PDA

View Full Version : anyone heard of ......

Sweet Tater
09-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Clevera?? (sp) I have a customer asking for this plant and cannnot find it online to even figure out what it is. do you know?

cut level
09-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Cleyera and yes I have 2 clients with these things in their beds. Seem to be pretty hearty and they are low maintenance. I am in west Tn you shouldnt have any problems finding Cleyera's.

Sweet Tater
09-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Cleyera and yes I have 2 clients with these things in their beds. Seem to be pretty hearty and they are low maintenance. I am in west Tn you shouldnt have any problems finding Cleyera's.

thank you so much for correcting me and letting me know,I didnt have a clue

Think Green
09-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Cleyera Japonica resembles the ill fated Photina Frazeri. I replace the photina with the cleyera japonica because of their hardiness and non prone acceptance to black spot disease-blight..
Is this customer wanting the same response by replacing some or just by chance asking for them?
There is usually a reason for someone asking for a particular species of plant. These things are insect resistant.

Sweet Tater
09-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Cleyera Japonica resembles the ill fated Photina Frazeri. I replace the photina with the cleyera japonica because of their hardiness and non prone acceptance to black spot disease-blight..
Is this customer wanting the same response by replacing some or just by chance asking for them?
There is usually a reason for someone asking for a particular species of plant. These things are insect resistant.

New house, new landscape, they do their research, guess they found one they liked

cut level
09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
2 of my clients adn my mother also has some of them and they have been very easy to maintain. I did not know they were insect resistant but I have never seen insect harm on them anywhere.

Think Green
09-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Photina Frazeri are more prone to aphid, leaf miner, scale insects. The Cleyera hasn't exhibited any insect damage in mast quantities around my area.......other than drought damage.

georgiagrass
09-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Cleyera are used extensively in Atlanta area. Very hardy, attractive evergreen shrub. They add a splash of color because new growth comes out as coppery/red. We've planted thousands of them.

FLAhaulboy
09-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Cleyera is a very popular plant used in Florida. I've yet to encounter any diseases or insects on a Cleyera. Easy to grow and trim.