PDA

View Full Version : Some Exmark blade questions

Navig8r
08-10-2002, 11:26 AM
:confused:
I have a new Exmark Lazer Z HP, 52" trivantage, 23HP Kawi.

It seems that I am getting a lot of buildup on the deck with the factory blades (Excaliburs, I think)

I also have a Scag, 48" WB...It does not "collect" this much on the deck.

I have just applied MO-Deck to the HP.... hope it helps... I do not use it on the Scag.
I DO run one high lift (discharge side) on the Scag.
So.... I have a couple of questions.......
What is the best blade to run (discharging, not mulching/bagging)
on my HP?
I do not want to run doubles because of the lower blade positioning (scalping, etc)

Also, will any 18" blade, with the right size hole (5/8" I think) fit my machine ?(commercial quality, of course)

Does anybody have any good sources for blades (online, mail-order, etc)?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

TLS
08-10-2002, 02:29 PM
Navig8r,

Hi, I don't have a 52" machine, so take what I say in context only...

You say that your "getting a lot of buildup on the deck with the factory blades". Is that buildup on TOP of the deck, or UNDER the deck? I feel that the Excalibur blades are about as perfect as you can get. Right now were dealing with TONS of Buckhorn, and Crabgrass. A nasty combination to say the least. The Crabgrass holds moisture ALL day, and the buckhorn and DUST is like a poor mans cement. Combine the two,....well you get the idea.

I agree on the doubles setting the blades too low. Mine stick out lower than the skirt when I use them. So I just resort to singles.

Hope this helps. Let me know what the answer to my question was.

Navig8r
08-10-2002, 08:52 PM
TLS

By build-up, I mean stuck to the underside of the deck... pretty heavy after only a couple cuts.. starts to drop off and scatter clumps on bumpy lawns......... now, I know, obviously, grass will stick to the deck, but it seems to be excessive.
This is in moderate conditions (not really dry, but at least 1-2 days after rain)
As far as on top goes.... no, "blowout" is not a problem.

Thanks again,

T.J.

JimB
08-11-2002, 01:45 AM
:rolleyes: I have the same exact machine as you do and I get the same exact build up as you do and im not really sure what the answer is, I asked my
Exmark dealer about changing blades but he said not to because most of these aftermarket blades are soft and bend really easy.
I change blades every 15 cuts and scrape the deck out twice a week and seems to work just fine that way.
If you come up with a better way please let me know.

thanx...Jim

Vibe Ray
08-11-2002, 10:22 AM
This is straight from eXmark as they have said many times over on the eXmark forum. The best for discharging are the notched air foils, but if you are experiencing excessive build up, you may want to try solid air foils or low lifts.

Notched Air Foil
These are factory blade and best for most applications
Max. lift and discharge velocity
Ideal for heavy thick grasses
Takes full advantage of hp

Solid Air Foil
Blades reduce flex when mowing
Blades don't tend to bend as easily after impact
Can help in reducing blow out
Helpful in cutting Bahia shoot, Dandelions, Foxtail, etc.
Will reduce discharge velocity

Low Lift
Used a lot in sandy areas
Helps reduce build-up on bottom of deck
Reduces discharge velocity
Reduces blow out
Uses less hp to operate
Lower noise

Mulching
Works well with our mulch kit
Uses maximum hp for best results
Forces clipping back into turf
Blades need to be sharpened more often do to increase cutting of clippings

Navig8r
08-11-2002, 11:04 AM
Jim B.... Howdy neighbor....
:waving:

I'm located in Stormville......
What dealer did you purchase your Exmark from....
I dealt with Empire, in Patterson.
Do you have any experience with the mulch kit, or the Ultra-Vac?
I'm thinking of getting an Ultra-Vac for leaves.

I've seen gators mentioned quite often on here.... can anyone tell me if they work well when used alone (no doubles) on a discharging deck??
:confused:

Thanks again all...... Lots of decisions to make, and I'm glad there are people willing to help,

I appreciate it !!!!

J&JPROPERTY
08-11-2002, 10:41 PM
I run the gator magnums on my 60" lazer. I've been happy with them, the discharge clippings are smaller and it leaves a nice appearance on the lawns. We currently run gators on all the walk behinds and trim mowers. The biggest thing to watch for is grass condition, I've found that if you have an abundance of buckhorn and such you'll wind up with stringers. The magnums are a heavier blade and in my opinion hold up to abuse well. The down sides I've noticed are : takes a little more hp away from the engine and you can tell by the quality of cut when they get dull.

Flex-Deck
08-11-2002, 11:17 PM
Go Gator Blades - I have used them on my JD tractors - 54" & 60" decks, and they eliminate the under side build up, as well as fragment the clippings to the point that hardly anything comes out the discharge area. They stay sharp longer than anything I have used, and don't chip with rocks like the regular JD blades.

Thanks, Brad

JimB
08-11-2002, 11:47 PM
:p Hey neighbor, I buy all my landscape equipment from Whispering Pine Landscape Supply here in Mahopac.
They are a big dealer in scag and exmark and all of the big landscapers in the this area do business with him, give them a call at (914)248-5100 and speak to paul jr. in the tractor dept.
He knows just about everything you could want to know about landscaping and tell him that Jim Brown from Carmel Highway sent ya!!!

...Jim