PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with the fall cleanup outlook thus far

RLS24
09-13-2010, 01:28 AM
With my last round of bills I sent out, I put my usual letter in that basically says "hey fall is coming and winter isnt too far off, we offer fall cleanups for $XXX and snowplowing for $XXX please let us know if you are interested in either" and most of the ones I'm getting back want plowing but arent going for a fall cleanup. I know I'm not pricing cleanups out of the ballpark, but its frustrating that people don't want them done. I feel like I should call them and say "you do realize that if you opt out of a cleanup I will still cut the lawn but I won't bag it and whatever leaves are on the ground are going to get chopped up and wherever they land is where they land." I've really got a handle on landing landscape, spring cleanup, mowing, and plowing jobs but I always seem to struggle with fall cleanups, especially with my regular customers. What are some ways that I can secure more fall cleanups ESPECIALLY with my current customers?

Hope Landscaping
09-13-2010, 03:27 AM
Could you work out a deal with them to charge a annual set fee? Like charge them x amount 12 months a year and continue to service their place on a regular schedule.

Smallaxe
09-13-2010, 07:42 AM
We just continue mowing and bagging and charge more for this time of year. If you do contracts, just start making them part of the deal. Try mulching techniques for leaves etc. Many lawns would benefit from having the leaves mulched in.

RLS24
09-13-2010, 01:48 PM
unfortunately the properties that have the most trees are the ones that dont want a cleanup. no matter what I do with them, its going to look like garbage and its going to take more time.

georgiagrass
09-14-2010, 01:14 AM
We don't charge extra for regular mowing customers to keep up with the leaves as they fall. That is one of the benefits of using Walker mowers during this time of year. Makes it easy.

For us, a fall cleanup occurs for non-regular customers who want us to get the leaves up after they have all fallen. We charge anywhere up to several hundred dollars for this. It's still pretty easy, just blow out all the beds and get up the leaves with the Walkers.

sdk1959
09-14-2010, 01:36 AM
We just continue mowing and bagging and charge more for this time of year. If you do contracts, just start making them part of the deal. Try mulching techniques for leaves etc. Many lawns would benefit from having the leaves mulched in.

I agree 100%

Leaf pick-up and removal is on large properties with tall mature trees is a waste both in money for the customer and the nutrients lost that mulched leaves give back to a lawn. All the equipment needed, leaf loaders, dump truck,tarps, large crews w/backpack blowers, travel time to and from the dump, unloading, dump fees, etc.

It is not uncommon in the northeast for acre properties with a lot of tall mature trees for leaf removal to be priced out up to $1000.00.

Several visits in October and November mulching the leaves and it can be done for 1/2 the price of leaf removal.

Southern Pride
09-14-2010, 01:40 AM
are u sayin that even though the grass is not growing you still come out and cut it to get mulch up the leaves? I used to do this for a company but it almost seemed like the customers didn't agree to this and he just did it and billed him. I guess I'm asking if you just kind of transition without concent too or?

soloscaperman
09-14-2010, 02:20 AM
Yeah I notice some customer don't want it done hoping the wind or snow take care of it.

You have to focus in the rich area's where image means everything to each neighbor. I remember years ago when I worked for my old boss we had a rich customer that called like 5 times during the fall to keep every leaf off her lawn because the neighbors leaves would blow into hers. I am talking about a small amount of leaves but she had OCD or something. THOSE ARE THE CUSTOMERS YOU WANT! He made a ton of money off of her.

CircleC
09-14-2010, 02:29 AM
Why are you not selling it at the beginning of the season.....sell them everything up front, then you dont have to worry about "trying" to upsell. When I take on a new customer or start the season they get pricing for everything and they are sold everything upfront. Dont beat around the bush....give them everything upfront.

Southern Pride
09-14-2010, 03:07 AM
Why are you not selling it at the beginning of the season.....sell them everything up front, then you dont have to worry about "trying" to upsell. When I take on a new customer or start the season they get pricing for everything and they are sold everything upfront. Dont beat around the bush....give them everything upfront.

