PDA

View Full Version : Tearing out an existing lawn and reseeding

Barrett Landscaping
09-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Customer wants old crabgrass infested lawn taken out and new seed put down. I know the grass needs to be killed off with roundup and topsoil applied, but my question is how much? lawn is only 1000sqft max. Also, with lawns this small do you impose a minumum price?

Smallaxe
09-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Adding topsoil could be more of a hassle than its worth. Doesn't take much to raise the grade, in an area that small and cause water problems on the walks and around foundations. It may be better to till in some ammendments , then replant.

Barrett Landscaping
09-14-2010, 04:35 PM
thanks for the advise:)

DJJS
09-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Don't bother killing the grass with roundup if you're tearing it out just rent a sodcutter and remove it. Till in your ammendments/topsoil and you're ready to seed.

Barrett Landscaping
09-14-2010, 06:26 PM
I was just thinking about that myself. However, I figured that spraying it would eliminate any of the "bad grass" reemerging.

Patriot Services
09-14-2010, 06:54 PM
You have to do a kill off with herbicide or you will have an even worse problem than you started with. A pre-em application as soon as the grass will tolerate it is a must too.:usflag:

Barrett Landscaping
09-14-2010, 07:20 PM
:waving:I appreciate all of the advise

georgiagrass
09-18-2010, 01:46 AM
For that size area, either remove with a sod cutter, or use glyphosphate to kill the existing grass/weeds. Then put down sod. It will cost a little more, but the customer will be more satisfied.

Barrett Landscaping
09-18-2010, 09:04 AM
I mentioned that to them, but they seemed pretty set on seeding it. However, they also thought the exttreme dry weather here in southern ohio right now is the perfect time to do this:laugh:

Patriot Services
09-18-2010, 09:58 AM
This is where you have to be the knowledgeable professional and stand your ground. The customer is not always right. Remember they will blame you regardless if it does not turn out to their satisfaction.:usflag:

Barrett Landscaping
09-18-2010, 10:14 AM
patriot, thanks for the advise

Johnny test
09-18-2010, 05:29 PM
In a small area like that considering that most of the grass in your area has gone dormant. I would just take a thatcher and thatch the sh*t out of it and rake up the debris and then over-seed.. Then next spring apply a crabgrass pre-emergant .. or use round up, then thatcher like someone else said