PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

Turf Technologies
08-10-2002, 09:57 AM
Going to start my own route this spring, but for now i want an idea of my cost for equipment now so i did some searching and ill list what i need to start .

Echo SRM-260 trimmer $284.00
Echo PE 3100 Edger $370.00
Echo PB 260L BP $285.00

WOuld anyone recommened Echo for the beginner?
I ask this because we bought an Echo trimmer 2yrs ago lasted only 6months, in the heat of summer the trimmer heats up and is hard to start and get up to power, has that been fixed?

6x12 open trailer around $1000.00
New WB hydro average $5000.00
Currently have a 2000 GMC serria 4.8 V8.

Anything i might of left out?

Also , what other thin can i being doing now?So im not making a mad rush by December to tie up lose ends?

Thank you to all those i envy.

SLS
08-10-2002, 10:59 AM
Don't forget your eye and ear protection....and a good water jug! Good luck with your new business venture! :)

Art Stubbs handy 58
08-10-2002, 11:08 AM
I wound'nt say buying Echo is for beginners, I purchase a lot of them for my bus, my brother has been in the bus for 20 yrs and buys them yearly. Best hedge trimmers I have had. I would look at buying Red Max blowers they are awsome products.

Good Luck!!!!!

Turf Technologies
08-10-2002, 11:20 AM
Thats how i feel , my brother and my current boss both have there Hedge trimmers , but no Edgers or trimmers or blowers ) Echo did make Lesco products ,they just renamed them Lesco)His equipment is over 6 yrs old and still runs strong , I just dont see to many using them in my area.

Allready have the glasses and water coloer , just cant find the ear protection i want.

shearbolt
08-10-2002, 11:45 AM
Buy 2 used w/bs to start. One for a spare or a p/t helper. Did you really get sacked by Warren Sapp?

Turf Technologies
08-10-2002, 11:48 AM
No i havent but i do hear it alot here in Florida.

Expert Lawns
08-10-2002, 03:08 PM
redmax blowers and trimmers <---- never failed me

have you looked into a used ZTR rider? or a demo? also check out ebay for a blower or trimmer, ya never know. good luck to ya!:p

TLS
08-10-2002, 03:53 PM
Sapp,

I have none of your listed equipment, but have noticed that the ECHO products that they tend to offer in Home Depot are usually NOT up to Commercial standards. Yes they are commercial equipment, and made by ECHO, but they USUALLY aren't their "Top of the Line" models. For instance, you will NOT see SRM-260's and PE-3100's in Home Depot. These are top of the line, and HOMEOWNERS dont need them.

I have a 10+ yo Echo SRM 2501. Have only replaced spark plugs, cleaned muffler, and replaced bump feed head inserts.....THATS IT!

I also have a 4+ yo Echo SRM 2400 Split boom that I have the edger attachment for. Works great, plenty of power. Also just bought the Articulated hedge trimmer attachment for it.

As for a blower, I just bought an ECHO PB-650 just over a year ago. Very powerfull. It replaced an older PB-46 (Lesco/Echo).

As you can see, I like ECHO's. They never let me down, and a lot of parts are similar, so if they ever do, it should be easy to repair.

As for your mower selection,.....I would gather info from here, and also look around in YOUR local area at what other pro's are using. If you see a pattern, take a look at those models.

Good Luck!

Turf Technologies
08-10-2002, 04:36 PM
I agree with you TLS, that Echo trimmer we had came from home depot on sale.But our Lesco/Echo Edgers and trimmers run very strong, considering there age.As far as comerical mower goes WB no doubt. Many here run scag or exmark, mainly ztrs. We are the only Lesco owners.I dont care for the pistol grips, ive been in pain everyday.I think ill go with Hustler.

I decided to go on my own this next yr since my boss who was gonna sell changed his mind.My ideas of things are very diffrent and i want the extra responsibilty.Thks TLS i know now what small engine equipment ill use and its price *one thing off my mind atleast*

Keith
08-10-2002, 04:38 PM
I used Echo stuff for a long time. We had 5 or 6 SRM2400 trimmers and PE2400 edgers. We had a lot of problems with the stuff. I currently have two Echo aggressors with carb problems. I thought it was the nature of the beast, 6 months, then trouble...until I bought a Shindaiwa trimmer :) I still use the 5 1/2 year old T230 on a daily basis. Along with that we have 2 more of those, 3 260 edgers, and two 630 backpacks. We have not really had any problems with any of them. I replaced the recoil on the oldest one, a couple $2 bump feed buttons and some 75 cent eyelets, but thats it.

You can get a T230 for about $260, an edger will run you about $320-380 depending on which you get. And the blower is on sale at most dealers in Florida right now for $429.

Some people get good service out of Echo, I never did.

nokomower
08-10-2002, 08:12 PM
Hello Sapp
I also am starting a lc business in florida a bit south of you though. I found at a mower shop a small magazine called Mower Man it is for the lawn care pros in sw florida. I have got a lot of great infor from them it is published monthly except for dec and Jan send me a message and I will give you there # the subscription is only 20 dollars a year, Not bad if you ask me
good luck