PDA

View Full Version : First sting of my green career

Tony Harrell
08-08-2002, 10:22 PM
I haven't been stung since I was about 10. Back in the'60s, I was stung by about 200 yellowjackets and had to go to the hospital. Since that time, I'm the guy that freaks whenever a bee comes around me. You've seen us, jumping and swatting. I've been very careful and very lucky considering my full time job is pest control. It ended today. I was watching my lines to make sure my stripes were lining up and I walked right into a loaded butterfly bush. I got it at the lash level on my lower eyelid. I could almost swear it was a bumble bee, it happened so fast I can't be sure though. Anybody else had any surprises this season?

ProMo
08-08-2002, 10:35 PM
i got nailed in the eye lid about 2 weeks ago it was some kind of ant didnt get a good look at it because i was only seeing with 1 eye it felt like a bee but it wasnt

lasher66
08-08-2002, 10:39 PM
Last season, I was trimming some shrubs and I did not notice that there was a hornets nest in the middle of the bush, you know the big black ones with white tails. Wow, I didnt even see it coming, I thought I hit a electrical line with my trimmer because they all stung me right at once all over my body so it was like a big shock. That was the biggest scare I have ever been through. Everywhere that they stung me I had big swollen bruises and I had to walk with a limp because my ankles were all swollen. Now when I mow I constantly have a phobia of getting stung now. Oh, well, I hope I dont have to experience that again.

Lasher

Lawn-Scapes
08-08-2002, 10:57 PM
I freak at the sight of bees too...

I got stung two weeks ago while trimming a hedge. Popped a couple of benedryl (sp?) capsules.. Went back to work.. no more than a minute later.. hit again on the cheek. Packed up and went home. A couple days later blowing off a wallkway.. Stung again! More benedryl.... I hate bees!

Sean Adams
08-09-2002, 12:23 AM
Funny sight....

I can't stand the thought of getting stung. I almost take off in a dead sprint if I hear something buzzing.

About 5 years ago, one of my employees was quite the prankster. He was tall - 6'7". He would sneak up beside me and rub his fingers together in my ear and it sounded like a bee or wasp was buzzing inside. Usually freaked me out.

We were mowing a lawn - fairly sized (2 acres or so). The front yard had a gradual slope to it. I was mowing at the very top of the hill when I heard a buzzing sound. I instantly thought it was him fooling with me. I turned and saw he was on the other side of the lawn trimming. I realized that I was in trouble. Looked down and saw I just ran over a nest in the yard.

Instantly I was attacked. 4 of my employees, the client and his mother, and three people walking by got quite a show. I let go of the 48' and started smaking myself and waving hysterically. Bees everywhere. But being the consumate anal professional I am, I chased the mower to ensure straight lines all the way down the hill. One hand on the mower, no blades going, smacking myself all over my body. Got to the bottom of the lawn to a round of applause, a swollen body, but.....

A straight line. One of my proudest moments to date.

cglservice
08-09-2002, 12:28 AM
I mowed this cemetary for three years, this time of year the yellow jackets start heading for the ground, well ever year they
would nail me, ever year they were in a different place sprayed the hole twice (felt like useing a flame thrower).

Well this year not going to happen gave that job up.

I hate to be stung myself.:angry:

Esby
08-09-2002, 12:28 AM
I've been stung 4 times this year, they came all at once-right in the back. But the kicker was last year when I ran over a ground hive. Managed to get away, but not without being stung 17 times. I had to take the rest of the day off as the swelling around my neck went down. Sent my help on his way solo. Now I carry a bee sting kit in my truck at all times. Not being able to breathe, well it scared the **** out of me. Hopefully it won't happen again like that.