PDA

View Full Version : My Rig (1956 Dodge)

AKLawn&Garden
09-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Here are some pics of my setup. Not fancy but I hope it gets the job done. Just got my first monthly account today!:cool2:

1956 Dodge C3 Pickup almost 100% original. I built the wood sides on the bed out of scraps and carriage bolts and threw on a coat of poly. It came with the utility bumper which is nice but i don't plan on pulling a trailer with it unless I have to.

Mowingman
09-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Nice old truck. Has it got a V8, or a flathead 6 in it?

bobcat48
09-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Looks good.

AKLawn&Garden
09-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Nice old truck. Has it got a V8, or a flathead 6 in it?

It has the 6. Three on the tree baby

93Chevy
09-14-2010, 08:46 PM
I like your truck. Really cool to see something like that on the road.

Mowingman
09-14-2010, 08:49 PM
That would be the 230 flathead. Great engine with lots of torque. They used those in the military M37's and in the 1 ton Dodge Power Wagons.

BlackDog3
09-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Thats awesome dude, i get compliments all the time about my Old 82 Chevy kicking ass daily. You will get noticed too, trust me!

Chris

AKLawn&Garden
09-14-2010, 09:19 PM
The first thing I did when I decided to get into "the business" was sell my Civic and bring this truck out of the garage. It has 60,000 original miles. The previous owner was a real enthusiast and did most of the heavy lifting. He rebuilt the engine, transmission, brakes, gauges, etc. All I had to do was clean up the wheels and put new tires on it. I also cleaned up a little surface rust in places and covered bare metal in primer.
I don't want use it as an everyday driver for long but for now it is working well as a work truck. It has that Sanford and Son vibe that draws eye and hopefully works as free advertising.

AKLawn&Garden
09-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Thats awesome dude, i get compliments all the time about my Old 82 Chevy kicking ass daily. You will get noticed too, trust me!

Chris

Nice ride!

I get a lot of old guys stopping me in parking lots to tell me how they learned to drive on truck just like mine. I love being reminded of that connection to the past on a daily basis.

Sweet Tater
09-14-2010, 09:42 PM
no offence its a kewl truck, but I am rofl , first thing that came to mind was Sanford and Son. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :drinkup:

ShooterK2
09-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Nice old truck! Now let's see some pics of your work!

nepatsfan
09-14-2010, 10:03 PM
The first thing I did when I decided to get into "the business" was sell my Civic and bring this truck out of the garage. It has 60,000 original miles. The previous owner was a real enthusiast and did most of the heavy lifting. He rebuilt the engine, transmission, brakes, gauges, etc. All I had to do was clean up the wheels and put new tires on it. I also cleaned up a little surface rust in places and covered bare metal in primer.
I don't want use it as an everyday driver for long but for now it is working well as a work truck. It has that Sanford and Son vibe that draws eye and hopefully works as free advertising.

Nice ride, this was the first thing I thought of too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WqazleR3FE

cleansweeplawncare
09-14-2010, 10:40 PM
We all have to start some where! Next step is to trade in that yard works mower and get yourself a commercial self propelled mower!

PlantscapeSolutions
09-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Good luck the truck looks good. Too bad it doesn't have a Cummins! Hopefully you get enough work to make the Dodge you weekend novelty truck. In this business you have to have rock solid dependable transportation. An old truck breaking down can get you in trouble pretty quickly once you get really busy.

AKLawn&Garden
09-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Nice old truck! Now let's see some pics of your work!

Here you go. Not much there yet
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3720803#post3720803

"We all have to start some where! Next step is to trade in that yard works mower and get yourself a commercial self propelled mower!"

I've been looking at commercial mowers for the last month. I plan on upgrading ASAP. Looking at Honda, Toro, and Ariens. I'm 27 and like the exercise. Is self propelled that important if most lawns I do are smaller and flat? Those drives just seem like one more thing that can break down.

"Good luck the truck looks good. Too bad it doesn't have a Cummins! Hopefully you get enough work to make the Dodge you weekend novelty truck. In this business you have to have rock solid dependable transportation. An old truck breaking down can get you in trouble pretty quickly once you get really busy. "

Thanks! Yeah, I love the truck but I'm always thinking in the back of my mind that it could break down at any moment.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Nice old truck, but I agree, first thing that came to my mind was Sanford & Son.

cleansweeplawncare
09-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Plan ahead for the future. You are probably not going to do flat surfaced turfs forever. Might as well invest for the future!

rockycrab
09-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Great Truck. Take care of it buddy, I vote on the self propel tranny for your 21's. I think they are well worth the investment, We buy 20 toros every season always with tranny's.

Lawn Enforcer
09-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Very cool old Dodge!

PlantscapeSolutions
09-15-2010, 01:32 PM
You just can't beat a Honda commercial mower for small areas. I think Honda is the only one with a hydro tranny. Fluid on fluid always beat metal on metal! You can't make any real money using a push mower in areas a walk behind will do in 1/3rd of the time though. Find a used belt drive for around a grand. When the money rolls in dump the belt drive and go hydro. Belt drive are great for people on a budget but the pros know hydro is the way to go.

peahlybros.
09-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Awesome truck. Obviously i hope you plan on getting another truck to pull a trailer and do your routine maintenance. But NEVER get rid of this truck. A nice paint job and either signs or lettering and the truck becomes a company icon. Definantly a head turner and everyone will know you and the company by the truck.

There was another guy on here that used an old (like your vintage) box truck as his leaf truck. Probably one of the coolest setups I have ever seen.