PDA

View Full Version : Rule on truck lettering

Ben's Landscape
09-13-2010, 01:18 PM
I was told today in RI you need to have a truck lettered if it is going to be used commerically. I have a F 250 diesel 2wd that is my personal and work truck. I honestly do not want my name on my personal truck. Is there anywhere i could find out if I need lettering or not?

To me it sounds far fetched that the state can dictate if you get your truck lettered or not.

Thanks in advance for the advice

MarcSmith
09-13-2010, 01:31 PM
As a commercial vehicle you are regulated and the state has the ability to regulate... but simple enough to do with magnets...

Rhode Island
Interstate:Federal Regulation Part 390.21 requires the following marking rules for all
**qualifying Interstate for hire and private commercial motor vehicles (CMV):
• The legal name or single trade name of the carrier operating the motor
vehicle as it appears on the MCS-150;
• Their assigned US DOT Number
• If a name other than the name of the operating carrier appears on the
vehicle, the words “operated by” must precede the name of the
operating carrier. This applies to both interstate and intrastate marking
rules.
** A qualifying CMV is defined for this purpose by Federal Regulation 390.5 as
any vehicle that transports property or passengers in interstate commerce and:
• Has a GVW or GVWR of 10,001 or more; or
• Transports more than 8 passengers (including driver) for hire; or
• Transports more than 15 passengers ( including driver) not for hire; or
• Transports haz mat in a quantity requiring placards
Statutory Regulations generally follow the Federal Regulations (unless so noted)
as they pertain to Interstate operations but may require additional signage
pertaining to intrastate operations or intrastate operating authority.
The states may vary in their requirement that vehicle weight be displayed,
therefore many carriers display their empty and gross weight automatically.
All USDOT numbers used in intrastate only operations must have the state’s
abbreviation following the number. Example: USDOT 9321456 NY. Unless noted, a
states definition of a qualifying commercial motor vehicle is the same as the
federal definition set forth in part 390.5 (see above)
MC Numbers are no longer required to be displayed on a CMV. Carriers are not
required to remove existing MC numbers from their vehicles but are encouraged
not to display the MC# on new or repainted CMV’s.

Intrastate: All intrastate commercial motor vehicles in excess of 10,000
pounds must display the name, city and state of motor carrier on both
sides of the power unit in a contrasting color visible from 50’ away.

Ben's Landscape
09-13-2010, 01:50 PM
So basically because my GVW is 8600 then I do not have to leter my truck? Also my truck is registered as a combination plate

MarcSmith
09-13-2010, 02:01 PM
sound about right, but I'm not a legal expert... but if you put a trailer on it, you could exceed that 10K lb limit...

Ben's Landscape
09-13-2010, 02:05 PM
sound about right, but I'm not a legal expert... but if you put a trailer on it, you could exceed that 10K lb limit...

yeah and I only have a 6*12 single axle trailer. the guy was saying that I have to by law have my truck lettered with my biz name and info i told him he was full of it. He said nothing about DOT numbers

cuttin-to-the-Max
09-13-2010, 03:12 PM
do you pull a trailer when u work???
i've seen guys that put all their lettering and DOT numbers on their trailer while the truck is letter free

But magnets also work Sometimes! lol
until they get wet like plowing and stuff
if you buy the cheap ones

Looking Good Lawn Service
09-13-2010, 04:44 PM
RI is really stepping up enforcement, I would run legal if I were you, fines are steep. Letter your truck, get your triangles, fire extingisher, and medical card and make sure your truck and esp trailer inspection are current. No ands ifs or buts, the state police is out in full enforcement, dont mess around, my best advice, as I have been stopped and numerous other RI contractors...better safe than sorry, best of luck!

shovelracer
09-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Federal DOT supersedes any state law. So you would need federal DOT if you cross state lines in excess of 10,000* combined. I suggest you follow your state and federal laws. If you are looking for someone to tell you that certain rules don't apply to you might be in the wrong place.

yardguy28
09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
i can't speak for 100% certainty on RI but i do not believe the law can force you to letter your trucks or trailers no matter what the weights.

when i first started in the business i did do door magnets. but truck got t boned while my dad was driving it and i lost the passenger side magnet and never replaced it. i do have an enclosed trailer that is decaled but my open trailer i pull has nothing.

i choose to have the trailer decaled for advertising not by law. there are plenty of outfits that have no lettering of any kind around my neck of the woods. and i've never heard that law can or even would force someone too. it seems like a pretty stupid thing to enforce in the first place. not really necessary if you ask me.

