PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding-Whens a good time aerate and seed (New England Region)

FDambr123
09-07-2010, 12:45 AM
It's September and it's beginning to cool down, when is a good time to aerate and put down some seed?

I like to detach in the spring followed with a spring feeding but I've noticed my lawn could use some more seeding to encourage a thicker lawn. I thought of detaching in the spring aerating in the fall.
-Do you believe that is unnecessary and too much?
I also thought about adding a yard of loam to my front yard,after aerating just to encourage a better lawn and promote the new seed.
-Is loam unnecessary or will it aid the new seed and the established lawn?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

CLARK LAWN
09-07-2010, 08:18 AM
how dry is it up there? around here it is so dry that i dont think i can even get penatration into the soil with my aerator. how much thatch do you have, you want about 1/2 inch in cool season grasses. are you going to irragate the lawn after you seed it?

punt66
09-07-2010, 08:36 AM
It's September and it's beginning to cool down, when is a good time to aerate and put down some seed?

I like to detach in the spring followed with a spring feeding but I've noticed my lawn could use some more seeding to encourage a thicker lawn. I thought of detaching in the spring aerating in the fall.
-Do you believe that is unnecessary and too much?
I also thought about adding a yard of loam to my front yard,after aerating just to encourage a better lawn and promote the new seed.
-Is loam unnecessary or will it aid the new seed and the established lawn?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

i will add loam in trouble areas only. Do it right now.

capcitydude
09-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I hope now is a good time. I live just outside of Boston and plan on reseeding my entire lawn in 4 to 5 days, weather permitting.

FDambr123
09-07-2010, 02:30 PM
it's been pretty dry over here but slowly turning around. in response to how much thatch i have, I do not know. Many areas on the lawn are clearly filled with thatch without any growing grass. This is from the long periods of hot weather we have had.