PDA

View Full Version : LCO's are crap to people

kc2006
09-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Ever notice we as lawn care companies are crap to people? I try to present as much of a professional image to people as possible and think I'm more professional then some actual "professional" contractors, IE construction companies, plumbers, roofers, electricians. Yet people still put us at the bottom.

If a yard is brown, your cutting it higher and less frequently, your blades are sharp, your doing all you can, and they have trugreen out there efing it up. It's your fault. Because "Trugreens a national company, they must know what they're doing". Yet i have a license and all my yards I fert are nice and green.

Or like situation. Yesterday a property manager for a plaza I maintain calls up and says he got a complaint because I took a pizza huts signs after I mowed on Tuesday the 7th. I haven't been there since August 31st. I call him back, leave a message saying that, say I never even remove the signs they're trimmed around. I also mention BTW you owe $1500. They always do this where they go 3 months behind then pay at once. I get a call this morning Pizza hut district manager throwing a fit on my voicemail that I need to return the signs as soon as possible or I'll be paying for them. I call him back and get on him and explain the situation, instantly "oh its ok, i'm just tryin to find them buddy, I wasn't accusing you of anything".

The biggest thing I hate of this business, is that we are nothing to people and everyone things we're just trash that will mow their yard for 10 bucks.

weed wacker 2
09-11-2010, 11:41 AM
I feel your pain brother

yardguy28
09-11-2010, 12:07 PM
i could really care less what anyone thinks of me and my profession.

as long as people are hiring me and paying me to do there work i don't care if they put me at bottom.

the goal in my business is to do what i love and make the money i need to live. as long as that happens i don't care who has me at the bottom or disrespect my profession.

sometimes i'm inclinded to agree with people who put lco's at the bottom because at least on a site like this too many of them whine all the damn time about this or that. how many threads are there where an lco is complaining they don't get respect or titles like "these are the type of clients you don't want".

do your job and shut up. as long as your getting business and making a profit who gives a damn what people think of you.

bradseabridge
09-11-2010, 03:18 PM

as long as people are hiring me and paying me to do there work i don't care if they put me at bottom.

the goal in my business is to do what i love and make the money i need to live. as long as that happens i don't care who has me at the bottom or disrespect my profession.

sometimes i'm inclinded to agree with people who put lco's at the bottom because at least on a site like this too many of them whine all the damn time about this or that. how many threads are there where an lco is complaining they don't get respect or titles like "these are the type of clients you don't want".

do your job and shut up. as long as your getting business and making a profit who gives a damn what people think of you.

quoted FOR TRUTH!

kc2006
09-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Eh I guess some people just have more self respect and live a life to a higher standard than others.

Sweet Tater
09-11-2010, 04:49 PM

can I get an AMEN Brother:clapping:

yardguy28
09-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Eh I guess some people just have more self respect and live a life to a higher standard than others.

its not about self respect and living a life of higher standards.

if it's one thing i don't understand in this world in general, not just lawn care is why people care what others think of them?

the only people i'm concerned with are my family and friends. if i don't know you from adam i could care less what you think of me. why spend your life trying to impress everyone and trying to get everyone to think so highly of you? what does it get you in life?

my point being for the lawn industy side is that where your clients place you on the list doesn't get you any more money or business. why would it bother you if you had 100 clients and take home pay was 100,000 a year and your clients all put you at the bottom of the list?

your getting paid, your staying busy, your providing for your family. if the clients all think your a jerk who cares. it's not like your suffering with lack of work or money.

i'm in this business for me, myself and i. and i'm sure so are the rest of you. we are all doing this business to make money to provide ourselves and familys with the needs in life. so as long as we are doing that why care what people think of us?

93Chevy
09-11-2010, 06:15 PM
There's an element of "I don't care what people think" in this industry and having self-respect. (This is not directed toward any particular post)

Example:

I don't care if people think of me as a "lawn boy" however, I treat every lawn as if "it were my own" (finished product looks as good as possible).

