PDA

View Full Version : Is my company name slowing my progress??

oldearthgardening
09-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Hi, been in business here in Canada for 2 years. Going good- but Im thinking of changing my name from- Old Earth Gardening to something simpler!
What do you guys think when you hear the name -Old Earth Gardening?

grassman177
09-12-2010, 07:41 PM
tell me more about your business before i can make suggestions etc. i think you name implies landscaping and such, basically not lawn care at all.

White Gardens
09-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Agreed with Grassman.

I wondered the same thing with my biz name, but I was shooting for more the hands on type of crowd and pushing for landscape maintenance or garden maintenance. After a while though, your reputation sells more jobs than you name.

That and I would love to have a nursery someday, and White Gardens would fit the bill.

Springmeadows
09-12-2010, 09:45 PM
I think your business name should tell people enough about your business for them to know what you do. If you are going after lawns and landscapes use a name that tells them that. The easier your business name is the easier your advertising is. I spent too many years trying to explain my first business name to the public, finally changed it to say what I do in my name: Spring Meadows Lawn & Landscape. just my .02 cents.

oldearthgardening
09-13-2010, 01:05 PM
We are focusing mainly on the maintenance side of things- we maintain residential, strata, commercial ,church etc - from lawns to hedges, with a little installation/ woodwork.
The name popped into my head and I went with it, now Im not sure if its driving some clients away- It can be taken to mean that Im possibly against religion!!
Is the earth old or young!?!
-something I really wasnt thinking when I submitted my application for a business name:hammerhead:
The last thing i want to do is limit my client base!!
any advice greatly appreciated.

txgrassguy
09-13-2010, 07:43 PM
I hear a name like that I think you may have a bad back, no teeth, drink Odoul's beer due to having too many DUI's and will show up in a rusty p/u with a ground powered reel mower.

Try something like Old Fashioned Grounds Service - we do things the old fashioned way: Correct, Quick, and Professional One Property At A Time.

grassman177
09-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Try something like Old Fashioned Grounds Service - we do things the old fashioned way: Correct, Quick, and Professional One Property At A Time.

that is actaully verye xcellent

SchnabelLawnCare
09-13-2010, 09:10 PM
that is actaully verye xcellent

Yeah, until you show up with 2 ztrs and big backpack blowers.
Posted via Mobile Device

RadiantLawnCare
09-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Its not so much (old earth) but gardening. i don't know about everyone else but when i hear that i think garden maintenance.... might just want to change to (Old Earth Grounds Care.)

wilbilt
09-13-2010, 09:32 PM
It is probably better then "Flat Earth Lawn Care" or "Atomic Landscape Processing".

"Old Earth" would probably do well around Berkeley or other areas flush with aging hippies. Just saying.

MileHigh
09-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Earth Property Services
Pro Earth Property Maintenance
EPM
EPS
EarthScape Grounds Maintenance

ochosdaddy
09-14-2010, 01:55 AM
A name only does so much. You could go nameless and bring in more work if you really wanted to. Being two years young I would assume you're just beginning to realize the power of referrals. And above referrals, if you want a good stream of work coming in, you must formulate a marketing plan to stick with it. Maybe you're doing this....I dunno.

However, if you want to change your name, now is the time to do it before what you have now gains a little name recognition in your area.

Maybe:
Earthcare Landscape
Earthcare Maintenance Service

But anyway...

Old Earth Gardening, I picture some old fart (should be retired, but isn't), hoping out of an old beat-up LUV pick-up, and lifting an old school reel mower from the bed to mow the lawn with. Just saying. :dizzy:

bc3xx0
09-14-2010, 07:03 AM
I think you should keep the name and market around it. Make your truck look like an old sailing ship and mow your customers lawns dressed up like Christopher Columbus, or Desoto!!! I think you would do well!!

Sammy
09-14-2010, 09:29 AM
But anyway...

Old Earth Gardening, I picture some old fart (should be retired, but isn't), hoping out of an old beat-up LUV pick-up, and lifting an old school reel mower from the bed to mow the lawn with. Just saying. :dizzy:

Gavin, you sure come up with some crazy stuff. You must have been into some of Steve-ooos booze.

RadiantLawnCare
09-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Gavin, you sure come up with some crazy stuff. You must have been into some of Steve-ooos booze.

LOL if you really think about it, people would probably pay to see people dress up to mow there lawn. hahaha