That is very smart. There are for more likely to sign for my services than if you wait until season or wait for them to ask.

RLS24
09-14-2010, 11:49 AM
I agree 100%

Leaf pick-up and removal is on large properties with tall mature trees is a waste both in money for the customer and the nutrients lost that mulched leaves give back to a lawn. All the equipment needed, leaf loaders, dump truck,tarps, large crews w/backpack blowers, travel time to and from the dump, unloading, dump fees, etc.

It is not uncommon in the northeast for acre properties with a lot of tall mature trees for leaf removal to be priced out up to $1000.00.

Several visits in October and November mulching the leaves and it can be done for 1/2 the price of leaf removal.

Around here, half of that work is eliminated because the town picks up all the leaves, so all you have to do is get them to a pile at the curb.

I like that and I am probably going to do that next year...same thing with plowing just give them the all season package.

hackitdown
09-14-2010, 01:40 PM
I find that people will wait until November to ask for leaf cleanup. Be patient, it will happen.

Brad Ent
09-14-2010, 02:09 PM
I agree with hack... people wait till late Oct before they start calling about Fall clean ups. Get out and sell some aerting and slice seeding.

cut level
09-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Nobody is thinking fall cleanup around here it will be at least 1st of November. We will be lucky to get a frost by Halloween here in the south. Just the way it is. Dang its just September 14.

Southern Pride
09-14-2010, 05:19 PM
cut level, are you in Memphis? I agree we got a good bit before leaf cleanups. The only thing keeping me busy is a few cuts here and there and the hedge trimmings. I am trying to up sell some mulch too. It is good to mulch in the fall right?

yardguy28
09-14-2010, 05:37 PM
i don't know how some of you are doing fall clean ups. especially the one's that say they aren't charging any extra since they use walkers mowers or whatever.

for regular clients i come on a weekly basis and blow out the mulch beds and bag up the leaves with grass catcher on the mower. this is an extra charge. any time the grass catcher goes on it's an extra charge. it takes more having to empty the catcher. even if it is only emptied a couple of times.

the clients that purchase my premium service automatically get the fall clean ups. i just start them when it is time and charge accordingly.

the basic service clients have to be asked and receive a letter with there sept. invoice.

it is sometimes hard to get them to purchase the clean ups. best i do is let them know what is envolved and how it will look when it is done. if they purchase this service great. if not i just move on. i stop service on the properties that will no longer need cutting because the growth of the grass is next to nothing and leave them with there leaves for the fall.

the regulars that don't use my fall clean up services just create more open spots for the one timers that call and want there leaves done.

LawnGuy73
09-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Its tough out there, and its only getting worse...

meicher806
09-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Its tough out there, and its only getting worse...

ill drink to that :drinkup:

Jpocket
09-14-2010, 08:58 PM
unfortunately the properties that have the most trees are the ones that dont want a cleanup. no matter what I do with them, its going to look like garbage and its going to take more time.

call those accounts specifcally. If they still don't want a clean up mow right over the leaves and charge your regular rate.

RHill
09-14-2010, 11:41 PM
I never actually bag or pick up fall leaves. I just mulch them up. A lot of the dumps now wont take bags of leave or grass. They dont want to waste landfill space with organic materials.

kilgoja
09-14-2010, 11:59 PM
yeah i always mulch the leaves in the fall....much easier and faster...i usually wait til the fall and ask if they want it done or not...right now i'm still cutting grass every 2 weeks

Southern Pride
09-15-2010, 03:13 AM
yeah i always mulch the leaves in the fall....much easier and faster...i usually wait til the fall and ask if they want it done or not...right now i'm still cutting grass every 2 weeks

With leaves, every situation is different but the properties that drop a layer every week I just blow first. All along the curb, beds, walkways, sidewalks. Get everything in the yard and mulch it all up. At this point in the season there is little to no weedeating or edging so it sometimes takes less time than it did to regularly cut the yard. These are the type of clients I want. They want to keep up with the leaves rather than the customer that lets it all fall and then call you out to 4ft. of leaves. I hate those jobs. Unfortunately most people wait, unless high end.