I don't care if people rag on me because I'm only part-time self-employed, however I do keep my personal and business separate, I wear company shirts when I work for myself, and I try to keep a professional front.

I don't care if people look down on me because I drive a 15 year old truck, however I always keep my truck clean, 95% rust free (for now), complete exhaust system (no leaks/cracks), and I keep the mechanical side of it maintained so it doesn't leave me stranded.

So while I've been brought up most of my life to "not care what anybody else thinks," I try to "take care of myself" so to speak by treating everybody (almost) and myself with respect.

So I guess my point is that I agree with most of the prior posts, but there's a little more in my thought process as well.

yardguy28
09-11-2010, 06:56 PM
i know your post wasn't directed towards a certain poster and neither is this post i'm about ot make.

i to "take care of myself".......

i do it for myself, for my family and for my friends. no body else. because i truely don't care what anyone else things of me. if the next door neighbor thinks i'm an @ss so what. if my clients put me at the bottom of list who cares. if people on this forum find me to be full of sheot oh well.

each and every day i wake up i spend being myself. you don't like who i am, thats to bad. you don't like my profession, you don't have to. you consider me just the lawn monkey who cuts your grass, fine.

my happiness is not based off of pleasing others, especially people i've never met or don't know on a personal basis.

i will always fail to see the point in whinning about things such as this issue. if it really bothers you that people put you at the bottom of the list get a different job. whinning about it isn't going to make it better.

maybe i see things in a more simple light than others. my focus in my business is doing what i love and getting paid the money i need to have the essentials in life. thats it. i don't care about respect from the clients. i don't care if the see me as just the guy who cuts the lawn. my goals in life are being met as long as i'm working in this industry, staying busy and getting paid.

half of my clients i've never met and 3/4 or more i never speak a single word to. so why would i care if those people who aren't really in my life respect me or not?

93Chevy
09-11-2010, 09:06 PM
I guess what I most relate to is school, because I'm fresh out. There's 3 main types of people, relevant to this situation that I've noticed.

1. Those who honestly don't care what anybody thinks. Geeks, dorks, those who don't shower regularly.
2. Those who care what everybody thinks. Jocks, cheerleaders, etc.
3. Those who hold themselves to high standards, while being "secure" in who they are. They don't care what others think, but they respect themselves.

Note: This post is probably irrelevant to the original topic. I'm merely trying to reason out my first post.

Secondly, I do not condone stereotypes. I was just using those stereotypes for example purposes only.

calvinslawnservices
09-11-2010, 09:20 PM
I honestly don't care what people think of me. But I do want them to treat me with respect. I have one customer that calls me "good boy" I don't think he even knows my name and it pisses me off. I would drop him like a stone but he is one of my highest paying customer.
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
09-11-2010, 09:39 PM
I just get PO'ed when I'm getting my mower or trimmer out of my trailer and some jerk has to drive as fast as they can past me!
Posted via Mobile Device

lazyike
09-11-2010, 09:56 PM
For those of you that have replied that they don't care if people respect them, you are full of it. I know you would be miffed if I walked up to you and started to disrespect you and your business, I really doubt it would not bother you at all. If a person is proud of his business and the work they do it is upsetting if they are not shown respect.

yardguy28
09-11-2010, 10:14 PM
I guess what I most relate to is school, because I'm fresh out. There's 3 main types of people, relevant to this situation that I've noticed.

1. Those who honestly don't care what anybody thinks. Geeks, dorks, those who don't shower regularly.
2. Those who care what everybody thinks. Jocks, cheerleaders, etc.
3. Those who hold themselves to high standards, while being "secure" in who they are. They don't care what others think, but they respect themselves.

Note: This post is probably irrelevant to the original topic. I'm merely trying to reason out my first post.

Secondly, I do not condone stereotypes. I was just using those stereotypes for example purposes only.

number 3 sums me up best. yes i respect myself and hold high standards for myself but i truely don't care what anyone else things about me.

