PDA

View Full Version : She finally blew up...not a replacement engine available accept

MJB
08-09-2002, 11:45 PM
I can't believe it. My old grasshopper 720K with a Kohler CH 20 S finally died with 2460 hrs on it.
The problem is Kohler is not making this engine for at least 3 more weeks, or longer. No engines are available anywhere with this spec number accept Grasshopper. This engine normally retails for $1400. But Grasshopper will sell it to me for ONLY Get This .....$2300. plus shipping. What a rip off.

So anyway I said No Way ! I found a new 25 HP Kohler
that will work with just a few modifications by a reputable Kohler dealer. But it will still cost about $1900 an change, but they are providing the labor to remove and replace the engine. They have already done this to another Grasshopper this yr with great results. Has anyone else run into this? Sorry for the long post just needed to blow off some steam!!!

barnard
08-10-2002, 12:21 AM
check out smallenginewarehouse.com They have ch20s for 1000

Jman
08-11-2002, 11:01 AM
The replacement engine you need is Kohler part number PA-64510
It is available thru any Kohler dealer in your area. If you can't find one also check out www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com I know they can get one as well. Was your old engine number CH20-64510?

MJB
08-11-2002, 12:55 PM
Yes it is the CH20S spec# 64510

But your wrong about being able to get one at any Kohler dealer.
I've been in touch with Kohler dealers all over Wa St. I've contacted dealers in other states as well. Kohler dealers do not stock this engine , they all have to order it from their suppliers.

Anyway all the suppliers have the 64501 not the 64510. I did a search on the internet and found that while most dealers list it on their sites none of the ones I contacted had 1 in stock, I called every dealer in my state. They all told me the same thing 3 to 4 weeks minimum. I did check with Small engine warehouse and they thought they had 1 or 2 but would have to check back Mon. still I'm looking at a week before delivery if they have one. I did not check with Tulsaengines since my search never brought them up. I did talk to Kohler and they said at least a month before they put anymore into production. Anyway thanks for the info, but I'll have my Grasshopper back with a 25 Kohler by weds.

Banard Yes I've seen those but they would also need modification as they don't have the driveshaft adapter, that I need that comes on the 64510, but it is an option.

This has been a learning experience for me, thanks for your suggestions.