PDA

View Full Version : Briggs 130202 bogging

bootsmagee
09-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I have a Briggs 5HP 130202-0801-01 engine on my log splitter, and it runs decently but since last season it started to bog down here and there when put under a hard/sudden load of a big log. Seems as if the low speed adjustment is off. I'm not sure what adjustments to make, or if there is another issue. There is one screw or plug that seems to be missing, but I don't think it's an adjustment screw. I'm attaching a picture for reference (the air filter is removed here) The threaded hold just below the air intake is the screw that appears to be missing.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/bootsmagee/IMG_3158.jpg

Restrorob
09-12-2010, 05:40 PM
I see nothing missing, Remove the complete adjuster assembly. Behind it will be a jet, Remove the jet and clean the ports behind it. Make sure the jet is fully open then re-assemble. If still no change in running try opening the adjuster screw 1/4 turn at a time and see if the bog goes away.

bootsmagee
09-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the fast reply! I'll take it apart and clean it right now.

dutch1
09-12-2010, 06:12 PM
The threaded hole you see is for a throttle cable retainer--apparently not in use on your engine since the idle adjustment screw is turned all the way in.

If you have no success with Rob's suggestion, it may be necessary to pull the carb off the tank and clean the pickup tube at the bottom end of the carb which extends to near the bottom of the tank. Check you tank for rust which is a common source of debris that will fill the pickup tube screen.

bootsmagee
09-12-2010, 06:59 PM
I took the adjustment screw assy out and cleaned it, although there wasn't any blockage or sign of buildup..so instead of just putting it back on I decided to take the carb completely off and clean the whole thing..there was some debris on the pickup screen, I cleaned that off..while taking the carb off I did notice that one screw which attaches it to the head was somewhat loose, and also there is no gasket here..possibly letting too much air in? If there is supposed to be a gasket here, is there something I can use to make one myself?

I believe my father had a friend service the logsplitter a few years back, it looks to me like they didn't replace this gasket.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/bootsmagee/IMG_3165.jpg

Restrorob
09-12-2010, 08:48 PM
You had may as well buy the carb to block gasket at your local mower parts supplier since you will need the carb to tank gasket too, While your there go ahead and get a new diaphragm and put that in while your into it.

bootsmagee
09-12-2010, 09:10 PM
right on...i'll order some new gaskets and get it back together this week

mower_medix
09-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Along with replacing the diaphragms and cleaning the carb out you should replace the low side adjustment assembly, did you remove the valve and make sure the needle is not cracked or rusted? just check it out I posted a picture show you what they look like. you should also clean the tank out with some parts washer and make sure there is no rust in the tank and spray some carb cleaner down the pick-up tubes!

the needle in the picture may not be the exact same as yours but they are somewhat similar!

Good Luck to You!

Mower Medix LLC.
Little Rock, AR