PDA

View Full Version : Am I smoking Something Or Is This guy

JeremySkrocki
08-09-2002, 06:13 PM
I was asked to bid a bush hog job, and then maintain, the property for the rest of the season. The property is about 1.5 acres and I bid the job at $135 to bush hog and then $280 per month to maintain the property. But I was just told by the client, that another company bid $150 per month, for a 2 month contract, that encluded the bush hoging. Am I way off on my bid or is this guy missing something? I fortunatly have not submitted the bid, the client just disclosed this info for me, but she is a referal from a good customer, that I would hate to see get burned, so if my suspictions are right and this guy is way off, I would like to give her a heads up that she may not get what she is looking for.

Please help, very baffled by this news.

Thank You
Jeremy

m&m
08-09-2002, 06:22 PM
is there any weedeating and is the place wide open where you can just run right thru it?also, is the house sitting in the middle of the 1.5 acres or is this the total area of lawn to care for?

JeremySkrocki
08-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Yes the the house is in the middle of the lot, but its a small 1200sf or so house and it includes Mow/Trim/Edge/Blow.

wattsup
08-09-2002, 08:08 PM
How tall is the grass? If it is high enough it really needs a bushhog you are right on. For my bushhog to move it costs $150, after that it varies. I do not know how anyone can do that job for that price, unless they live next door. I just re-read your post, that is crazy. No way, there has to be a communication problem or the customer is jacking with you to get you to go low. Good luck.

Runner
08-09-2002, 08:22 PM
Give her a small lesson in the nature of business. Explain to her different cost factors, and what it costs to run and maintain the equipment AND the business. Explain that if someone is doing it, or attemting to do this for this cost, it is for one of two reasons. First, the person is so inexperienced that they are ignorant of these costs and operations pertaining to them. Second, if they ARE doing this kind of thing at this type of cost, it is because they are cutting costs in some other areas - like insurance, for example. Let her know you see it all the time, and if she wants to go with having it done right, by a professional business, then you're the man. If she wants to roll the dice, and assume the liability of anything that happens on that property, both to property AND/OR anyONE on that property, including the guy doing the work, she can save a few bucks, but open up for a litigation nightmare. It can happen and DOES. We see and hear about it all the time. If she wants testimony of other professionals, I'd be happy to give it to her. I'm sure there are many others here who could do the same. You could simply tell her that you consoled with other pros, and THEY all agreed. Print this thread and show her.

You don't have to show her the site name, and you don't have to show her this sentence,- that is why it's spaced.

FrankenScagMachines
08-09-2002, 10:56 PM
To print just a certain amount of text, highlight what you want and click on "file" then on "print" then there is an option "Print selection" or something like that, that way you can only get parts you want.
Eric

m&m
08-09-2002, 11:05 PM
well man, with that given, id say u r right on track.............i wouldnt go any lower...........never say no to a job......just give them ur price and go from there

Jimbo
08-09-2002, 11:24 PM
Jeremy-

can you please explain to me why your monthly maintenance is more expensive than the initial Cutting?

This really seems odd to me. I usually set my inital cut price high and once the property is in order my monthly maintenance cost is less.

I dont follow your logic.

Jim

m&m
08-09-2002, 11:29 PM
i can see why he is pricing like that
................if i hook up to my flatbed and haul my big tractor out to a job, i have a set price on that for it to leave yard for any work....minimum...........its only one cut.......the reg maintenance is 4 cuts a month so i see his point

greenman
08-09-2002, 11:31 PM
I don't think I would do it for $150. Maybe at least $220.

m&m
08-09-2002, 11:34 PM
i think he meant 1,200 sf like he said.....if they had a 12,000 sf house, i would think they would be more interested in a maid rather than a lawn maintenance guy

Jimbo
08-09-2002, 11:54 PM
Thanks M&M.

I thought he was charging 135.00 for intial bush hog service, and then every month (for maintenace) he would bush hog once again for 280.00

I would still go higher on intial cut. Dont they want the grass around the house mowed, trimmed, blowed during that intial cut?

Jim

m&m
08-09-2002, 11:56 PM
that is true jimbo cause u cant get close with a bush hog like u can a ztr....something to think about cause there will be more weed eating than normal

JeremySkrocki
08-10-2002, 03:43 PM
Since I would be doing the job in the month of August, the weekly lawn maintenance contract covers the mow/trim/edge/blow when I bush hog, and since the first week of the month is gone, I am making a little extra cause I am only going to be mowing the yard 3 times this month.

Jeremy

65hoss
08-11-2002, 07:23 AM
I think your prices are pretty good. I also agree with Runner. Educate the customer, but don't back down. If she chooses the other guy for now, so be it. She will learn a lesson about reliability and quality. Don't lose sleep over it.

JeremySkrocki
08-12-2002, 06:59 PM
I called her today to discuss the price, and she notified me that, over the weekend her and her boyfriend rented a bushhog and bush hogged the whole yard.

This lady confusses me.

Thanks for your help

Jeremy