PDA

View Full Version : Finish cut ends

Dirt Boy
09-14-2010, 11:02 PM
First off, I'm a rookie plain & simple.
Did a small retaining wall for myself, decorative, using Menards materials, did another for my mother (she's happy!)

But, my question is this, I end up having to cut some of the caps which have exposed ends, and they, of course, tend to stand out from the others.

Can this be corrected, or how do you get around this?

Thanks for your input

neversatisfiedj
09-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Split them

PatriotLandscape
09-15-2010, 06:00 PM
use a 4inch chisel and chisel it off.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
09-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Take them down to your supplier and have them split the caps with a block splitter. They usually charge $2-$3 per split.

zedosix
09-15-2010, 08:02 PM
If they are glued on now and you have min. overhang you may want to remove them and put new ones on. If you have sufficient overhang, just take a 3" cold chisel and small sledge, chip the cap all the way around and hopefully it comes off evenly, the finish should resemble (or close too) the front of the cap.

Dirt Boy
09-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys

I tried splitting a few by hand, but that didn't turn out so well as they pretty much just broke irregularly.
I did it the "proper" way, scoring, etc. but, part of the problem is they are an "U" shape with very small legs, and that don't help them to break straight. On top of that they're Menards, so quality probably isn't top notch.

I will try taking a chisel to the face of them to try and give it a better look, and see what happens.

Regards

Even Cut Lawn Care
09-16-2010, 12:59 AM
Cut the other end!

zedosix
09-16-2010, 05:43 AM
Cut the other end!

Good answer, now why didn't I think of that.:hammerhead:

neversatisfiedj
09-16-2010, 07:17 AM
I think he is referring to the cut would hang over for the eyebrow ?

Even Cut Lawn Care
09-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Good answer, now why didn't I think of that.:hammerhead:

Maybe I dont understand what he's trying to say....? Thats what I do, If Im goint to have a step wall with a cap. Start at the last block on that run to ensure all overhangs are equal, then work back to the step if that makes sense. Probably not the "right" way to do it but it works well for me.

What do you mean eyebrow?

Dirt Boy
09-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Well, I'll take a picture so you can understand what I'm talking about.
But cutting off the opposite end won't work, already thought of that.

Bru75
09-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks guys

I tried splitting a few by hand, but that didn't turn out so well as they pretty much just broke irregularly.
I did it the "proper" way, scoring, etc. but, part of the problem is they are an "U" shape with very small legs, and that don't help them to break straight. On top of that they're Menards, so quality probably isn't top notch.

I will try taking a chisel to the face of them to try and give it a better look, and see what happens.

Regards

What are they laying on when you cut them? If you are chiseling on hard uneven ground it will be hard to control the split. Lay them on some sand and try the chisel again.

Even Cut Lawn Care
10-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Well what did ya figure out?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dirt Boy
10-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Nothing yet, been too busy doing other things to get back and finish this. You know how it is? Every one has shoe's except the cobbler:)
But here's a pic of what I'm talking about.
The cut end is what I don't like.

Even Cut Lawn Care
10-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Nothing yet, been too busy doing other things to get back and finish this. You know how it is? Every one has shoe's except the cobbler:)
But here's a pic of what I'm talking about.
The cut end is what I don't like.

Do it just like you did the others...cut the opposite end!

Dirt Boy
10-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Yes, I could've on that one, guess I was trying to save pieces. But, there are others where that would not have been possible without cutting more little pieces to fit.