PDA

View Full Version : Question on trailers.

Hoopsfan
08-09-2002, 04:06 PM
I'm entering the lawn care business and would like your input on trailers. What are the advantages and disadvantages of open versus closed trailers. I'm looking at a 20' Wells Cargo LS series, very impressed with it, but thought the price of $6700 was a little high. Does this sound like too much? What about other brands of closed trailers? I'd appreciate all input.

Thanks
Hoopsfan

wattsup
08-09-2002, 04:27 PM
First, do a search. This exact topic was discussed recently. Second, if you are just starting in the business do not let yourself buy more than you need. I spent too much money on equipment and some of it has only been used once. Just be smart and research everything you plan to buy, and demo as much as possible before buying. Good luck in your new venture.
P.S.
I have both open and enclosed trailers. Both have their pros and cons like I said do a search and read until your eyes pop out.

KLMlawn
08-09-2002, 04:34 PM
In My opinion, enclosed has more benefits than open, but the final choice is up to you. With enclosed, you can just load everything at the last stop and put the locks on and park it ... no unloading and reloading it every morning and afternoon. Keeps things dry and safe, especially if you really don't have garage space to put everything in at night. Plus, in the morning, just turn the key and go.
But then again, that is just My opinion ....

hoagie
08-09-2002, 07:03 PM
$6700 for a 20' Wells LS sounds like a great price.... I paid $6500 for a 16' x 8' Wells Cargo LS.

Is that 20' interior (usable space)? Or total length?

Potomac Lawns Inc.
08-09-2002, 07:46 PM
I use a 20 x 7 open trailer and yes that is usable space, have no problems what so ever with it so much easier to get stuff on and off but then again it is nice to be able to keep your stuff enclosed and out of the elements but i can't but a JD 1070 inside an enclosed trailer either. I like the open just my opinion. I would always buy a little bigger than you think you will need incase you change equipment or want to add more.

Steve

Hoopsfan
08-09-2002, 08:41 PM
That's 20' overall length. I'm leaning toward an enclosed for several reasons...storage space, protection from the elements, I can keep it locked up outside, etc..

AGG Lawn Maintenance
08-09-2002, 09:17 PM
I always ran open traliers. But not having to load and unload is great. A couple of my friends run box (cube vans) trucks. I am leaning towards buying one. I'm done with the whole trailer thing. Flats, lights that work when they want etc. Good luck with what ever you pick. travis

Tony Harrell
08-09-2002, 11:41 PM
I have a 6.6x12 open trailer with side and back ramps. I've been thinking about box vans though. I just hate worrying about a trailer. One down side to the box van is hauling mulch. I could always keep my present trailer or have it delivered though.

JimB
08-11-2002, 12:56 AM
:dizzy: the enclosed trailer is the best way to do it because your equipment wont rust , fall off the trailer or get stolen at night, however, 6700 bucks for just a trailer alone is a lot of money for an initial investment and not to mention what the mowers and other stuff is gonna cost you, if you got the dough than go for it but I would start out really simple and cheap just to see if your even gonna like this business.

...Jim

LAWNGODFATHER
08-11-2002, 01:39 AM
Haulmark in Beckemeyer Illinois.

8.5 X 20 for $4395

618-227-8814

Wackerline Trailer Sales 815-786-2504 further north.

Hoopsfan
08-11-2002, 07:02 AM
I got a quote on a Haulmark 18' for $4450 up here in Michigan. How does Haulmark compare to Wells Cargo as far as quality. Obviously WC makes a good trailer and you can't go wrong with any of their trailers, but is it worth the extra money? I like the fact that they pressure treat the floors on the LS series. But is it really necessary to treat the floors? How do the floors on the Haulmark hold up compared to the WC floors?

All comments are welcome!

Thanks,
Hoopsfan

65hoss
08-11-2002, 07:26 AM
Haulmark makes very good trailers.

crazygator
08-11-2002, 12:02 PM
I have both an open and enclosed. If I had to do all over again I would get one of the new V-nose type enclosed trailers. Far less wind resistance, and most have a ramp in the front as well as the ramp in the back, which would work better for those of us pulling the ZTR and walkbehinds. Just my thoughts!

My enclosed is a 7' x 16' and I have plenty of room. The open is a 6.5' x 12' and it too is ok for size. But remember I only have the 36" Exmark and 60" Dixie to bring. You guys have more toys than me......:D

beck
08-11-2002, 12:38 PM
You can also save a few $s by picking it up yourself. The majority of the manufacturers are in Indiana. For shipping to St. Louis it was around $450.

I got a quote from MSI in Turf Magazine for around $4500 for 8.5 X 20 with a few extra options(longer tongue, extra lights, extra roof vent)
1-800-348-8541

mobilestructures.com (http://www.mobilestructures.com)

As does crazygator i have the 7X16 and it has plenty of room for a 36(or any w/b) + a ZTR, but add another and it is cramped for space. I can fit a 21,36,52,and ZTR but that takes up all floor space. I would recommend the 8.5 wide.

Hoopsfan
08-12-2002, 04:38 AM
Thanks for all the replies and info. I think I'm going with the Haulmark 18'. Sounds like the best bang for the buck!