PDA

View Full Version : Truck/Trailer wiring?

terrapro
09-11-2010, 06:38 PM
I have a wiring box under my hood for the trailer on a 95 chevy. We are trying to hook up the wiring for the trailer with no luck.

Here is what I have for wires...

Truck side-
big blue wire
small blue wire
brown
yellow
white
red

Trailer side-
yellow
red
black
green
brown
white
blue

GunnPropertyServices
09-11-2010, 09:34 PM
dont worry about the colors, get a test light/multi meter and figure out what they do

they are very cheap if you dont already have one

GunnPropertyServices
09-11-2010, 09:38 PM
make sure you have a good ground when testing

jtsnipe
09-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Go to your local auto parts store and there should be adapters to plug into the wiring harness at your tail lights.It will be a T shape,easy as pie.

fixer67
09-12-2010, 01:54 AM
Go to your local auto parts store and there should be adapters to plug into the wiring harness at your tail lights.It will be a T shape,easy as pie.

An adapter will not solve his wiring problem. read the frist post. This truck has a breakout installed under the hood. This was done back before all the adaptor came out. You just opened the box and switched wires under the hood to change the truck to match the trailer. This was handy when towing trailers not wired the same. I have not seen a breakout box like that in years.

jtsnipe
09-12-2010, 12:25 PM
I have wired and rewired many trucks and trailers.There is standard color coding for trailers.If the wiring on either mixed up start over and do it right.I have owned an 90,97 chevy trucks and the adapters were avalable for both.

terrapro
09-12-2010, 12:33 PM
There is no adaptor, this is a 1ton truck with a distribution block on the rear crossmember. We can get all other lights to work but not the brake lights.

Now we have a new problem though, the guy that is helping crossed the trailer plug wires and now my flashers/hazards won't work and I cannot find the flasher/relay anywhere and none of the fuses are blown. Any ideas? :cry::cry::cry:

jtsnipe
09-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Look under dash on driver side should be what they call a convenience center.Turn flasher is the larger black square bottom left.Hazard flasher should be a round sliver canister behind the light switch behind the dash panel.

jtsnipe
09-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Just checked a Friends and his turn flasher was bottom right.

terrapro
09-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Just checked a Friends and his turn flasher was bottom right.

Thanks, found the turn signal flasher but not the hazard. Replaced the turn and it works. Just need to track down the hazard flasher which at the moment I have no idea.

jtsnipe
09-12-2010, 03:29 PM
should be somewhere close to light switch,mite just be hanging free(just a plug in not a mounted to a panel).

terrapro
09-12-2010, 05:12 PM
should be somewhere close to light switch,mite just be hanging free(just a plug in not a mounted to a panel).

I have searched everywhere and can't find it. Is it possible that the turn signal flasher was dual purpose and I bought the wrong one?

All the lights are working except the brakes now. Can't figure that one out, it is driving us nuts.

GunnPropertyServices
09-12-2010, 09:34 PM
im pretty sure there is only one flasher works for both the signals and harzards

24v6spd
09-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Some vehicles have separate flasher units and some have only one. Try to find a wiring schematic for your truck.

jtsnipe
09-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Checked repair manual earlier and it said they were separate.As far as the brake lights I would check the switch,it mite be blown also.

terrapro
09-13-2010, 08:30 AM
All the lights on the truck work fine it is just the trailer brake lights that don't work right.

jtsnipe
09-14-2010, 08:31 PM
easiest to check for continuity between trailer plug and trailer lights.Also check distribution box and truck plug in.I know you've probably done both but if your truck lights are working then it has to be from the box back.

terrapro
09-14-2010, 09:22 PM
easiest to check for continuity between trailer plug and trailer lights.Also check distribution box and truck plug in.I know you've probably done both but if your truck lights are working then it has to be from the box back.

Thanks for all the help. I ended up dropping $235 on a mechainc to track down the problem.

Ended up being that the previous owner spliced into the headlights which doesn't have brake light signal and after he sent a fresh set of lines back to the rear everything worked. The hardest part of electrical work is the need to go through every little connection. :cry:

jtsnipe
09-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Sorry we could'nt track it down without the cost.Just hard to see what you have in text.