PDA

View Full Version : Annoying toro problem

OSU 09
09-09-2010, 04:28 PM
I have a z master Z589 that seems to have this annoying little problem. About 2 or 3 times a day, when I turn the PTO on it throws the spring off that keeps the tension on the deck belt. I get off put it back on, and its fine. Anybody else ever had this problem?

mbrew
09-09-2010, 04:51 PM
It's just a guess, but I'm thinking the belt is stretched. Squeezing the end of the spring closed a little may help, but I'm betting a belt is the real fix.

OSU 09
09-09-2010, 04:58 PM
My thought would be something like that, however I just bought it this spring. Its at about 215 hours now.

Ruben Rocha
09-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Well there is a chance the belt is defective.
When the spring jumps off I assume the belt does also?
It could be the reverse. The belt jumps off the pulleys then no tension so the spring pops off also.
You could have had some trash such as a stick or pine cone lodge in one of the pulleys the first time it came off. This can damage the belt where the cords in the the belt are broken or twisted the belt causing the the belt to not track true anymore.

Another guess here.

OSU 09
09-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Spring jumps off, sometimes the belt does too, sometimes not.

Ruben Rocha
09-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Well without knowing what you really have need a serial number besides the model number . It could be a bad pulley bearing or bad spindle causing a wobble when you turn on the blades. Or it could be as simple as your blades are not balanced and your RPM's are to high when engaging the blades.

I would still start with a new belt. while it is off check all the pulleys with bearings for excessive wear.