PDA

View Full Version : What is the best compact loader/ skid steer.?

integrityman
09-09-2010, 07:08 PM
OK guys- need some advise here.

What make and models do you like the best? Boxer, Bobcat, Toro-dingo, Prowler???

Looking for something with capability to take a larger bucket, take a 36" auger, till, etc.

Would prefer diesel... but gas ok too...I guess.... needs some feedback what engine do you like best?

Would also like something with a good dump height too.

fl-landscapes
09-09-2010, 08:08 PM
dump height will always be an issue with a mini. I bought a boxer 425d this year. This company sells inventory off at a big discount. Great company to work with. One of my tracks had a tear from shipping and they sent a tech out asap and replaced no questions asked http://www.cpecdirect.com/inventoryreduction

turfed
09-09-2010, 08:31 PM
I don't own one, but the local rental place has an Vermeer. I wish i knew the model. Gets the material into my 1 ton dump easily. I did some research on them a while back and it has more lifting capacity at a higher height than the dingo. Not sure about any of the others.

integrityman
09-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys- I'm currently running a Kubota sub compact tractor....and would like something with a lot more versatility. I love my K-bo but id like it to dig bigger post holes, have tree forks, blah blah blah....

Oasis-Outdoor
09-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Integrityman,

If you use the search feature on here there is a thread somewhere that has tons of information about mini skids. I don't have time to search right now or I would post the link. If I find it again in the near future I will post the link. It has reviews, pictures and performance evaluations, and is an excellent resource.

DIXIECONTRACTING
09-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Toro Dingo by far might have slightly less cap. than Bobcat but is the easiest to opperate and holds up well. I have had my tx425 for four years and no problems at all. A real moneymaker !!!

DIXIECONTRACTING
09-10-2010, 01:26 PM
I also have a split bucket listed for sale that helps with your dump height it will increase your height by about 8" - 12"

BrandonV
09-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Sk 650= king of the midget skids
Posted via Mobile Device

YardGal
06-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Or...free is good too. I'm just saying...:)

SDLandscapes VT
06-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Agree SK 650 from Ditch Witch King of the Mini-Skids

White Gardens
06-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Vermeer isn't far behind, and I'd put it to the pepsi challenge against a Ditch Witch.

I've got and s600tx Vermeer, gas, and I couldn't be happier. I know Vermeer makes the S800TX now and I'm guessing, without driving one, that it's a beast.

SDLandscapes VT
06-25-2011, 01:33 PM
WG

Vermeer has spent a great deal of money on perfecting the controls for the s600TX and s800TX and this is where I see them having a small edge over the ditch witch. We rented extensively an s600TX diesel before purchasing the sk650. The controls are not that hard to get used to and the benefits of the DW far far outweigh the difference in ease of controls. The DW is a far more robust machine--I tell people it is a mini with the heart and guts of a full size machine. I liked the Vermeer and thought I would buy one, but after taking everything into consideration price, performance, dealer responsiveness etc...the DW blew the vermeer away in every category.

White Gardens
06-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Ya, it seems like everyone is saying that the Ditch Witch is a bit more power-full than the Vermeer, and I don't disagree with that.

My decision was based mostly on dealer location. I have a Vermeer dealer 20 minutes away and a DW dealer 1.25 hours away.

Over-all though, I've never run into a situation where I needed more power. For the work I do it suits me just fine. The gas option I know is where my pitfall is, but the money I saved allowed me to buy my back-hoe attachment and the auxiliary hydraulics on the machine is more than enough to run it and any other attachment I put on it.

The only time I run into power issues is when I'm articulating the lift arm and bucket at the same time as I'm moving forward at full speed. When I demoed the diesel, that issues wasn't there.

Even so, if the 27 horse Kohler that is in it goes south, then I'll upgrade to a larger motor such as a 33 horse Generac motor, or even a 36 horse Kohler. The Generac would probably be the better choice as I love how they don't drop too many RPM's when it gets under load compared to the Kohler.

In a nutshell, it's all preference. If I had to pick my top three mini's, it would be the Vermeer, DW, and then the Boxer.

Bigred350
06-27-2011, 09:56 PM
I got a diesel boxer with almost a 1000 hours on it and I run the hell out of it every day.....never have had any problems. I will buy another one when this one dies.

jonlavonne
06-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Just got the new vermeer s800TX. Awesome machine. I've owned 4 Ramrods and am just grateful they gave me anything on trade. Love the joysticks and the Kubota diesel.

wallace014
06-30-2011, 10:34 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=93903&highlight=mini+skid+discussion

arbor pro
07-01-2011, 09:24 AM
I have tried just about all of them. The DW 650 is awesome. If you don't need that much power and lift capacity, a bobcat mt is great as is a DW500. Boxer is good but I don't care for the controls. Vermeer is also very good machine but way overpriced compared to a bobcat or dingo which are basically the same in performance and controls.

BTW - I recently bought a new DW sk650 and am selling my bobcat MT with only 96hrs incase anyone is interested. Have a bunch of attachments for it...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=355411