RoyalTree
09-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Cant speak for RI but we actually have a local law that makes it illegal to have ANY commercial vehicle without being lettered. The cops will arrest you and have your car impounded.

DJJS
09-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Cant speak for RI but we actually have a local law that makes it illegal to have ANY commercial vehicle without being lettered. The cops will arrest you and have your car impounded.

Arrest you? :laugh: Around here all commercial vehicles need to be lettered with the company name, town & phone number, and the GVWR plus lic. numbers and DOT numbers. You won't get arrested though, just a fine.

soloscaperman
09-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Can't imagine what CT is like. CT is the worse when it comes to DMV and DOT crap.

PR Fect
09-14-2010, 12:40 PM
I was told today in RI you need to have a truck lettered if it is going to be used commerically. I have a F 250 diesel 2wd that is my personal and work truck. I honestly do not want my name on my personal truck.

Thanks in advance for the advice

What about your insurance? You do have commercial business insurance on your "personal truck" don't you? If you only have personal auto on that truck, its not insured or is your equipment and trailer when you are using it for commercial work. You are paying for something the insurance company will never let you use. And if it is a F 250 that has business insurance, just label it, and stop all worries. PR

Mark Oomkes
09-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Here we go again.

What is the GVW of the trailer? If it's over 1,401 pounds, you are a commercial vehicle.

It appears that Rhode Island does not enforce the DOT requirement:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/registration-USDOT.htm

As for far-fetched about what they can dictate, but it won't be long and we will all be required to have health insurance, so this is minor in comparison.

i can't speak for 100% certainty on RI but i do not believe the law can force you to letter your trucks or trailers no matter what the weights.

You ever seen OTR trucks without the proper names, cities, states etc?

You ever wonder why?

Ya think maybe because the popo DOES enforce it and CAN?

yardguy28
09-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Here we go again.

What is the GVW of the trailer? If it's over 1,401 pounds, you are a commercial vehicle.

It appears that Rhode Island does not enforce the DOT requirement:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/registration-USDOT.htm

As for far-fetched about what they can dictate, but it won't be long and we will all be required to have health insurance, so this is minor in comparison.

You ever seen OTR trucks without the proper names, cities, states etc?

You ever wonder why?

Ya think maybe because the popo DOES enforce it and CAN?

since i don't know what an OTR truck is, i can't say that i have seen one.

but lets say i do know what they are and have seen them with there proper names, cities, states, etc. i wouldn't wonder why.

lots of commercial vehicles are logo'd. but i never wonder why. i figure they are done for advertising and because the owners want to logo there vehicles. thats why i logo'd my trailer and at one point had maganets on my truck. for advertising and because i wanted to. NOT because i thought it was a legal thing.

i also know and have seen plenty of commercial vehicles NOT logo'd. and as i stated in a previous post. my truck is not logo'd and i have an open trailer with no logo's on it. so when i'm pulling the open trailer about once a week i'm not logo'd at all.

maybe other states have laws for this. thank god i don't live in one that does. or so i assume, based off the fact that i've been seen by hundreds of city, county and state police officers since i've been in business.

Duffster
09-16-2010, 06:22 PM
since i don't know what an OTR truck is, i can't say that i have seen one.

but lets say i do know what they are and have seen them with there proper names, cities, states, etc. i wouldn't wonder why.

lots of commercial vehicles are logo'd. but i never wonder why. i figure they are done for advertising and because the owners want to logo there vehicles. thats why i logo'd my trailer and at one point had maganets on my truck. for advertising and because i wanted to. NOT because i thought it was a legal thing.

i also know and have seen plenty of commercial vehicles NOT logo'd. and as i stated in a previous post. my truck is not logo'd and i have an open trailer with no logo's on it. so when i'm pulling the open trailer about once a week i'm not logo'd at all.

maybe other states have laws for this. thank god i don't live in one that does. or so i assume, based off the fact that i've been seen by hundreds of city, county and state police officers since i've been in business.

