PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor not working on Hustler Z

dschell
09-14-2010, 03:07 PM
I have a Hustler Z model 926311 with a Kawasaki 680FHV. When I turn the key switch, the solenoid clicks a single time but the starter motor does not run. If I bypass the solenoid and connect the starter directly to the batter with a jumper cable, the starter does work. I have replaced the solenoid but it still clicks a single time and the starter motor does nothing. I have checked all three fuses on the control panel and they are all good

Appreciate any suggestions on what could be the problem.

Thanks, Dave

dschell
09-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Trying to get my Hustler Z running again - when I turn the key, the solenoid single clicks but the starter is dead. I checked voltage and I have 12 volts at the battery side terminal of the solenoid when the key is in the "off" and "run" positions but the voltage drops to 0 at the battery side solenoid terminal when I move the key to the "start" position. Not sure how that could happen.

Is this a problem with a relay?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave Schell

mowerconsultant
09-15-2010, 04:16 PM
You need to check the relays under your control panel, there are 3 of them.

Pj

dschell
09-16-2010, 06:48 PM
I have replaced the solenoid and all 3 relays and the problem still persists. I have strong voltage to battery-side terminal of the solenoid when the key is in off and run positions, but once I move the key to the start position, the solenoid voltage drops to 0 (even on the battery side terminal of the solenoid).

This is a mystery to me since there is a big red cable directly from the battery to the solenoid. How or what can effectively break that connection by turning the ignition key to "start"? I can hear the switch on the solenoid activating when I turn the key to start, but the voltage drops to zero.

Any suggestions on other things to test?

Thanks for the assistance,
Dave

dschell
09-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Mystery solved - even though the battery was putting out 12 volts, the amperage must have been too low for the starter when routed through the solenoid.

urban
09-22-2010, 04:26 PM
so, what exactly did you do to repair it?

dschell
09-23-2010, 10:23 AM
I only had to replace the battery to repair it - that got the starter motor working and the engine turning over. Lesson learned: Amperage is as important as volts in measuring the condition of a battery.

But my problems are significantly bigger - the engine is locking up - bent push rods, broken piston rods, etc. Looks like I had a catatrosphic engine failure.

See my new thread on "Kawasaki 23HP engine rebuild" :-)