Smallaxe
09-15-2010, 08:39 AM
One more thing to consider is that, people tend to think of fall cleanup as, milking out the process. For years around here folks waited for the snow to melt, the grass start to greenup, then say, "Hey, we better start raking".

I have now generalized the "2 Week Rule"... That is, Until the ground freezes, any leaf that sits in one place for 2 weeks, will kill the grass underneath... depending on the amount of rain, and texture of the soil of course, but the general idea is: don't wait till spring.

Southern Pride
09-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Another way to sell it to some customers who get a layer of leaves weekly or bi weekly is to tell them to let you still cut it through Oct and November which in turn would keep the yard leaf free and would cost about even as one big cleanup by December. I just realized it and so I need to send out emails!

hackitdown
09-15-2010, 08:46 AM
In New England, we get cleanup calls from customers that have 12 inches of wet leaves in the yard. Under the leaves we often find 6 inches of uncut wet lawn (We couldn't mow, the leaves were in the way!). Mulching is not an option. Blowers, leaf loaders, rakes, and tarps are the only way to move the bulk of the leaves. Then the last 5% can be mowed and bagged or mulched.

Remember, every area is different.

Smallaxe
09-15-2010, 09:14 AM
We have the early leaves starting now. Maple and poplar. Them we can mulch. This will be followed by 3 weeks of mowing up pine needles. Then the mowing is done. Very little growth after that. Then, every 2 weeks or so we chase oak leaves, until snowfall.

LawnGuy73
09-15-2010, 08:07 PM
We have the early leaves starting now. Maple and poplar. Them we can mulch. This will be followed by 3 weeks of mowing up pine needles. Then the mowing is done. Very little growth after that. Then, every 2 weeks or so we chase oak leaves, until snowfall.

Same thing here....

yardguy28
09-15-2010, 08:21 PM
mulching them up leaves an undesired look with myself and my clients. bagging them up gives that "spotless" spring look.

i never put leaves in bags. i just dump the catcher directly into my truck bed. when the truck bed is full i stop at the compost site and unload. i'm not sure i will ever understand the guys that comment back, i never put grass, leaves or any other debris in my truck bed. thats what trucks are for and thats why they are perfect for this industry. i can only understand not putting stuff in your truck bed if you have an open trailer with space you can dump stuff in but thats it. if your not going to use your truck to load it with grass clippings, leaves, shrub clippings, mulch, rock, dirt, etc. why have a truck? just get an SUV or get one of those lawn trucks where you put all your equipment on it and don't have to haul a trailer.

Southern Pride
09-15-2010, 10:15 PM
mulching them up leaves an undesired look with myself and my clients. bagging them up gives that "spotless" spring look

Nah there must be something wrong with your mower. The deck, blades, etc.

I'll but mine up against any freshly bagged lawn. The cut qualty is all there. Leaves under. Done. No bags, dumping fees, more physical labor, or pesky bs. Oh and their lawn is healthier. Grow faster, get me $.

kilgoja
09-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Another way to sell it to some customers who get a layer of leaves weekly or bi weekly is to tell them to let you still cut it through Oct and November which in turn would keep the yard leaf free and would cost about even as one big cleanup by December. I just realized it and so I need to send out emails!

yesssss that's kindof what i do...i just check back regularly with them every 2 weeks just as if i was mowing....some will ask me to trim their hedges or whatever and if leaves are there they may ask me to cut them...it's alot easier that way rather than waiting til the end of november and the leaves are 2ft high lol

kilgoja
09-15-2010, 10:33 PM

I'll but mine up against any freshly bagged lawn. The cut qualty is all there. Leaves under. Done. No bags, dumping fees, more physical labor, or pesky bs. Oh and their lawn is healthier. Grow faster, get me $.

i agree...i've never had a problem mulching leaves up with the mower...if it's one of those customers that waits and wants you to do it just once in late november then you just have to go over the yard more...but eventually they will mulch up just the same

Southern Pride
09-15-2010, 11:02 PM
ha I'm thinking maybe he was just agreeing with the customer to get the job.

