PDA

View Full Version : kohler hard to start when hot need help

milo
09-08-2010, 10:17 PM
ok 27hp kohler on lazer z. first start when cold fires right up fast. if i cut a lawn and shut it off and start it 5 minutes later starts great too but i load up and go to next yard and go to start it and cranks for like 5 to 10 seconds before starting.... anyone have a clue? i heard change oil and did that and will see tomorrow but also heard probally the coils going bad. dosent this engine have 2 coils? and whats the chance they both go bad same time or is it a single coil? any info great.

billslawn89
09-08-2010, 10:37 PM
ya! i would like to know too, same with my NEW scag turf tiger, crank, crank, crank when engine it hot in the afternoon. i want my liquid cooled kawi back.

milo
09-08-2010, 10:55 PM
i just was reading it could be a sheered flywheel key????? can i tell this by just taking off the cover or do i need to pull the flywheel to see this??

flatlander42
09-08-2010, 11:06 PM
My 27hp cranks for quite a while all the time. Sometimes it seems like a long time. (close to 5-10 seconds too)

SkinnyVinny
09-09-2010, 12:34 AM
same here... I started a thread like this a few days ago but nobody seems to give a helpful answer.. maybe you will have some luck with someone, I will keep checking back..

MileHigh
09-09-2010, 12:43 AM
I have same motor on my lazer...

Does the same thing as yours...

First start of the day...I choke with throttle all the way down and starts right up.
Rest of the day if warm...I have throttle up 65% or so up and it seems to start much better.

Also...I always shut down at at half throttle...otherwise they are prone to backfires.

soloscaperman
09-09-2010, 12:48 AM
I have the same mower. Once it's warm I notice when turning the key to start it it is very SENSITVE. Just flick the key fast and it should start .5 seconds. Keep the throttle and choke all the way down you don't need it unless the mower has been sitting for more then 3-6 hours. When it's cold choke all the way and have have the throttle at 2% then when it starts throw the choke down and put the throttle at 25%-50%

milo
09-09-2010, 02:11 AM
I have the same mower. Once it's warm I notice when turning the key to start it it is very SENSITVE. Just flick the key fast and it should start .5 seconds. Keep the throttle and choke all the way down you don't need it unless the mower has been sitting for more then 3-6 hours. When it's cold choke all the way and have have the throttle at 2% then when it starts throw the choke down and put the throttle at 25%-50%

lol... i will try it though i am thinking its bad coils.
PEOPLE LETS FIGURE THIS ONE OUT alot of us seem to have it:dancing:

soloscaperman
09-09-2010, 09:52 AM
It should work. I noticed you can easily flood it if you hold the key for more then a second then after that it's hard to start. Just turn the key real fast.

Turf Dawg
09-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Heck, I thought this was just normal for Kohlers because everyone I ever had does this.

milo
09-09-2010, 03:23 PM
WELL TODAY after changing oil last night i seen no difference. i put in 10w30. well i then stopped and bought some stp oil treatment the thick stuff and put in like 5 ounces well after adding that the rest of the day it started right up. i dont know yet if this really made it better for sure cause i only started it 4 more times all day but it did fire right up.
the reason for me trying to thicken oil up was a older mechanic said some hydrolic lifters leak out if oil is to thin causing valves to not open all the way or at all till new oil fills them again causing you to crank till pressure is right nthen it fires. it kinda made sence on how he put it but i (so far) think this may fix it.
by the way i was using 5w30 went to 10w30 no change, added stp oil treatment like 5oz and rest of day fired right up, now im pissed that i bought 2 new coils off ebay for $185.00 before even seeing if this helped:hammerhead:

Turf Dawg
09-09-2010, 04:08 PM
If it is the lifters, then why do they start the best after they have been sitting all night and the least amount of oil is in there? I still say this has to do with the carbs/intakes on these and not a firing or oil in the lifters problem.

Hoy landscaping
09-09-2010, 07:04 PM
my 27 kholer crap does the same things. I hate those engines. and it backfires if u shut it off full throttle or half, or as low as it goes. i found that you have to go all the way down for a second then back to a quarter-half throttle.

I will never buy another Kholer engine. they suck

cgaengineer
09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
If the intake/exhaust valve is not closing all the way it will be hard to start when warm since the valve stems and lifters get longer when hot. It may be as simple as too little clearance between lifter and valve.
Posted via Mobile Device

milo
09-09-2010, 09:06 PM
If it is the lifters, then why do they start the best after they have been sitting all night and the least amount of oil is in there? I still say this has to do with the carbs/intakes on these and not a firing or oil in the lifters problem.
i thought the same thing but as the guy explained it to me it made sense. something about the oil that stays in there gets thicker when cold and does not leak out and has enough pressure when thicker than when thinner cause it still the same amount...
i dont know, like i said though, once i added some today the next 4 starts hot it started right up.
i called 5 kohler dealers by me today and asked them all what they thought, almost all said either a coil or both coils going out when hot or dirt in carb or valve issue. well after hearing all the people with same problem on same engine i dont think we all have dirt in our carb doing same thing so i figured coils since they said about it and i thought it too and they have a newer one to replace them with so i bought them but for $2.99 for stp i said y not well only time will tell but so far it helped me

milo
09-12-2010, 06:06 PM
anyone else gonna try this too?

milo
09-14-2010, 07:21 PM
ok, oil did not change anything. i got my new coils and put them on. i tried it so far alot better but still just one day. when i use it more will post if this fixes it.

MileHigh
09-15-2010, 09:25 AM

there is the ticket right there...

been starting real fast with that technique.

:drinkup:

JCLawn and more
09-15-2010, 09:51 AM
my dads JD 400 with a 20hp kholer did the same thing. The valve thing makes sense. That also would explain why you have to compensate with the throttle. In my mind