PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem On Snapper Walk-Behind With Kaw. FC420V

lawrenceww
09-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Iím have an older Snapper walk-behind with a 14hp Kawasaki FC420V - DS09 motor. My first problem was that the leads to the clutch were burning up, so I figure the clutch was bad and put a new one in. After I got it installed, I fired up the motor, flipped the PTO switch and . . . nothing. I pulled apart the top of the motor including the flywheel and cleaned everything out. There was a ton of old grass and dirt built up in the air intake and between the flywheel magnets so I thought that may have been preventing the stator from working properly. I even sanded the rust off the coil legs and flywheel. I then had a friend come over with a multimeter to take some ohm readings to be sure the PTO switch, stator, and voltage regulator were good. We got continuity on all readings so I put everything back together. It started up ok one time but still nothing on the clutch. Then I couldnít get it to fire up again after that. So now I got two problems. I think I narrowed the starting problem to a bad coil, but what would keep the clutch from engaging? I tested the two leads that go to the coil and when the PTO switch is on I have continuity. Does it matter which harness lead goes to the clutch leads? They are different colors on the harness but both black on the clutch. The connector plug from the clutch to the harness doesnít match up but I donít think it would matter - let me know if Iím wrong here. I never really got to test the voltage regulator or stator when running so maybe that's my problem. If you have any other ideas I would really appreciate them:)

Restrorob
09-13-2010, 07:35 PM
It doesn't matter which wire on the clutch, It's only a magnet. You need to get it running and test the stator AC voltage output to determine why the clutch isn't working..... Should be 28+ AC volts.

lawrenceww
09-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I kind of figured that would be my next step. I just can't figure out why my coil went bad all of the sudden. I get a break when testing the secondary coil depending on how the plug wire is bent. I'm going to order a new coil tonight so hopefully that will at least get me running again.

StihlMechanic
09-14-2010, 01:15 AM
test the lead to the clutch, you should get 2.0+ ohms, but depending on the exact model of the clutch,(that unit can take 3 different types) you could get as low as 1.2 ohms.