Whats with old people and bagging the lawn? The literally know nothing about it or that it is better to leave those nutrients in the soil. Its just silly. Of course, I speak for the Mid-south. Don't know don't care how/why things are done everywhere else.

kilgoja
09-15-2010, 11:23 PM
yeah i dunno...i think the problem is people wait too long to get someone to cut their grass...so the grass is taller than it should be and you cut it with a side discharge and it makes clumps because the grass is so tall....so they are like we need someone to bag it so it won't leave clumps in the grass.....they don't understand that if you mow it regularly a side discharge won't leave clumps because the clippings will be small enough to fall down into the grass putting nutrients into it

yardguy28
09-16-2010, 12:37 AM

the mowers are fine. when i mulch leaves even on a weekly basis there is a brownish color left in the lawn from all the mulched up leaves.

i don't care for that look and neither do my clients.

ha I'm thinking maybe he was just agreeing with the customer to get the job.

Whats with old people and bagging the lawn? The literally know nothing about it or that it is better to leave those nutrients in the soil. Its just silly. Of course, I speak for the Mid-south. Don't know don't care how/why things are done everywhere else.

nope never agreeing with the clients just to get the job.

it's the only way i will do fall clean ups. i don't even own a mulch kit for my 52" grandstand. i do have one for the 36" metro but that comes off when the leaves start falling.

if the leaves are thick i make one pass letting the catcher fill up and keep going which mulches the leaves a little bit. then i make a second pass bagging everything up. i use high lift blades.

leaves a nice spotless look. the lawns look like it was spring or summer time when i'm done.

stan the man
09-16-2010, 12:29 PM
once mowing has stop fall clean up is the money if i don't get them fall clean up then i get them spring clean up. mowing now is no much in a week. and all my accounts know that it cost them more in the spring if they don't have it done it the fall.plus they know them they don't have fall and spring clean ups they don't get a free turkey for Thanksgiving

cut level
09-16-2010, 02:41 PM
the mowers are fine. when i mulch leaves even on a weekly basis there is a brownish color left in the lawn from all the mulched up leaves.

it's the only way i will do fall clean ups. i don't even own a mulch kit for my 52" grandstand. i do have one for the 36" metro but that comes off when the leaves start falling.

if the leaves are thick i make one pass letting the catcher fill up and keep going which mulches the leaves a little bit. then i make a second pass bagging everything up. i use high lift blades.

leaves a nice spotless look. the lawns look like it was spring or summer time when i'm done.

Yep there is no way mulching the leaves up leaves as good a look as a bagged yard its the truth. Every place is different some may have more leaves than other.

sdk1959
09-16-2010, 03:52 PM

Yeah, the lawn may look slightly "nicer" if you stand right on the lawn than a properly mulched lawn but the lawn looks like crap till late fall because customers will wait till then to get the leaves picked up. Also it does nothing to amend the lawn with nutrients, and leaf pick-up costs about 2x the cost of mulching the leaves(more for bigger yards with big trees).

Proper leaf management is mulching the leaves 2-6 times depending on conditions DURING the fall season not waiting till a lawn with a lot of mature trees has a 6" blanket of leaves with damp leaves on the bottom layer and trying then to mulch them. By then it's pick-up time and customers will pay dearly for it. Pick-up and leaf removal estimates up to $1000 for a 1 acre property with many tall mature trees is not uncommon in my area, customers have told me so. Large crews with backpack blowers, tarps loaded with leaves you can't get though narrow gates, leaf loaders, a dump truck, travel time to and from the dump site, dump fees, etc. It is clear why with what's involved why these estimates are common.