For those of you that have replied that they don't care if people respect them, you are full of it. I know you would be miffed if I walked up to you and started to disrespect you and your business, I really doubt it would not bother you at all. If a person is proud of his business and the work they do it is upsetting if they are not shown respect.

think what you want. you wanna come up to me and talk to sheot about me and my business. i'd probably just walk away and move on about my day.

but thats not really even what i was referring to as not caring what people think of me. the thread starter is upset because his clients and most other people in general but lawn guys at the bottom of the food chain.

i don't get upset by this. i'm not out looking for a pat on the back. sure i'm proud of my business but it's a pride between myself thing. i have no problem with other people thinking they are better than me, smarter than me, etc.

it's enough for me that i know we are all equal in this world no matter what job we do. i'm not bothered by the people that think i'm not educated and that i'm just the guy who cuts there grass. as long as they are paying there invoices i'm happy.

almost none of my clients ever call me when they want to cancel there service for the week. i show up and they either come out or if they aren't home and i see it doesn't need i skip it. they leave hoses out in the lawn for me to roll up. there children's toys are all over the back yard. dog crap is rarely picked up. if they do any yard work themselves they leave the piles of debris in the yard where they were working assuming i will just take it with me. you call that respect?

it doesn't bother me one bit. if it did i would get out of the business.

i don't know what kind of respect you guys are looking for but i personally don't look for it and don't really care what people think of me. end of story.

Puddle of Oil
09-11-2010, 10:22 PM

Totally agree with this!
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
09-11-2010, 10:24 PM
i love it when people try to tell me what i'm feeling or thinking or would do in certain situations.

i get a huge laugh at it.........

lazyike
09-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Yardguy, your right. You are completely centered, and so self secure that you don't care if you are shown respect. You are like Gandhi. I also say you are still full of sh!t that it does not bother you when someone disrespects you. IT'S HUMAN NATURE.

kc2006
09-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Yea I just can't see someone totally not caring. You said it yourself yardguy how people have zero respect for us in all the BS things they do. The money I make does make me "take it" as I'm sure it does you too, but to say it doesn't bug me, I just can't.

In a way, I'm probably worse than others, everyone in my family has always said it and my fiance says it all the time. I'm all about the image I portray. And it's almost a bad thing. I have to have nice stuff to look good. I'll admit that. Maybe staying in this business will break me of it, but for now, I get pizzy about it and will for a while still.

Turf Commando
09-12-2010, 01:20 AM
think what you want. you wanna come up to me and talk to sheot about me and my business. i'd probably just walk away and move on about my day.

Anyone can disrespect your business and you won't be phased.....?

Myself, I'd be a little more then heated and probably would advise the person to leave for their safety sake...

yardguy28
09-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Yardguy, your right. You are completely centered, and so self secure that you don't care if you are shown respect. You are like Gandhi. I also say you are still full of sh!t that it does not bother you when someone disrespects you. IT'S HUMAN NATURE.

i disagree completely. it might be human nature for some but NOT for all. if you demand and require respect then yes i'm sure it is human nature. but why do people in general care what a complete stranger thinks of them. people you will never see in your life ever again.

Yea I just can't see someone totally not caring. You said it yourself yardguy how people have zero respect for us in all the BS things they do. The money I make does make me "take it" as I'm sure it does you too, but to say it doesn't bug me, I just can't.

In a way, I'm probably worse than others, everyone in my family has always said it and my fiance says it all the time. I'm all about the image I portray. And it's almost a bad thing. I have to have nice stuff to look good. I'll admit that. Maybe staying in this business will break me of it, but for now, I get pizzy about it and will for a while still.