OTR= Over The Road

What state do you live in? The majority of states have the same requirements as the feds.

yardguy28
09-16-2010, 07:55 PM
OTR= Over The Road

What state do you live in? The majority of states have the same requirements as the feds.

i live in indiana.....

while i have never ever looked it up i find it hard to believe there is a law stating vehicles used for commercial use have to be lettered.

i say this because i see so many that aren't lettered. true some of them are scrubs but still there are professional one's that aren't lettered either.

before i got in the business i spent some time working with a guy who did quite a few of the propertys in my neighborhood and he didn't even have a name for his business. no lettering on the truck or trailer.

also if it were the law i would have thought i would have been pulled over by now with as many cops as i see and pass on the road each day. granted most of the time i'm pulling my enclosed trailer which is lettered but my open trailer has no lettering on it whatsoever. and it's pretty obvious that i'm in business with all the equipment in the trailer and truck bed.

i've sat next to state troopers, city and county police at red lights. i've had them directly behind me. hell i was pulled over once because the state was checking any and all vehicles for weight and DOT numbers. didn't have any lettering then.

lakesregionscapes
09-17-2010, 08:18 AM
The fact that many commercial setups in your area aren't lettered may be simply because of poor enforcement, not lack of regulations... We were "educated" recently (initially for broken taillight and non-secured blowers) by a local state trouper on a loooong list of rules - most of which we knew and tried to comply with already.
His comment was that they'd devoted much time in past years to educating the "big trucks" to get them operating safely in past years - i.e. triaxle dumps and the like - and now that they are mostly up to code, they are devoting resources to the smaller commercial operators: landscapers, building contractors, etc. The laws haven't changed, just the enforcement. Sure enough, the majority of LCO's around here are now lettered, new and old.

Trucks of a certain capacity, if not for commercial use, have to have "not for hire" on them... also those that are commercial use, need only have the phone number if I recall correctly. I've seen a few guys have quite small lettering on their personal truck, about the size of the maker badges on the fender. The only way to be sure you have the correct info is to contact DOT directly, plan an hour or so, and be prepared to hear plenty of other stuff you never wanted to know... Such as, to drive our half-ton with our 16ft tandem trailer, gotta have a medical card- even if it is empty, total setup capacity is over 10'000lbs, must. have. card... (company field trip to the occupational health office the very next week for medical cards-bahh!)

AI Inc
09-17-2010, 08:26 AM
If Im not mistaken , if one crosses state lines the town that you work out of must be lettered also.

yardguy28
09-17-2010, 04:40 PM
The fact that many commercial setups in your area aren't lettered may be simply because of poor enforcement, not lack of regulations... We were "educated" recently (initially for broken taillight and non-secured blowers) by a local state trouper on a loooong list of rules - most of which we knew and tried to comply with already.
His comment was that they'd devoted much time in past years to educating the "big trucks" to get them operating safely in past years - i.e. triaxle dumps and the like - and now that they are mostly up to code, they are devoting resources to the smaller commercial operators: landscapers, building contractors, etc. The laws haven't changed, just the enforcement. Sure enough, the majority of LCO's around here are now lettered, new and old.

Trucks of a certain capacity, if not for commercial use, have to have "not for hire" on them... also those that are commercial use, need only have the phone number if I recall correctly. I've seen a few guys have quite small lettering on their personal truck, about the size of the maker badges on the fender. The only way to be sure you have the correct info is to contact DOT directly, plan an hour or so, and be prepared to hear plenty of other stuff you never wanted to know... Such as, to drive our half-ton with our 16ft tandem trailer, gotta have a medical card- even if it is empty, total setup capacity is over 10'000lbs, must. have. card... (company field trip to the occupational health office the very next week for medical cards-bahh!)

but you missed my valid point of that fact that i have already been pulled over by state troopers and the lack of letter was never noted.

i'm not just going off the fact that a lot of LCO's around here aren't lettered.

i'm going by the fact that a man of the law pulled me over to check my weight because i did not have DOT numbers (don't need them) and he never mentioned i didn't have my truck or trailer lettered.

scagrider22
09-17-2010, 09:32 PM

B.S. I dont care where you live you cant be arrested for a non criminal minor misdemeanor offense. They can fine you but not arrest you.

RoyalTree
09-21-2010, 11:24 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/10/10/1276861_p2/miami-dade-countys-costly-nuisance.html

It might sound like bs to you but welcome to the banana republic of Miami. I know several people who have been arrested.

and by the way...look up your facts before ASSuming so much...

scagrider22
09-21-2010, 11:40 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/10/10/1276861_p2/miami-dade-countys-costly-nuisance.html

It might sound like bs to you but welcome to the banana republic of Miami. I know several people who have been arrested.