RLS24
09-16-2010, 04:02 PM
all good points....the leaves are already changing around here. You guys that are still doing cleanups into december, that must be nice. By december we have already plowed snow once maybe twice! In my area, cleanups start anywhere from like NOW til mid november is usually when we do the final cleanup. Grass still grows and needs cutting right up until the end of october, so I think thats whats throwing a lot of people off is the fact that the grass still needs to be cut so the leaves will be picked up with it, which is why I am having to make phone calls and explain to people thats not how it works.

kilgoja
09-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Yeah, the lawn may look slightly "nicer" if you stand right on the lawn than a properly mulched lawn but the lawn looks like crap till late fall because customers will wait till then to get the leaves picked up. Also it does nothing to amend the lawn with nutrients, and leaf pick-up costs about 2x the cost of mulching the leaves(more for bigger yards with big trees).

Proper leaf management is mulching the leaves 2-6 times depending on conditions DURING the fall season not waiting till a lawn with a lot of mature trees has a 6" blanket of leaves with damp leaves on the bottom layer and trying then to mulch them. By then it's pick-up time and customers will pay dearly for it. Pick-up and leaf removal estimates up to $1000 for a 1 acre property with many tall mature trees is not uncommon in my area, customers have told me so. Large crews with backpack blowers, tarps loaded with leaves you can't get though narrow gates, leaf loaders, a dump truck, travel time to and from the dump site, dump fees, etc. It is clear why with what's involved why these estimates are common.

this seems to be common up north from what i've read on here....you guys are lucky...noone down here has or will pay that kind of money to get their leaves removed from their yards down here lol

yardguy28
09-16-2010, 06:27 PM
once mowing has stop fall clean up is the money if i don't get them fall clean up then i get them spring clean up. mowing now is no much in a week. and all my accounts know that it cost them more in the spring if they don't have it done it the fall.plus they know them they don't have fall and spring clean ups they don't get a free turkey for Thanksgiving

clients don't get free turkeys with fall or spring clean ups.

maybe your clients wait until late fall to get the leaves removed but my clients have me continue coming weekly. once weekly mowing starts in the spring i don't stray from that until all the leaves are off the trees at the end of november.

you might charge twice the amount but thats your charging NOT mine.

i don't do the stop mowing and show up 2 or 3 times during the fall to remove leaves. even one time jobs are mowed up with the mowers and grass catchers.

i can get probably about 10 clients worth of leaves in the back of my pick up truck until about half way through fall. then i have to make stop in the middle of the day at the compost site. there are also a few client that i dump in the median because our city comes 2 times a season and picks up everyones leaves. dumping them in the median is not the preferred method though but if most of the houses in the neighborhood around my clients have piles out there i will dump them out there because the wind will blow leaves from those piles back into the yard anyway.

stan the man
09-16-2010, 07:21 PM
my full time account mowing plowing and clear ups i give a turkey

greengiant9963
09-16-2010, 08:02 PM
all good points....the leaves are already changing around here. You guys that are still doing cleanups into december, that must be nice. By december we have already plowed snow once maybe twice! In my area, cleanups start anywhere from like NOW til mid november is usually when we do the final cleanup. Grass still grows and needs cutting right up until the end of october, so I think thats whats throwing a lot of people off is the fact that the grass still needs to be cut so the leaves will be picked up with it, which is why I am having to make phone calls and explain to people thats not how it works.

