PDA

View Full Version : Erosion control

mybowtie
09-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Is there a pre seeded erosion mat for steep slpoes? Customer has a very steep slope that "slid" this spring. Its only 60' from the back of his house. He had an enginer come out and do core samples and it was determined the house is not in danger, but the enginer recommended planting the area. Cant walk the bank, is more of a cliff then a bank. Any suggestions???

Smallaxe
09-08-2010, 07:37 AM
There is always, some indigenous clinging groundcover plant that will work. Or you can wrap the cliff with woven wire and plant pockets of various flowers.

mybowtie
09-08-2010, 07:46 AM
If I can find something that isnt too costly, I plan on getting some seed and keep tossing it over the bank...It will grow, might take awhile...lol

Smallaxe
09-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Here we have a five leaf ivy that will spread rather quickly and is not expensive if you dig it out of the ditchline of a backroad. Set them in a spot that is easy to water, and move the vines into the desired position once a week or so.
If you throw seed over the cliff, don't forget to close your eyes and make a wish. :)

mybowtie
09-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Any wildflower seed or crownvech will work. CV is a pain to get started, and takes a couple yrs to really get going.

Ill close my eyes and wish the wind dont blow the seed in em....:rolleyes:

VO Landscape Design
09-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Try some Ribbon Grass (really spreads fast) or other low growing Ornamental grass.
VO

Potomac Lawns Inc.
09-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Might want to try hydro seeding it if you can, add wood fiber blend for the mulch, or seed an curlex the hillside

Smallaxe
09-08-2010, 08:17 PM
It all depends on the severity of your slope, and what 'takes' and what doesn't. If you think grass is a possiblity, then go for it. A multitude of different possibilities, is worth looking into, including wildflowers... There are cliffs, then there are, 'cliffs'.

mybowtie
09-09-2010, 01:29 PM
This is very steep. The town enginere sugested hydroseeding and a jute mat to help the grass till it takes hold.