PDA

View Full Version : Kohler won't run after changing fuel filter

tennjohn
09-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Changed my fuel filter for the first time today. Got the motor to crank and it ran for about 30 seconds. Now it will start but will not continue to run. Any ideas on what might be wrong? Haven't really tried anyting yet because it was getting dark.

Restrorob
09-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Remove the filter and check the inside layer of your fuel line, When you slid the new filter on it could have collapsed the inside of the hose.

tennjohn
09-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Thx - I'll check that out in the morning.

P.Services
09-11-2010, 09:48 PM
when it starts how long will it run for?

tennjohn
09-11-2010, 10:02 PM
After the initial time of 30 seconds - each future time it would fire and tghen die - if I held the starter engaged it would continue to run until I stopped

P.Services
09-11-2010, 10:23 PM
well if you have to hold the starter engaged its not really running.

just dump about 3 tbsp of gas on the air filter and put it back on, start it with the choke on and let it run for 5 seconds take choke off, if it dies do it again until it runs fine.

or use starting fluid and give it a 3 second squirt then start.

its out of gas and it cant re prime itself.

KyLawnscapes
09-13-2010, 09:51 PM
This may sound stupid but did you turn the fuel valve on the tank back on?

mower_medix
09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
First - did you purchase the correct fuel filter that belongs to the engine because some fuel filter are set to a certain fuel flow.

Second - you could have lost your prime and you may need to blow some air into the tank to push fuel back up to the fuel pump. take the gas tank cover off and cover the tank hole with you hand and take a air blow gun and put the tip between your fingers and blow into the tank almost like the tank is holding air pressure and make the fuel go up to the fuel pump! watch the fuel filter as you go to see if the fuel is flowing up.

Third - make sure you check your fuel tank for rust or debris build up you could have a blockage.

good luck to you!

Mower Medix LLC.
Little Rock, AR

cgaengineer
09-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Another suggestion and it may sound stupid, but make sure the filter is on in the right direction and that the fuel take has fuel in it.
Posted via Mobile Device