PDA

View Full Version : Kawi starter disengages

CT18fireman
09-09-2010, 08:33 PM
25 horse Kawi vertical. Starter will crank all day, battery good, circuit good etc. Motor starts quick when warm. Motor is in good running order.

Problem is when cold, but its not really a cold start problem. Starter will spin motor. Throttle open choke pulled. Very quickly motor catches, pops but does not fire. This causes the starter gear to release, though starter keeps spinning. Have to do this 4 or 5 time before motor pops enough to fire. This is a recent development before it would pop a couple times (not a backfire) then push the choke in while still cranking and it would fire up. It just won't keep engaged. I can get the gear assembly (gear, spring etc.) that mounts to the top of the starter for $30. Is this a solution or am I overlooking something.

Restrorob
09-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Sounds like the starter drive clutch isn't staying engaged as the engine fires, So I'd say your on the right track.....

rwaters
09-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I have a feeling your right, but check your ring gear(the gear on the flywheel that the starter goes in) that could cause your problems as well.

milo
09-09-2010, 10:14 PM
hi, yes thats what you need. every kawasaki engine i had, had this problem and yes cold they are way worse. its not to hard to fix but thats your problem