PDA

View Full Version : Replacing clutch in 61" Scag Wildcat

MCYoder
09-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Just thought before I went out to change out the old clutch and put in the new one, I would ask if there were any tricks of the trade or if its just a simple procedure? I know its a stupid question, just don't feel like working on it all night long... any help would be appreciated!! Thanks

Mower is a 61" scag wildcat with the 26 liquid cooled kawi

MCYoder
09-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Also didn't know if it is easy or a pain to do??? i've never replaced one before...

dutch1
09-12-2010, 09:32 PM
If you do a search for clutch removal you will find several references. Here's one.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=319791&highlight=removing+clutch

Release deck belt and idler belt, unplug the wiring harness, remove clutch retainer then loosen the bolt retaining the clutch to determine whether the clutch is loose enough to fall off the crankshaft. If the clutch slips down any you can go ahead and remove the bolt.

If you have problems removing the clutch, check the results of the above search.

MCYoder
09-12-2010, 10:13 PM
thanks for the reply, we'll see how it goes

MCYoder
09-15-2010, 01:00 AM
After replacing the old clutch with the new I got from j-thomas... nothing happens when the switch is pulled... Could the switch need to be replaced or is the replacement clutch the wrong model??? It should work... feel like i'm going crazy! Scag part #461660, I got the right clutch according to the catalog...

dutch1
09-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Before you replaced the clutch, did you bother to check for proper voltage at the wiring harness to the clutch? Pull the clutch connector from the wiring harness, start up the unit, engage the clutch switch and check for proper voltage at the wiring harness. You should have around 14.5 VDC.

ed2hess
09-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Before you replaced the clutch, did you bother to check for proper voltage at the wiring harness to the clutch? Pull the clutch connector from the wiring harness, start up the unit, engage the clutch switch and check for proper voltage at the wiring harness. You should have around 14.5 VDC.

Not forgetting to check fuse if no DC.

MCYoder
09-15-2010, 11:12 PM
No, didn't check voltage before replacing it... fuse is ok.

MCYoder
09-15-2010, 11:13 PM
I will check voltage next chance I get though

MCYoder
09-24-2010, 02:51 PM
no power going to the harness, fuse is good, so is it the switch???

BigFish
09-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Yep, more than likely is. They are prone to failure from induced voltage being fed back thru the switch contacts when the clutch coil is turned off/collapsed, also vibration. I think some models have a diode in the circuit to help protect the switch. You need to take a close look at the wiring and connections. Did you check the clutch coil for continuity etc.? Might still be OK.

Tex Red
09-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Our Scag Wildcat took out two switches due to the clutch drawing too many amps during use. The clutch worked but the switch couldn't handle the load. We replaced the clutch and so far we haven't had any more problems.

MCYoder
10-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Good to go now... replaced switch and works awesome... thanks for the replies