Are you the guy who bought Derek's Lesco walkbehind?

yardguy28
09-16-2010, 08:41 PM
my full time account mowing plowing and clear ups i give a turkey

thats awefull nice of you. you must do well in your business to afford that.

stan the man
09-16-2010, 09:12 PM
yardguy28 i have farm i rise turkey and beef donkeys goats and more you take care of your account they take care of you. my account all give me money for xmas gift. all my account like me because do what they want and more.

sdk1959
09-16-2010, 10:53 PM
maybe your clients wait until late fall to get the leaves removed but my clients have me continue coming weekly. once weekly mowing starts in the spring i don't stray from that until all the leaves are off the trees at the end of November.

you might charge twice the amount but that's your charging NOT mine.

i don't do the stop mowing and show up 2 or 3 times during the fall to remove leaves. even one time jobs are mowed up with the mowers and grass catchers.

i can get probably about 10 clients worth of leaves in the back of my pick up truck until about half way through fall. then i have to make stop in the middle of the day at the compost site. there are also a few client that i dump in the median because our city comes 2 times a season and picks up everyone leaves. dumping them in the median is not the preferred method though but if most of the houses in the neighborhood around my clients have piles out there i will dump them out there because the wind will blow leaves from those piles back into the yard anyway.

The mindset here:hammerhead: in the Northeast customers want mowing to stop as soon as the grass stops growing, which is usually the first or second week of October, leaves be damned.

Only time I consider leaf pick-up for a customer is if I can dump the collected leaves from my bagger on-site somewhere on their property or woods next to it. And that's only if the leaves aren't too thick, 1-2 inches at the most. It's a hard sell to convince some customers who think of leaves as litter that don't decompose and somehow can't wrap their mind around the idea that it is cheaper to mulch their leaves several times during the fall season than wait till end of fall to pick-up and remove all the leaves.

You should look at some of the fall clean-up threads with pictures on here with the amount of leaves, equipment and manpower needed to pick-up and remove leaves on large properties. Crews of 4 or more, 2 or 3 with backpack blowers, tarping or a guy on a Z collecting with a bagger,10-18Hp leaf-loaders, several trips to dump with a dumptruck or enclosed truck. It's nuts.:dizzy: At least the customers you have have the common sense to have leaf pick-up done during the season and not waiting till the end.

yardguy28
09-16-2010, 11:28 PM
The mindset here:hammerhead: in the Northeast customers want mowing to stop as soon as the grass stops growing, which is usually the first or second week of October, leaves be damned.

Only time I consider leaf pick-up for a customer is if I can dump the collected leaves from my bagger on-site somewhere on their property or woods next to it. And that's only if the leaves aren't too thick, 1-2 inches at the most. It's a hard sell to convince some customers who think of leaves as litter that don't decompose and somehow can't wrap their mind around the idea that it is cheaper to mulch their leaves several times during the fall season than wait till end of fall to pick-up and remove all the leaves.

You should look at some of the fall clean-up threads with pictures on here with the amount of leaves, equipment and manpower needed to pick-up and remove leaves on large properties. Crews of 4 or more, 2 or 3 with backpack blowers, tarping or a guy on a Z collecting with a bagger,10-18Hp leaf-loaders, several trips to dump with a dumptruck or enclosed truck. It's nuts.:dizzy: At least the customers you have have the common sense to have leaf pick-up done during the season and not waiting till the end.

yeah i've seen some of the threads and the pics. it is nuts. i've done some larger jobs myself but i just don't have the equipment to be blowing around leaves with blowers. i have a br400 backpack blower and a 5 hp little wonder (that i rarely use).

when looked around at walkbehind blowers the one dealer told me even if i didn't buy from them not to get anything less than an 8hp. well the other dealer talked me into the 5hp telling me he used a 5hp when he had a lawn business and it worked fine.

that dealer just wanted the sale cuz i can't nearly as far as i'd like blowing leaves from one end of the property to the other. both my neighbors have 8hp little wonders and they can start at there far backyard and blow the leaves to the front and keep going through the front to the curb.

it's much easier for me to mow them up with the mower and grass catcher. you fight the wind a lot less too. plus i'm solo i don't have helper to use the blowers.

i start by blowing out the leaves in the mulch beds into the turf and do the same with the hardscape areas. then i mow one pass letting the catcher fill up. once full it mulches the leaves a bit. then i make a second pass collecting everything. thats only if there thick of course. the weekly are done just like spring only i do spend a few min. blowing out the mulch beds and hardscapes first.

