PDA

View Full Version : Cub Cadet Pro Blades and Sharpening

Alan Bechard
08-08-2002, 05:16 PM
A week or two ago I went to sharpen the blades on my new Cub Cadet Pro M48 Tank ZTR. I pull the blades and dang they are not flat! Oh Man, brand new mower, all the blades are dished, but wait, they are all dished the same, I go to my dealer and pick up my spare blades that I had ordered when I bought the mower and my brand new blades have the same angles to them. They are what I would call a depressed center blade, but they are not truly flat on the cutting ends either, I would say they have about 1/4" to 3/8" inch of drop over the last 5" of blade. I am not sure that I am explaining this well.

Let me try again, If you laid the blade flat on a ruler with a tip at the 0 point you could stick a 1/4" drill bit under the blade at the 5" point.

It cuts very nicely and has good results.

How do I tell when this blade is truly "bent"

How much out of true can they be before I start to see it in the grass?

Mr. Magnamatic, will you be at the Nashville Show? I am looking for a show special balancer and would like to bring along a blade to sharpen, can I do that?

Thanks for the help.

Al B

Dennis E.
08-08-2002, 06:23 PM
They are "flex" blades. I went thru this same scenario years ago. Took the blades back to the dealer and complained.
Parts mngr. looked at me and said "They are supposed to be like that. Flex blades look that way."
I guess they straighten out when mowing. That's all I can tell ya'.
I've got some now that are like that for my Viper. BTW... They are for a Cub 54" ZTR(Tank?).They cut great.
Hope this helps.

wriken
08-08-2002, 07:30 PM
They might be called (offset) blades, thats what I get when I order aftermarket blades. I have the Tank M-60. Hope this helps. At least they look alot alike, cut the same etc. One differance is the stock blades are 3"s wide and these are 2.5"s wide. I order the thickest ones I can get .25 thick. Also its hard to get 3/4 in hole, so I order, but you can get them with 1/2 or 5/8 In. center hole, I take them to machine shop and they make the hole bigger, all in all still cheaper the cub blades at least where I get them.