PDA

View Full Version : ? for all you in the North!

Hoopsfan
08-09-2002, 02:11 PM
I'm curious to know what everyone does during the winter for income. Some of the guys I've talked to take the winter off after working all summer, some plow snow, others work in hardware stores.

Thanks
Hoopsfan

Firefighter Dave
08-09-2002, 03:17 PM
SNOW! - It's a four letter word! :D

I have had almost all my cutsomers ask if I do snow removal. I've said no so far.... but maybe. But I do work a fulltime job as a firefighter so my winters are fine...

It would have to pay big time for me to get out in the cold!

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

Hoopsfan
08-09-2002, 06:11 PM
nm

Expert Lawns
08-09-2002, 08:12 PM
i go to college during the winter and work part time. i'm not about to put a few grand into a plow and then have another winter with no snow.

what part of MI are you from?

Doc Pete
08-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
i go to college during the winter and work part time. i'm not about to put a few grand into a plow and then have another winter with no snow.

what part of MI are you from?

I'm the only guy in NJ that snow "blows". OK, I don't make $200 an hour with a plow, but I do make over $100 with the blower.
It's fun, and I don't have to worry about all the headaches of a plow and truck. And, my big machine 13hp 45" wide Cub Cadet, was only $2,000. I have another 13hp with a small 33" cut, to punch through anything the plows can't.
Pete

Runner
08-09-2002, 08:29 PM
Income? That is why I CHOSE this profession. What do I do during the winter? Everything that I CAN'T do during the summer. THIS is my time for going up north, travel, seeing friends,etc.. I get mine during the 8 mo. that we work. I put into a "slush" fund, just like any other summer contractor, (cement, construction, etc..) It is leaving enough budgeted for medical and retirement that is the hard part. Yes, I HAVE taken on work for something to do, but that is mainly to avoid cabin fever. Eventually, I want to take some exotic vacations during the winter, but I have a few years to go before that happens.

Hoopsfan
08-09-2002, 11:26 PM
Taking the winter off would be ideal. Maybe do a few snow removal jobs just to get out of the house. It all depends on how lucrative the summers are.

Ax Man
08-10-2002, 09:38 AM
Ski.
I run the race department, and coaching for the local ski area.
For a few weeks it's more hours than the summer work!
We train over 200 athletes, and take thier money again when they come to compete 2- 10 times per season.

It's fun, I get contact with second home owners, and it keeps me from going crazy.

The two seasons over lap a little so it can be pretty buzy in spring and fall.

Hoopsfan
08-10-2002, 10:27 PM
I know a couple guys that were plowing snow, but got out of it because they said they were being dragged into slip and fall lawsuits every other week. They said it wasn't worth it. Anyone else have liability problems removing snow?

kerrigan
08-10-2002, 11:13 PM
I have been pusing snow here when we get it, over 10 yrs, and never had a lawsuit or claim brought against my company. But as the saying goes just have good insurance and tell the customers if you plow them you also have to salt them or walk away.

Hoopsfan
08-11-2002, 07:51 AM
Let me ask a question. Do you charge per job? Some companies charge one price for the season so they get paid whether is snows or not. Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages to this type of contract.

Doc Pete
08-11-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by kerrigan
I have been pusing snow here when we get it, over 10 yrs, and never had a lawsuit or claim brought against my company. But as the saying goes just have good insurance and tell the customers if you plow them you also have to salt them or walk away.

I do Homeowners only, and leave the salting to them. I have not had a lawsuit, either. However, I do cut the lawn of my Dentist.

Here in the middle of the summer, a lady running with high heels to get her check up fell on the sidewalk and sued the Dentist, saying the walk wasn't level. Then, the husband sued the Dentist also, because of "loss of use" of his wife's services from the cast on her leg. Luckily I blow the walks clear as part of my mowing service. They lost the case, but it still cost the Dentist for the lawyers.
Anyway, I guess I'm saying you could be sued for any ridiculous reason, so try not to worry..........

kerrigan
08-11-2002, 11:37 AM
I charge by the push, I still have this pesky conscience thing that i am trying to get of to switch to yearly contracts and have a set fee. I charge by # for salt.

dr grass
08-11-2002, 12:32 PM
i usually plow snow in the winter. unfortunately, my plow truck was stolen a few months back, so im going to do some siding work this winter. ill worry about buying another truck next year. always have enough money set aside for winter also.

Shep

Hoopsfan
08-12-2002, 05:41 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'll push snow on a limited basis just to get out of the house once in awhile.

BRIMOW525
08-12-2002, 05:35 PM
We definetly plow. ALOT of money around here. (when it snows) Yea it can be a gamble sometimes but when the snows flying... money is to be made!

HarryD
08-12-2002, 06:14 PM
ice fishing is what i do

KLR
08-12-2002, 06:51 PM
We shut down for the winter....we put in plenty of hours during the growing season. my wife usually has a long list of stuff that needs fixin around the house!

the point man
08-12-2002, 08:13 PM
At the first sign of snow I head for St Petersburg, Fla and stay
there until April. I can be found behind the bar at Cha Cha
Coconuts, The Pier, St Petersburg. Stop in and I'll make you a
Bushwacker!

hustlers
08-12-2002, 11:06 PM
Vacation, volunteer missions work

100 days of Mexico, the beach, and
good food