Southern Pride
09-17-2010, 04:32 AM
there are also a few client that i dump in the median because our city comes 2 times a season and picks up everyones leaves.

No offense to your area or neighborhood at all but that just sounds like a mess. I'm glad clients here don't have excuses like leaving the leaves on a curb? I'm not even sure how the city would come and do a good job gathering them up. I like to mulch them (if not thick obviously) or bag and haul and be proud of what that yard is supposed to look like when I'm done. Either way you look at it, leaf cleanups are great $ but If I was a client knowing the city would just come pick them up I would just rake them out wherever they needed to go. At that point why ever bother having someone just put them on a curb. Maybe I am misunderstanding. I am thinking you don't bag them and just put them on a curb or median right? That makes no sense to me. After a couple wind gusts you'd be back at square 1.

90% of the "cleanups" I do are not heavy debris oriented, so it doesn't leave the lawn looking brown at all. I'm just saying I would rather show up every week, blow, mow and blow than show up once and spend half a day bagging and hauling. This way the yard still has the nice "stripes" and lines like a normal cut. Thats just me though. After alot of experience and practice I love it my way. Not saying anyone elses way is wrong.

stan the man
09-17-2010, 08:24 AM
on clean ups come to what the account wants the lawn to look like at the end of the season. all my account would dump me if i went and mulch the leaves up and left on the lawn they be pissed

yardguy28
09-17-2010, 05:45 PM
No offense to your area or neighborhood at all but that just sounds like a mess. I'm glad clients here don't have excuses like leaving the leaves on a curb? I'm not even sure how the city would come and do a good job gathering them up. I like to mulch them (if not thick obviously) or bag and haul and be proud of what that yard is supposed to look like when I'm done. Either way you look at it, leaf cleanups are great $ but If I was a client knowing the city would just come pick them up I would just rake them out wherever they needed to go. At that point why ever bother having someone just put them on a curb. Maybe I am misunderstanding. I am thinking you don't bag them and just put them on a curb or median right? That makes no sense to me. After a couple wind gusts you'd be back at square 1.

90% of the "cleanups" I do are not heavy debris oriented, so it doesn't leave the lawn looking brown at all. I'm just saying I would rather show up every week, blow, mow and blow than show up once and spend half a day bagging and hauling. This way the yard still has the nice "stripes" and lines like a normal cut. Thats just me though. After alot of experience and practice I love it my way. Not saying anyone elses way is wrong.

no offense taken....

it does create a huge mess. most every street you go down every house has huge piles of leaves either at the curb or in the median if there is one.

the city comes by 2 times during the season with front loaders and dump trucks on the side streets and they have trailer size vacuums for the busy streets.

i don't normally dump at the curb though. mostly because it's just doesn't look as good with a pile of leaves at the end of the property. but also because the wind will just blow the leaves around to either my clients property or others.

the city does an okay job getting them all cleaned up. not like a professional would though. there's always some left over.

stan the man
09-17-2010, 05:51 PM
safe you hauling leaves off at less the town pick them up

albhb3
09-17-2010, 06:42 PM
the company I work for we do 2 fall clean ups sure does make spring clean ups a breeze we work until the first week of december. Long after the first snow last year was nov.9th

Craig3
09-18-2010, 04:47 AM
I mulch, but I only have 1 yard that isnt 80% or more bermuda, and that goes dormant and losses its color so the mulched leaves aren't really discernible. Plus the acidity of the leaves is a + since our local soil is lacking.

RLS24
09-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Are you the guy who bought Derek's Lesco walkbehind?

yeah we worked out a deal on it. its working out pretty well for me so far.

greengiant9963
09-18-2010, 10:23 PM
I was thinking of buying his Lesco as another backup mower but $800 was a little more than I wanted to spend. How do you like it? I had the same mower about 6 years ago but was a 48 inch.