to make a living like every other honest hard-working "Joe" and some low life scum went into my enclosed trailer and stole 2 Full 5 gallon gas cans, a barely used Husquvarna 18" saw in the case, and a Kawi 650 blower!!!!!! Saw and blower were only 2 seasons old.

Right out from under me while I was out mowing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some people are just total ****** bags!!!!!!!!!!

Called the cops and had a report filed, but we all know stuff like that is easy to get rid of without a trace. I'm sure I'll never see it again.

Location: Brooklyn Center, MN - Corner of Shingle Creek & Freeway Blvd between 1-2pm.

randosh4
09-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Did they cut the lock off the trailer ???

milsaps118
09-07-2010, 12:38 AM
No, I was on a job site mowing and I left the rear ramp door down (open) and they walked right in, grabbed what was easiest and left.

mark123
09-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Unfortunately, an open trailer is an open invitation to some people. Do you save enough time on each lawn by not locking it to cover the cost of what was taken today? If so, keep on. If not, start locking the trailer.

My stuff is left out in the open but there's nothing I can do about it except have faith in my fellow man. I still check on it if it's out of site for more than a few moments though.

SuperPROlawnScalper
09-07-2010, 01:39 AM
watch craigslist for a while

unit28
09-07-2010, 02:24 PM
saw a few companies out yesterday on the holiday....all with open bed trucks and trailers.
Sounds like you had more than just one hand in your trailer.

I'm in Cambridge. I'll keep an eye out.
Make sure you check on as many pawn shops as you can.
They never keep up with serial numbers, just DL's.

milsaps118
09-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Yep....., I'll be keeping a close eye on craigslist for a while. The cop told me that all pawn shops are required to record a serial # or some kind of id # from any item they take. That # gets entered into a state data base that law enforcement uses. If a pawn shop enters a serial/id # from something that was reported stolen with a matching # the pawn shop is automatically alerted to call the cops.

Who knows how well this system works though........:confused:

Unit28...thanks for the look out.

mnglocker
09-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Brooklyn Center, MN - Corner of Shingle Creek & Freeway Blvd between 1-2pm

That's the problem right there. Lock your stuff up at all times, unless it's in your hands or under your ass, it'll disapear quick in Crooklyn Center. I'll keep my eyes peeled on CL also, btw call the Pawn shops in the area and let them know. There's a huge Pawn America in Columbia Heights just down 694 that has a ton of equipment.

PLS-Tx
09-08-2010, 01:34 AM
That stinks, I hope you get it back. If it's anything like our area the cops are as bad as the crooks.

milsaps118
09-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Well...nothing so far on craigslist. I though for sure some dumb azz would have tried to sell my stuff on there already.

Funny side note. I was at the same place this Monday mowing, exactly 1 wk from the day I got ripped off. I come mowing around a corner an find a $50 bill blowing around out in the lawn!:laugh: Just about ran it over!:D

SuperPROlawnScalper
09-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Well...nothing so far on craigslist. I though for sure some dumb azz would have tried to sell my stuff on there already.

Funny side note. I was at the same place this Monday mowing, exactly 1 wk from the day I got ripped off. I come mowing around a corner an find a $50 bill blowing around out in the lawn!:laugh: Just about ran it over!:D

should have run it over, then you would have had more money... right?

Tyler7692
09-15-2010, 06:11 PM
should have run it over, then you would have had more money... right?

No, he would have just redistributed the wealth!

Big C
09-17-2010, 11:27 AM
No, I was on a job site mowing and I left the rear ramp door down (open) and they walked right in, grabbed what was easiest and left.

That's why I always feel like enclosed trailers are not as secure as people make them out to be....for the theives to steal the same items off of an open trailer, the theives would have had to cut the lock for each peice of equipment due to all peices having individual locks. Having an enclosed trailer open while mowing backyards is why I didn't go with an enclosed trailer when I upgraded last year.....JMO

punt66
09-17-2010, 11:52 AM
That's why I always feel like enclosed trailers are not as secure as people make them out to be....for the theives to steal the same items off of an open trailer, the theives would have had to cut the lock for each peice of equipment due to all peices having individual locks. Having an enclosed trailer open while mowing backyards is why I didn't go with an enclosed trailer when I upgraded last year.....JMO

ha? just close and lock the door. Instead you choose to lock everything individually? In an open you can just reach from the side. Plus if a thief wants something he is going to get it no matter how it is set up. Enclosed trailers are not as inviting as opens.

MR-G
09-21-2010, 08:55 AM
2 yrs ago scumbags broke into one of our trailers (enclosed) and took everything but the mowers....all less than a yr old stihl...3 of everything !!
needless to say we now have alarm systems and a camera in each trailer...all running off a deep cycle battery that is kept charged by a small solar panel on the roof....so far no problems....the camera is a motion activated hunting camera...digital so is easy to retrieve or clear and reset...about 5 yrs ago a good friend of mine was working solo and saw a guy go into his trailer...he was putting equipment into the back of a pick up truck...my buddy quietly snuck up on the trailer and closed the dirtbag inside...called the cops and had him disposed of....made the news and was oh so cool !!

punt66
09-21-2010, 09:10 AM
2 yrs ago scumbags broke into one of our trailers (enclosed) and took everything but the mowers....all less than a yr old stihl...3 of everything !!
needless to say we now have alarm systems and a camera in each trailer...all running off a deep cycle battery that is kept charged by a small solar panel on the roof....so far no problems....the camera is a motion activated hunting camera...digital so is easy to retrieve or clear and reset...about 5 yrs ago a good friend of mine was working solo and saw a guy go into his trailer...he was putting equipment into the back of a pick up truck...my buddy quietly snuck up on the trailer and closed the dirtbag inside...called the cops and had him disposed of....made the news and was oh so cool !!