I know my facts and the facts are that federal laws dont permit a citizen to be arrested for a minor misdemeanor offence unless you refuse to pay your fine in the allowed time, federal laws superceed any bs city ordinance. For instanse there are cities in Colorado that allow you to smoke weed but it is still against the federal law. What you posted was an article and not the state of Florida revised code. It may be Miami's law but its not a state or federal law and those are the ones we must obey. I have three attorneys in the family and I know my rights.

scagrider22
09-21-2010, 11:44 PM
I know my facts and the facts are that federal laws dont permit a citizen to be arrested for a minor misdemeanor offence unless you refuse to pay your fine in the allowed time, federal laws superceed any bs city ordinance. For instanse there are cities in Colorado that allow you to smoke weed but it is still against the federal law. What you posted was an article and not the state of Florida revised code. It may be Miami's law but its not a state or federal law and those are the ones we must obey. I have three attorneys in the family and I know my rights.

Also in the article the people that where arrested commited misdemeanors which are punishable by jail time, a minor misdemeanor is not, unless the fine is not paid.

yardguy28
09-22-2010, 08:25 AM

it's enough for me to assume there isn't a law about lettering your vehicle used for commercial use when a state trooper who's main job is to enforce DOT laws pulls me over, checks my weight (because i had no DOT numbers) and doesn't say a word to me about not being lettered but notices i have a radar detector on my dash..........

Duffster
09-22-2010, 08:35 AM
it's enough for me to assume there isn't a law about lettering your vehicle used for commercial use when a state trooper who's main job is to enforce DOT laws pulls me over, checks my weight (because i had no DOT numbers) and doesn't say a word to me about not being lettered but notices i have a radar detector on my dash..........

YOU know what they say about assuming. :laugh:

Many state troopers and other LEOs, unless they are CMVIs, are ignorant to DOT law.

What was your GCWR?

RoyalTree
09-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Miami-Dade's Article XIII-Commercial Vehicle Identification

Sec. 8A-276. - Requirements.

(a)
Definitions. When used herein:

(1)
The words "commercial vehicle" shall mean any vehicle whether horse-drawn, motor-driven or towed, and used, constructed, or equipped for the transportation of goods, wares, merchandise, tools, or equipment in trade, commerce, or industry. The following vehicles shall be excluded from the effect of this article: Passenger automobiles including station wagons, vehicles constructed for recreational purposes or other noncommercial purposes, vehicles used by governmental agencies for official business, and other vehicles which are or may be required to be similarly identified by State or federal law.

(b)
Vehicles, markings of. Every commercial vehicle operated on the streets of the County shall at all times display, permanently affixed and plainly marked on both sides in letters and numerals not less than three (3) inches in height, the name, address and telephone number of the owner thereof. The numbers of all occupational and business licenses issued to the owner thereof shall be similarly displayed along with and in addition to the other information required by this paragraph. If a vehicle is rented, the information required by this paragraph but applicable to the lessee or user, not the owner, must be affixed to the vehicle and may be affixed to signs made of paperboard and attached by means of tape at the time such vehicle is delivered to the user or lessee.

(c)
Violations. Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished by not more than thirty (30) days imprisonment, or by a fine not more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00) or both. Any person convicted of a second violation of this section shall be punished by not more than thirty (30) days imprisonment, or by a fine not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00) or both. Any subsequent violations of this section shall be punished by not more than thirty (30) days imprisonment, or by a fine not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) or both.

(d)
Applicability. This article shall be applicable in all the unincorporated and incorporated areas of Miami-Dade County, Florida.

(Ord. No. 75-84, §§ 1, 2, 10-15-75; Ord. No. 79-32, § 1, 5-1-79; Ord. No. 95-186, § 1, 10-17-95; Ord. No. 00-70, § 1, 5-23-00)

yardguy28
09-22-2010, 06:44 PM
YOU know what they say about assuming. :laugh:

Many state troopers and other LEOs, unless they are CMVIs, are ignorant to DOT law.

What was your GCWR?

this state troopers job was to do this. i looked his name up. he was in charge of the program or something.

he never told me what my weight was. but i was at least a couple hundred pounds under at the time he weighed me.

right now with my current rig i'm like a couple hundred under the 10,001 requirement.