PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using short reach type pole hedge trimmers?

midsouth grass master
09-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new hedge trimmer and I am trying to decide which type best suits me. I have always ran a conventional double sided 24" stihl hedge trimmer, but now i have noticed Echo sells the short reach pole type trimmer with a 20" shaft. I was thinking this type would be better, as it would limit my stooping on smaller bushes and also most of the weight would be in the rear of the trimmer. Only thing I'm worried about is how practical it is for normal trimming? Seems to me with the short shaft it would be comfortable on normal trimming, but i have only used the long reach pole style and don't really know. I'm hoping some of you guys currently use one of these smaller ones and can chime in and let me know how you like it for standard trimming. Thanks guys!

Turf Dawg
09-08-2010, 04:31 PM
I personally love the short shaft trimmers with articulating heads. I do not even own any more standard type trimmers since I tried the short reach ones. I have a Kawasaki short shaft trimmer and a Redmax short shaft trimmer because I like the small teeth on the trimmer better than the large teeth on the Stihl and Echo, they make dense small leaf shrubs like Boxwoods and Yaupon so much easier. Also if you have a Redmax or Kawasaki string trimmer then you can switch the heads and use them for long shaft hedge trimmers when you need them.

midsouth grass master
09-08-2010, 06:57 PM
I personally love the short shaft trimmers with articulating heads. I do not even own any more standard type trimmers since I tried the short reach ones. I have a Kawasaki short shaft trimmer and a Redmax short shaft trimmer because I like the small teeth on the trimmer better than the large teeth on the Stihl and Echo, they make dense small leaf shrubs like Boxwoods and Yaupon so much easier. Also if you have a Redmax or Kawasaki string trimmer then you can switch the heads and use them for long shaft hedge trimmers when you need them.

Thanks! That is exactly the info I was looking for! It seems to me they would be a lot easier and more comfortable than the conventional type.

I currently have a stihl fs90 trimmer so I guess I need to get the stihl short shaft hedge trimmer so I can interchange. I did notice the stihl short shaft is a bit longer than some. Do you think the 30" shaft would be too long for normal use?

Turf Dawg
09-08-2010, 07:26 PM
It would probably be fine. I did have a Stihl 135* atachment that I put on my FS 90 and though I did not think it cut as well as the others I mentioned I will say I loved how easy it was to change angles on.

bel-nor
09-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I have an Echo HC-150 and HCA-265 (long shaft) they are both great but I bought the HC-150 first due to pricing. The HCA-265 has the articulating head you can trim ivy standing straight up or trim tall ornamental trees withease. they cut about the same performance wise but after having the long shaft I would go that route.

BCLawns
09-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Just like my mowers, I have all different types of hedge clippers. Echo shorty, Stihl mid, Shindy long.

My fav is the Shindy.

midsouth grass master
09-08-2010, 11:33 PM
I have an Echo HC-150 and HCA-265 (long shaft) they are both great but I bought the HC-150 first due to pricing. The HCA-265 has the articulating head you can trim ivy standing straight up or trim tall ornamental trees withease. they cut about the same performance wise but after having the long shaft I would go that route.

I have used the long reach trimmers myself and I like them, but I am interested in how well the short lenght pole types work for normal trimming applications. I am wanting to replace my standard hedge trimmer and I was thinking that the short shaft trimmer would be more ergonomic and comfortable. I have never used a short shaft and was wondering if it is practical for normal trimming. Just don't want to buy it and realize that its not suited for how I want to use it!

georgiagrass
09-18-2010, 02:29 AM
Works great. You may not need the short trimmers at all.