PDA

View Full Version : Homemade landscape bed for small truck?

StihlMechanic
09-14-2010, 09:35 PM
I am planning to build a dovetail ramp gate bed extender (if you can call it that) this winter for my small v6 1994 dakota just to do mow and go's. I have a 92 ford diesel f250 with a 6x12 trailer for hauling but when I dont use my 60 incher, its just a waste of fuel hauling it all around.

Anyone build there own? Pictures?

I plan to leave my bed, remove the tailgate and go from there. My plan is to get a 32 or 36 inch wb, a 21 inch and misc to go up the ramp and fit securely.

chrispondilm
09-16-2010, 09:11 PM
built one on the back of my toyota tundra and it works great. I carry one TT36 and a 21. No problems with sagging. Saves on gas too.

StihlMechanic
09-16-2010, 10:46 PM
built one on the back of my toyota tundra and it works great. I carry one TT36 and a 21. No problems with sagging. Saves on gas too.

any pictures?

flatlander42
09-17-2010, 09:55 AM
that is my plan for winter. I would like to build the same thing for my f150....Even if it is for snowblowers during a storm.

Kinda like this only on the back of a pickup. I want to see pics too!

http://www.wil-ro.com/content/landscpae_truc/van_body_doveta.asp

StihlMechanic
09-17-2010, 07:13 PM
that is my plan for winter. I would like to build the same thing for my f150....Even if it is for snowblowers during a storm.

Kinda like this only on the back of a pickup. I want to see pics too!

http://www.wil-ro.com/content/landscpae_truc/van_body_doveta.asp

Very cool website, thanks. Yes, I just want a dovetail ramp gate for the rear of the bed too. Found a guy that has one near me but it just has a 26 inch ramp gate, would like to load at least a 32 inch toro. So I am going to build one in the off season for my dakota. Thinking I need to remove the rear bumper and install it there for structure. Not sure yet.

flatlander42
09-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Very cool website, thanks. Yes, I just want a dovetail ramp gate for the rear of the bed too. Found a guy that has one near me but it just has a 26 inch ramp gate, would like to load at least a 32 inch toro. So I am going to build one in the off season for my dakota. Thinking I need to remove the rear bumper and install it there for structure. Not sure yet.

I have the same thoughts as you. Definately mount it to the frame where the bumper mounts. Then I was even going to make some bed rails that went the full length of the bed and continued down the dovetail so ya have sides that are rigid too. Then from your reciever hitch, I'd even get some long square tube (like a 4' long reciever hitch) and mount it right to the center of the end of the dovetail.

ashs inc
09-23-2010, 08:35 PM
check this out

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=327557&highlight=z_clark

Barrett Landscaping
09-23-2010, 08:41 PM
they make ramps for trucks that just go into the hitches for support and fold up that way. no mods needed.

flatlander42
09-23-2010, 09:33 PM
they make ramps for trucks that just go into the hitches for support and fold up that way. no mods needed.

I've seen those, and don't like them. They are a little bit to generic/cheezy looking. And would not have the strength of an actuall fabricated dovetail. With the dovetail it would allow the ramp to be much shorter too.

Barrett Landscaping
09-23-2010, 09:55 PM
whatever, it allows you to be more flexible and are cheaper than going all out custom. They are strong enought to put ztrs on

flatlander42
09-23-2010, 09:59 PM
What brand are you talking about? Do you have a link? Won't hurt to take a look.

Maco Services
09-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Ive got an older hitch mount ramp, and it's worked great in our long bed. Unfortunately, the same company doesn't sell them anymore.

Any link to a company that makes these, and someone is using them everyday, commercially? Mine was holding up until one of our trucks got rear ended, but I'm trying to price and order an alternative.

Links please and opinions on usage. Thanks!