haha thats awesome.

wahlturfcare
09-21-2010, 03:14 PM
i would post a ad on cragslist of what you are looking for and willing to pay top dollar for it. my brother did it once and found his kids missing dirt bike that was stolen.

unit28
09-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Date: 2010-09-21, 3:26PM CDT
Kawasaki KRB 700B Leaf Blower - $150 (St Louis Park)
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/grd/1966205216.html

not yours {I hope} but good deal anyway.

milsaps118
09-22-2010, 06:48 PM

Thanks for posting, had my heart thumping for a second there!!:laugh: Not mine though.:cry: I called the number and it's a pawn shop....

punt66
09-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks for posting, had my heart thumping for a second there!!:laugh: Not mine though.:cry: I called the number and it's a pawn shop....

so why wouldnt it be yours because its at a pawn shop?

milsaps118
09-23-2010, 05:09 PM
so why wouldnt it be yours because its at a pawn shop?

Because that one has been sitting at the pawn shop for 30 days before it was even listed for sale just last week. My blower got stolen 3 weeks ago.

milsaps118
09-23-2010, 05:15 PM

I went down there today and checked it out. Probably 3-4 years old but in good condition. I offered them $100 cash and the guy said no way. He came back at me with $130+tax, we ended up settling at $125. Not a bad deal IMO. My insurance already sent me my check so I figured what the heck mineaswell replace it.

tallrick
09-26-2010, 12:46 AM
A friend had his enclosed trailer broken in once and stolen and cleaned out the next time. My solution was to rig up the new trailer with a large smoke bomb. Someone tried to pry the lock off and triggered the alarm. When the smoke cleared he found the crowbar and a cell phone. Sugar and stump remover sure is fun!

Junior M
09-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Out of sight, out of mind. Always remember that.

newz7151
09-26-2010, 03:48 AM
My solution was to rig up the new trailer with a large smoke bomb.Sugar and stump remover sure is fun!

Can you detail this? I assume you created the smoker?

unit28
10-07-2010, 08:49 AM
I went down there today and checked it out. Probably 3-4 years old but in good condition. I offered them $100 cash and the guy said no way. He came back at me with $130+tax, we ended up settling at $125. Not a bad deal IMO. My insurance already sent me my check so I figured what the heck mineaswell replace it.

good deal.

I checked the CL today and found another one with very little info.
Looked kinda like a desperate need to get rid of it.
it's in Coon Rapids posted 2010-10-06, 10:56PM CDT

Anyway good you got another one so you can move on.

Happy trails ...........

GroundsGuys USA
10-18-2010, 05:10 PM
It is very important to keep detailed information about all of your equipment. Even if something gets stolen and you find it, without a receipt or proof of ownership you will never get it back

f50lvr2
10-19-2010, 12:51 AM
I had a problem with gas cans getting stolen earlier this year in a certain neighborhood. I'd strap them down, cables, etc. and they'd find ways to get them, usually involving some sort of knife or cutting device.

Being a solo operator, it would happen while I was in a back yard. After a couple of times over the course of a month or so I switched my cans over to the yellow "diesel" cans and haven't had a problem since and don't have to lock them down.

So the thieves figure diesel isn't worth stealing for a gas car and if a diesel driver steals 10-15 gal of petrol and puts it in their car...

WenzelOSLLC
10-20-2010, 09:49 PM
So the thieves figure diesel isn't worth stealing for a gas car and if a diesel driver steals 10-15 gal of petrol and puts it in their car...

Can you say sweet justice? :rolleyes:

FuturePilot4u
11-15-2010, 12:22 AM
smith -n- wesson

gasracer
11-16-2010, 11:49 AM
You can only do so much to protect yourself(locks,record all serial numbers,pictures). I have locks on everything on my trailer.Even log chains through the big stuff to the trailer.
I don't like being out of site of my trailer when I am working solo.

sdk1959
11-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Unless a thief is casing you every week you mow and knows exactly what you have a locked box truck or locked enclosed trailor is your best protection. Won't get ripped off by any "opportunity thieves".

Out of site, out of mind. Pays to lock it when you are in the backyard.

brianslawncare
11-26-2010, 07:30 PM
does the property you were mowing have security cameras? hope they do. a couple years back i didnt have racks and my trimmers were laying in the bed of the trailer i was mowing when i came around the front the 15yrs old little bast??? ran he didnt get them but if i was one minute longer they would have been gone. good luck hope you catch them,check local pawn shops they probley needed drug money!

topsites
11-28-2010, 01:08 PM
I am only saying this because you're not the first it's happened to...

Yep....., I'll be keeping a close eye on craigslist for a while. The cop told me that all pawn shops are required to record a serial # or some kind of id # from any item they take. That # gets entered into a state data base that law enforcement uses. If a pawn shop enters a serial/id # from something that was reported stolen with a matching # the pawn shop is automatically alerted to call the cops.

Who knows how well this system works though........:confused:

Unit28...thanks for the look out.

It works only as well as the Lco's who happen to have said Serial # on record,
no offense, because unfortunately most of us don't so the fault this time falls on us,
as does the responsibility.

It would be a wise idea, anytime a piece of equipment is purchased, to write down the serial number and keep that on record.

gasracer
11-28-2010, 02:45 PM
If you are smart you have it recorded with your insurance company

ADVANTEC LAWNS
12-17-2010, 03:18 PM

UHH !!! Not Very Bright!!!! :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead: Next Time Close your Sh*t up!!!!