PDA

View Full Version : driving mower, mowing pattern

Roeland
08-09-2002, 06:11 PM
Hi, I just bought my first mower and started doing the lawn. I first do the edges and keep on mowing until only the center part of the lawn is left. The problem I have is in the end. The turning circle of the (old) machine is too big and I have to go backwards and forwards 5 times or so to finish the lawn. Are there other techniques to mow? Which patterns are best ? Please help this beginner. Thanks

Catcher
08-12-2002, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I used to have the same problem. Either way you do it, you'll still spend some amount of time 'cutting air'.
The 2 ways I used to use:
when you get to the small square left on the inside, veer off the long side by making a wide curve, this allows you to get it on with the other side without having to back up.
My preferred method was to cut from the ooutside in like you do, when I was getting to the center square I would not wait until it was too small to handle; with the center being decent size cut through the middle of it instead of going around it.
Now you will make one pass on of the two smaller squares and a pass on the other square on every return trip.
That's the best I could figure out - other than finally buying a ZTR.
Cheerios

leprechaun_50
08-12-2002, 07:42 AM
Mow around your lawn about three widths of your mower, then mow down the length of the yard and back. The next time you mow, mow around the yard the three widths of the mower, then mow diagnial across the yard and back.
Check out some of the threads on stripping, they will explain it better than I can.

HOWARD JONES
08-12-2002, 03:01 PM
Before I got a zero-turn machine, if I wanted to make all the cuts in the same direction, I would simply turn at a comfortable radius at the end, skipping over 2 or 3 mower widths and continue doing this, making overlapping loops.