PDA

View Full Version : Any idea what size this is

RLI Electric
09-14-2010, 08:06 PM
I looked at a job today and the client wants to add some fixtures to their existing stuff. They have a Luma transformer and I am assuming it is a 150 watt but I was wondering if any of you can confirm. Here is a picture.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Bob, do yourself and your client a favour and upgrade them into a new transformer. Remember that if you touch it, you 'own it'. No point putting your good name in jeopardy with retail store stuff like that.

Does that transformer have any sort of secondary side protection?

RLI Electric
09-14-2010, 09:03 PM
What it does have is the cord is run through the wall to an outlet in the garage. Code Schmode;) I am going to have to move him up to a 300 watt multitap anyway. Just curious what size this thing was.

klkanders
09-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Just curious what size this thing was.

Just small enough to fit in the trash can! :)

150W is a good guess. Looks mounted to low also.

Good Luck on the Upsell!

The Lighting Geek
09-15-2010, 01:49 AM
couple of years ago I ran into a complete job where they used that manu. It had a funky 12-3 uf wire with the common in the middle. It used a pierce point connector and depending which side of the wire you used, you could switch between 2 circuits. In the case of this job, they had up lights on one side and the path lights on the other, everything daisy chained throughout the yard. Novel idea, but a PITA to repair. Needless to say say, the customer now has a new system. That 12/3 wire must cost a fortune.

David Gretzmier
09-15-2010, 11:02 PM
with the new trans upgrade, if that unit still puts out 12 volts, just use it on your workbench in your shop to test lights or repairs.

Tomwilllight
09-16-2010, 02:49 PM
I bet it will recycle... Kindest thing to do.
Tom

Thoren
09-17-2010, 01:34 AM
That is a Luna transformer made by Ruud Lighting in Racine WI. Their bread and butter is Commercial Line Voltage Fixtures. I belive it is a 300w transformer, the 600w modes have 3 more screws below the 3 in the picture.
push button breaker is on the bottom. The nice thing about some of these models is that they are dimmable. It should say it on the writing or even have a knob for the adjustment, if it is dimmable.

I think Rudd may be out of the low voltage business but you could check out their website if you are interested.