Myself, I'd be a little more then heated and probably would advise the person to leave for their safety sake...

no it doesn't phase me in the least. i'm in business for myself. i'm not in this business because it's something the general population needs. so since i'm in if for myself it only matters what i think about my me and my business. not some joe shmoe down the street who i don't know or even one of the many clients i have never met but been working for, for 3 or 4 years now.

my goal in this business is for people to be pleased with the work i do. the work i do is totaly seperate from the person i am. people can like your quality of work but hate you as a person. and i'm not bothered by that all. think and say the worst of me i don't care. if your using my services season after season you must like or prefer my quality of work. which again is total seperate from any feelings you would have towards me as a person.

i don't care if i am listed at the bottom of the food chain. someone has to do this work.

if you knew me you'd better understand what i'm saying. i'm a very independant, self centered person. i only care about me, my family and my friends. if i don't know you or have never met you, you don't get a second thought in my mind.

why would i care what someone thinks or says about me when i wouldn't even help that person if they were being mugged on the street?

so for anyone to claim it's human nature to get upset when someone bad mouths me or disrespects me is a very false opinion of me, but oh well. thats there opinion and they are intitled to it.

kc2006
09-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Well that's the way you feel.

Back to the original thought. People suck. haha.

93Chevy
09-12-2010, 12:12 PM

While I may get a little hot under the collar, so to speak, I don't think it would be in my best interest to "wig out" on somebody because they don't respect what I do.

Jpocket
09-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Yeah, I've been back and forth with this business alot. We just have to accept the fact that dealing with jerks are a part of our business. I've learned to just deal with it, but that doesn't mean I just let ppl walk all over me, I do not tolerate disrespect, lol.

yardguy28
09-12-2010, 05:14 PM
i'm sure some of it is just me.....i'm a very tolerant type of person.

anything i don't like i just let go in one ear and out the other. which is why i say i don't care what people think of me because i really don't. if i don't like what your saying i just let it pass through me.

lifes to short to get upset over something stupid as someone talking sheot about you.

thom
09-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Ever notice we as lawn care companies are crap to people? I try to present as much of a professional image to people as possible and think I'm more professional then some actual "professional" contractors, IE construction companies, plumbers, roofers, electricians. Yet people still put us at the bottom.

If a yard is brown, your cutting it higher and less frequently, your blades are sharp, your doing all you can, and they have trugreen out there efing it up. It's your fault. Because "Trugreens a national company, they must know what they're doing". Yet i have a license and all my yards I fert are nice and green.

Or like situation. Yesterday a property manager for a plaza I maintain calls up and says he got a complaint because I took a pizza huts signs after I mowed on Tuesday the 7th. I haven't been there since August 31st. I call him back, leave a message saying that, say I never even remove the signs they're trimmed around. I also mention BTW you owe $1500. They always do this where they go 3 months behind then pay at once. I get a call this morning Pizza hut district manager throwing a fit on my voicemail that I need to return the signs as soon as possible or I'll be paying for them. I call him back and get on him and explain the situation, instantly "oh its ok, i'm just tryin to find them buddy, I wasn't accusing you of anything".

The biggest thing I hate of this business, is that we are nothing to people and everyone things we're just trash that will mow their yard for 10 bucks.

The lawn care trade is not the only trade that the general public abuse's.I was in the auto repair trade for about 30 years.operated from a 3 bay gas station,on a busy corner.since the very begining,I was constantly dealing with people who believed I should work for free.

LushGreenLawn
09-12-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm going to sound like a jerk, but...

If you truly acted in a more professional manner than the national company, people would trust you more than the national company.

Honestly, people respond to whats in front of them. If you know what your talking about, people will pick up on it. I have had to tell many people that the larger company that they were using prior to me was wrong. I explain, with confidence, in a reasonable amount of detail (don't go overboard), why my method is better. I have never had an issue, and most people thank me for being honest and providing the best service possible.

The main thing is having the experience to know with 100% certainty that your answer is correct. People can tell when your guessing with an answer. 99% of my customers treat me with a great deal of respect, even as they harshly criticize other companys that work for them.

yardguy28
09-12-2010, 08:23 PM

If you truly acted in a more professional manner than the national company, people would trust you more than the national company.

Honestly, people respond to whats in front of them. If you know what your talking about, people will pick up on it. I have had to tell many people that the larger company that they were using prior to me was wrong. I explain, with confidence, in a reasonable amount of detail (don't go overboard), why my method is better. I have never had an issue, and most people thank me for being honest and providing the best service possible.

