PDA

View Full Version : walker running hot

Springmeadows
09-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Guys for the last week or so, my walker has been running hot. I have tried everything from air filter, furl filter, spark plugs, changing the oil and filter, to removing the muffler today. I kinda thought that the muffler was the cause, thinking that there is some kind of restriction inside it. It took much longer to get hot with the muffler off, but it still set the bells and idiot lights off when I was mowing. I'm gonna replace the muffler with a new one, but it wasn't the cause of the engine getting hot.

I'm out of ideas other than just the motor being wore out. It has 1400 hrs. on it right now. It runs, starts and mows perfect just gets really hot after running about an hour.

MarcSmith
09-10-2010, 09:27 PM
walker recommends that every year the engine shrouds are removed and and cooling fins cleaned. at least on the air cooled units...I assume that sicne you are getitng bells and wistles you have a liquid cooled unit.

if that the case. maybe you have some buildup in the radiator... bad t-stat. old coolant...

fixer67
09-10-2010, 09:29 PM
MT? MTEFI? MTL? MTLEFI?...Need more than infor than that. Need year, model and serial

Springmeadows
09-10-2010, 09:31 PM
No radiator. My walker is air cooled. I have taken all the shrouds off and blown out any grass or debris already. I can't find any debris anywhere in the motor cooling fins or shrouds. I took the protective plate off the rear of the motor and blew out there too. There was a little grass around the oil filter and the fins there, but not today.

fixer67
09-10-2010, 09:33 PM
OK but is it a MT or a MTEFI model?

Springmeadows
09-10-2010, 09:34 PM
It's a 1996 Walker MT. I removed the hopper for the summer. It has 1400 hrs on the Kohler 20 hp. No donaldson filter unit,the previous owner took all that off, so it just has a regular air filter cover with a debris system like the older units. Running 10x30 synthetic in right now. Don't have the serial number right here, it's carburated not EFI.

MarcSmith
09-10-2010, 09:34 PM
could be something a simple as a bad sending unit giving false high temp readings

Springmeadows
09-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Since typing this I have thought that it could be a bad sending unit or something really simple like that. Also thought I am assuming that the air filter cover doesn't have anything caught in it.

fixer67
09-10-2010, 10:05 PM
OK there are two sending units on that model. On is on the cylinder head. On older unit it was on the rear cylinder but has been moved to the front cylinder on newer models. There is a second sender under the starter that reads oil temp. The wire runs behind the starter and I have seen it get pinched and cause the alarm and light to go off. I have seen wet dirt and grass cause the alarm to sound (but not light) if it builds up under the starter and shorts the oil temp sender out. Does the engine have a SAM unit? You did not give engine numbers. I have seen a bad SAM advance the timing and cause an engine to run hot.

Springmeadows
09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
I found the trouble today with the walker. I took the motor out to make sure everything was clear around the motor and also drill out the manifold bolts that broke when I took off the muffler, Friday. When I got the engine out I took off the cowlings around the starter and found grass caked all down the side and cooling fins of the motor. This is definately what was making it run hot. I got the manifold bolts replaced and ready for the new muffler when it comes.

Now after putting it back together I started it up and now the ignition switch won't trun off the engine. I have gone over it and over and somehow missed a wire. Anybody know what I'm missing. It starts perfectly and runs, but when you turn the switch off it continues to run. I did not take anything off the switch, didn't even have that part open. I would say it's a wire that's on the starter or somewhere bak there. I'm sure I'll figure it out, just tired and too close to it tonight. Any help would be appriciated.

Springmeadows
09-15-2010, 09:48 AM
I found the problem with the switch not shutting off the motor. One of the wiring connections was not snapped all the way in. Thanks for all the ideas and help on this machine fix. Now I just install the new muffler.