PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions

steve5966
09-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Need ideas to cover the base of this post. We are using Belgard Urbana pavers, Anchor Highland wall block and natural stone. Changing the post would be best but it is not an option at this point.

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=584&pictureid=3865

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=584&pictureid=3864

tadpole
09-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Is a planter around the post base an option?

steve5966
09-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Is a planter around the post base an option?

There are six posts throughout the patio of various base heights. Due to the original ground heigth two bases are too high to cut paver right to the wood. Looking for something subtle to cover the concrete.

Budlightshooter
09-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Post a quick pic of the whole patio.....gives us a better understanding

shovelracer
09-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Just build a wood box to cover them up.

DeereHauler
09-09-2010, 06:10 PM
im not a fan of making a nice patio and covering stuff with wood, but the best i can come up with is making the posts look like they're part of a pier i guess.... i drew it because i can't explain it... i would keep it as small as possible, may have to custom fit around those concrete bases.

just my idea.

shovelracer
09-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Keep in mind those are just blocks. Unless there is more that we cant see, those posts are not on footers, and thus the whole thing will move so anything solid is out. They can always get pillar covers, but somehow i dont think it fits the house.

DVS Hardscaper
09-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Probably should refer to the handy dandy ICPI spec book for this.

We usually just create some type of planter boxes around the posts.

Either out of wood. Or Block. Or natural Stone. Find a nice wood, stain it, and it'll add a nice soft appearance.

The planter needs to be KEPT simple. Sooner or later the posts WILL need replacement. Replacement of the posts should be as easily accomplishable as possible.

I never understand why people put deck posts on concrete piers like that. Planting the post IN THE GROUND reduces sway......

steve5966
09-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Keep in mind those are just blocks. Unless there is more that we cant see, those posts are not on footers, and thus the whole thing will move so anything solid is out. They can always get pillar covers, but somehow i dont think it fits the house.

This is Nebraska, everything has footings.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I was trying to avoid any type of trip hazard, but it looks like a small box around it is the way we will go.

steve5966
09-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Probably should refer to the handy dandy ICPI spec book for this.

I never understand why people put deck posts on concrete piers like that. Planting the post IN THE GROUND reduces sway......

Is there a spec for this? Really? I'm too lazy to look, but if you want to find it for me i'll gladly read it.

Wood in the ground rots. Doesn't matter what it's treated with or what type of wood it is, it will rot quicker in the ground than out.

scagrider22
09-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Is there a spec for this? Really? I'm too lazy to look, but if you want to find it for me i'll gladly read it.

Wood in the ground rots. Doesn't matter what it's treated with or what type of wood it is, it will rot quicker in the ground than out.

The decking will rot out faster than a burried post. In Ohio we put the post 36" deep with a 8" or more concrete footer below the post and the post is always the last to rot. I would recomend talking the owner into new posts that are burried but if not just get some cedar 1''x8"s or 1"x10"s and built a square post cover then wrap the top and bottom of the post cover with a 1"x6" to finish it off. It should cover those crappy blocks and it will make the post look more sustantial. Hope this helps

shovelracer
09-11-2010, 01:01 PM
This is Nebraska, everything has footings.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I was trying to avoid any type of trip hazard, but it looks like a small box around it is the way we will go.

You mean everything in your state is supposed to have footings. Have you actually checked to see if those are more than blocks. Around here you can get those exact blocks at any box store. Don't ever assume the guy before you did the job right.

On the other note a lot of towns simply wont allow for buried posts anymore. True they may limit sway, but proper bracing does the same without placing horizontal loads on the footer. Also if the footer is placed properly it never needs to be replaced, with a post inside you dont get that, and you run the risk that an unknown, rotted, below grade post will give way.

DVS Hardscaper
09-11-2010, 02:07 PM
I think we all know that wood rots :)

Not to turn this topic into a *to bury or not to bury" topic -

Posts are easily replaceable. No different than a pier on an ocean, lake, river, etc.

Budlightshooter
09-12-2010, 11:17 AM
heres what i would do....thats why i asked to see if you had another pics of the site, but just going off the pic you have heres what i would do....

http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/85580-438x.jpg?1252383521

http://www.spartanbuild.com/images/new-craftsman_01.jpg

so to that nature.......