PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are still changing

Southern Lawns
08-08-2002, 09:54 PM
blades out with hand tools? We put off the purchase of an air tank for most of last year, this year we broke down and got a Porter/Cable tank, gun, hoses and various fittings. $270.00. Was the best purchase of the year so far. We change out much more often and with little effort. The toughest part is bleeding the tank after each time! If you've been thinking of getting one for the shop, no need to wait, it will be worth it. Just thought I would pass that on.

agrostis palustris
08-08-2002, 10:00 PM
I did the same thing last year. I bought a small (20 gal) Campwell Hausing compressor last year. I think I paid $200 for it with a couple attachments. I got pissed with the thing because it wouldn't remove lug nuts from an employee's car one night. I wound up buying a bigger (60 gal) Ingersol Rand compressor this winter for about $800 plus some attachments and am very happy with it.

Lawn-Scapes
08-08-2002, 10:15 PM
I have a tank and tools but have been unable to use them :cry: being an apartment dweller. I just finished changing out blades tonite.. What a PITA. But this will change one month from today.. We should be just finishing our move into our new home. I can't wait to use the gun again!

Southern Lawns
08-08-2002, 10:21 PM
Congrats on the new home, I know you must be chomping at the bit. It's been 6 years since we built this one and I still remember the transition time well. Half of everything was in storage. It was always the half we needed at the time:( . Best wishes.
Raymond

LAWNGODFATHER
08-08-2002, 10:31 PM
I bleed my tank once a year.

33 gal craftsmen 8 years old, and will still be going.

I bet you didn't know after many years as an auto mechanic, that the more you bleed your tank the more prone to rust it is. Now you let uncompressed air in their and the oxygen has time to cause rust and penitrate the steel in the tank.

I only bleed it long enough to let the little bit of water in their out, and I pick a low humidity day to do it in the fall.

Sean Adams
08-08-2002, 10:55 PM
This is why LawnSite is such a great place.... Where else will you get detailed information and advice about bleeding a tank, humidity levels, and so on. Sometimes changing blades by hand is worse than the work itself, but can be humorous at times. A tank is a great investment.

Barkleymut
08-09-2002, 09:07 PM
I just bought a Makita electric impact wrench on Ebay. Now I just have to go to Home Depot and buy a socket and i will be ready. I didn't have much need for other tools powered by an air tank so I thought this was much easier.

geogunn
08-09-2002, 10:17 PM
electric is probably the way to go but I use air as far as impact wrenches are concerned

I have a sears 25 or 30 gal, or whatever, and an impact wrench from home cheapo. I don't care what brand it is.

it does a great job. ALSO... the mini die grinder does a great job for quick dressing of the blades.

and there is the air gun. cool!

I have to ask the question about all you pneumatic guys...

what do you do for an oiler and a moisture trap?

personally I use oil made for the tool everytime I use it and after I use it rather than having all that stuff on the line.

one day I'll have all that stuff ready but not today.

GEO

Flex-Deck
08-09-2002, 10:25 PM
Air Compressors are a must - blow out radiators - sharpen blades (I still like the hand held air driven side grinder with the fiber blade that creates almost no heat - buy them at True-Value) for sharpening. It also runs my plasma cutter etc etc etc./

thanks brad

Scag48
08-09-2002, 10:34 PM
We've got a large tank, don't know exact size, proably around 50-60 gallons. I use an air impact wrench to take off blades. We have some sort of socket wrench that runs off the tank. It's small enough to get into tight spots and is a great alternative to sockets if you're using them alot on one job. My favorite part about impact wrenches is that cool sound they make! :laugh:

C4chris70
08-09-2002, 11:04 PM
I almost always use my air impact wrench to change blades. Tuesday I got a little lazy and decided to change my blades by hand and ended up slicing two fingers to the bone when my wrench slipped off the blade bolt and my fingers hit freshly sharpened blades. I won't be so lazy next time. For those of you that still do this by hand, be careful.

Richard Martin
08-10-2002, 03:55 AM
I use an electric impact to change the blades on my Exmark and I do the blades on the Dixie by hand and pnuematically. On the Dixie I break the blades loose with my torque wrench and then run the rather long bolt out with my air rachet. Reverse the process for installation.

awm
08-10-2002, 07:13 AM
i takes my lil 12 volt impact out an snatch them suckas off. :) aint had my first cup yet.:(

Turfdude
08-10-2002, 04:14 PM
Compressors are a must have in this indutry. I've had one for as long as I can remeber now. We have a 1/2" CP air impact gun, 3/8" air drive tool, die grinder, cut-off tool, tire inflator, etc..

Also must haves as the business grows: power washer to clean engines, undersides of decks, undercarrages of dump trucks, etc.
arc welder - for all of the smaller - medium jobs - trailer repair, deck repairs, grass gobbler repairs (not fun - thin steel), etc.

Bob

LAWNGODFATHER
08-10-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by geogunn
what do you do for an oiler and a moisture trap?

personally I use oil made for the tool everytime I use it and after I use it rather than having all that stuff on the line.

one day I'll have all that stuff ready but not today.

GEO

I fill the oil daily hole with oil made for the gun about 4 times a year. No water trap.

Southern Lawns
08-10-2002, 08:52 PM
No water trap here. Oil the guns every time we use it. Hmmmmmmmm Maybe we need to listen to LGF, Bleed tank annually and oil guns 4 times a year. Hey if it's workin it's workin! Right LGF?

Likestomow
08-10-2002, 09:43 PM
I have a 120v corded impact wrench for the shop, and a 14.4v portable which I carry with me in the truck. I have come to depend on the cordless one to do repairs in the field. When changing the engine to deck belt on a DC, itís almost impossible to remove the pulley from the triangle plate without an impact wrench. Occasionally I use it to rattle off lug nuts, and it is such a benefit. If either went down, Iíd have to replace them right away.

When I need air, I use my 9 gallon portable tank, which I refill at WalMart for free.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-10-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Southern Lawns
No water trap here. Oil the guns every time we use it. Hmmmmmmmm Maybe we need to listen to LGF, Bleed tank annually and oil guns 4 times a year. Hey if it's workin it's workin! Right LGF?

I used to be an auto mechanic (well still am)

When I worked in a shop the oiler and dryer were mounted in the lines. I have used the same impact gun for 13 years like this minus the 2 years I was turning wrenches.

Speaking of all this I oiled the air tools today and bled the tank.

The oil daily on the gun is for normal shop use, not turning a few bolts during the week. Using on mowers is no where close to normal use.

Example is a home owner buying a commercial mower to mow their lawn weekly.

We are far far below normal use.

Same goes for the compressor tank.

Southern Lawns
08-10-2002, 11:53 PM
Makes sense to me. One question on the way you leave your tank. Do you leave it pressurized or do you pop the top pressure release valve after each use? I have been letting all air out of the bottom valve after each day of shop maintenance, leaving it open till next time. It makes sense as to what you are saying, I mean look at all these gas station places that have "free air" etc. and the .50 air thingy where you vacuum a car, I know they don't get maintained, but then again they are always broken or out of order.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-11-2002, 12:00 AM
I leave it pressurized.

When I bleed it, I open the relief valve then open the bottom drain to let any water out. There usualy is not much in there.

Then I close it and start it right back up.

Those free air things are actualy pumps with no tanks.

The only ones that have tanks are the ones you don't hear the compressor kick on when you use them. Best way to tell is there will be pressure in the line if it is tank supplied otherwise it is just a pump.