The main thing is having the experience to know with 100% certainty that your answer is correct. People can tell when your guessing with an answer. 99% of my customers treat me with a great deal of respect, even as they harshly criticize other companys that work for them.

this is a prime example of me not caring what people think.

i don't care if people think i know what i'm talking about nor not. as long as they hire me, pay there invoices and use my services season after season after season.

they can go tell there friends, family, neighbors whatever they want about me. even it's "that guy does great work but don't know a damn thing".

thats great you get treated with a great deal of respect but thats not really something i'm looking for in life. i try to get as much enjoyment out of life as possible and if by me doing that, people disrespect me, oh well. as long as i'm having fun.

Turf Commando
09-12-2010, 08:42 PM
While I may get a little hot under the collar, so to speak, I don't think it would be in my best interest to "wig out" on somebody because they don't respect what I do.

My tempermental is very nice and helpful, someone can only be pushed so far before they crack, for someone to get me to the point will take persistence...
Realistically who really argues witha 6 ft tall, 256 lb MAN....?
:drinkup:

yardguy28
09-12-2010, 08:45 PM
My tempermental is very nice and helpful, someone can only be pushed so far before they crack, for someone to get me to the point will take persistence...
Realistically who really argues witha 6 ft tall, 256 lb MAN....?
:drinkup:

a 6 foot 2 inch, 200 lb MAN would.......:waving:

kc2006
09-12-2010, 10:29 PM

I fully agree with you, and I do try to do everything you said but some people still firmly believe that because they're a national chain that they know what they're doing. And they straight up say that reason. Hell one time they didn't even know what their guy put down, they said it was a full liquid app yet it was solely granular. The customer still sided with them as I physically pointed it out!

You just can't win with some people.

soloscaperman
09-13-2010, 12:41 AM
I notice it's the rich people. You know why???

1.) That's how there brought up.

2.) There jealous because we have the freedom and also we didn't have to spend 100K for college. LET THEM LAUGH WHILE WE LAUGH WITH THERE CHECK GOING TO THE BANK!

bradseabridge
09-13-2010, 12:51 AM
yeah, keep thinking they are jealous of you.

rwaters
09-13-2010, 12:55 AM
The lawn care trade is not the only trade that the general public abuse's.I was in the auto repair trade for about 30 years.operated from a 3 bay gas station,on a busy corner.since the very begining,I was constantly dealing with people who believed I should work for free.

I think any time you do a service for someone else you are likely to be treated like crap. I am not sure I am always even the exception... it was act nice to read about it though as I was feeling like most of my customers looked down on me as a lawn mower dealership. It is never as nice as it seems on the other side of the fence though.

LushGreenLawn
09-13-2010, 02:23 AM
I fully agree with you, and I do try to do everything you said but some people still firmly believe that because they're a national chain that they know what they're doing. And they straight up say that reason. Hell one time they didn't even know what their guy put down, they said it was a full liquid app yet it was solely granular. The customer still sided with them as I physically pointed it out!

You just can't win with some people.

Yes, you are correct. You can win with all people. There are always exceptions.

LushGreenLawn
09-13-2010, 02:27 AM
this is a prime example of me not caring what people think.

i don't care if people think i know what i'm talking about nor not. as long as they hire me, pay there invoices and use my services season after season after season.

they can go tell there friends, family, neighbors whatever they want about me. even it's "that guy does great work but don't know a damn thing".

thats great you get treated with a great deal of respect but thats not really something i'm looking for in life. i try to get as much enjoyment out of life as possible and if by me doing that, people disrespect me, oh well. as long as i'm having fun.

The think is, if people don't think you know what your talking about, they will not hire you season after season. If you have customers that do that, and don't treat you like crap, then you probably know what your talking about.

My post was aimed at the people getting crapped on by their customers. In my opinion, if your customers treat you like crap, then you need to change something, because customers that do that are not happy, and you are in danger of losing them.