PDA

View Full Version : Why do some customers think that they are the only customer you have????

KENNY DEAN
09-15-2010, 06:42 PM
My main ztr broke down 2 days ago and should be ready tommorow but I have 1 customer that is so worried about her grass that she has called twice and even mentioned that she might have to call someone else to come and cut it. She is the only 1 left that i didnt get rid of last year because she pays on time. ( I culled the sorry ones for good last season) I have mowed her lawn etc, for the past 8 years and havent missed a bi-weekly cut yet. She even called me on every other monday to make sure i didnt forget her, until this year I guess she figured i wasnt going to forget. Dont really have a question just thought it was kind of funny how ridiculous some customers can be. I guess she is old and lonely and needs somebody to bother.:hammerhead:

DitchDr
09-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Mower in the shop, get the push mower out and take care of business. This job is defined by doing what you said you would, and doing it when you said you would

kilgoja
09-15-2010, 08:23 PM
just do it tomorrow if the mower is ready tomorrow

KENNY DEAN
09-15-2010, 08:25 PM
I sure will if it is not done by the end of the week. But what about the other 4 yards beside her. If your customer does not understand when you have a major equipment problem once in 8 years then they live in fantasy land. What if it was a 3 acre yard. You didnt ask about that. Are you going to push that Mr. energetic. I knew there would be 1 know it all to respond to the post. The point is people on this earth need some patience. My customers do come first but lets get real.:laugh:

KENNY DEAN
09-15-2010, 08:28 PM
my thoughts exactly kilgoja. I believe the ditch dotor has that name for a reason. cant get out of it.

yardguy28
09-15-2010, 08:41 PM
is this going to be another thread full of people whinning about what they don't like in this business.

if this bothers you that much to post a thread about, maybe you should consider a different line of work.

sorry if i'm not a complainer but it seems to me of all the things you shouldn't complain about the clients are the number one thing because they are the reason your in business. no clients-no money, no money-no business.

each and every client wants to be treated like they are the only one you service. i try and treat each client like this.

more importantly though it was already said. people want someone who will show up and do the job they said they would each and every week. no excuses. reliablity is a very important part of this business.

client don't care about your other clients and i don't blame them. if i hired someone to cut my grass i wouldn't give a damn what else they have going on. you show up when you say your gonna show up.

there's a thing called backup equipment or the old 21 incher. you don't just sit around and not work because your equipment broke. you find a way to get it done. use a 21 incher, go rent one, whatever.

klogan011
09-15-2010, 09:07 PM
I agree you must take care of your customers. I would recommend renting a mower to get the job done or if the yard can be push mowed go that route. I understand that you may only break even or even lose some money for the week but you took care of the customer. That customer will then stick with you and you can make more money on them later. Its a lot easier to keep a customer and make them happy than to find a new one.

gene gls
09-15-2010, 09:10 PM
My main ztr broke down 2 days ago and should be ready tommorow but I have 1 customer that is so worried about her grass that she has called twice and even mentioned that she might have to call someone else to come and cut it. She is the only 1 left that i didnt get rid of last year because she pays on time. ( I culled the sorry ones for good last season) I have mowed her lawn etc, for the past 8 years and havent missed a bi-weekly cut yet. She even called me on every other monday to make sure i didnt forget her, until this year I guess she figured i wasnt going to forget. Dont really have a question just thought it was kind of funny how ridiculous some customers can be. I guess she is old and lonely and needs somebody to bother.:hammerhead:

You need spare equipment, mower,trimmer,blower. Its also good to have an extra truck.

KENNY DEAN
09-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the replies guys and agree with most everything you all have said. I also do not like to complain but just thought it was funny how she reacted. Her yard will be mowed by weeks end just like it has for the last 8 years. Just wanted to stir things up a little.

SuperPROlawnScalper
09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
where'd you take it to get fixed

mine is in the shop right now - exmark dealer
they have a loaner ZTR
they said to use it all i want, even was gonna let me keep it 24/7 till mine is done

but i take it back when i don't need it just cuz i'm more comfortable with it sitting in their lot instead of mine

if your shop doesn't have a loaner for commercial guys tell them to get one or find a new shop

kilgoja
09-15-2010, 11:12 PM
it seems weird...if you explained to her that your mower was in the shop and would be ready in a few days i don't see why she would have a problem waiting a few extra days for her yard to get cut...what does she say when it rains? lol

yardguy28
09-15-2010, 11:26 PM
believe it or not some people want there lawn mowed no matter what. rain, shine, sleet or snow........lol

i think for some people though mother nature messing things up is understandable, you can't control the weather.

but IMO for any us to have to delay or cancel our services because of broken equipment. well thats just unacceptable. we should all have backup equipment or a way to get some asap. this is our job after all.

if you went to the hospital and they were out of gauze would they just make you wait until they got more? no, they would either borrow some from somewhere else or find something else that would work until more came in.

so you don't just make your clients wait until your mower is fixed. you either use your backup or go rent one. or assuming you have friends in the industy which is another thing we should all have maybe you borrow one of theres or maybe they will service the client for you until your's is fixed.

i have both backup equipment and friends in the industy.

davis45
09-15-2010, 11:58 PM
In pretty much any service industry, you should have 2 of everything.

Breakdowns are very common, you can't just sit around for a couple days every time something breaks down.

Sammy
09-16-2010, 05:26 AM
is this going to be another thread full of people whinning about what they don't like in this business.

if this bothers you that much to post a thread about, maybe you should consider a different line of work.

sorry if i'm not a complainer but it seems to me of all the things you shouldn't complain about the clients are the number one thing because they are the reason your in business. no clients-no money, no money-no business.

each and every client wants to be treated like they are the only one you service. i try and treat each client like this.

more importantly though it was already said. people want someone who will show up and do the job they said they would each and every week. no excuses. reliablity is a very important part of this business.

client don't care about your other clients and i don't blame them. if i hired someone to cut my grass i wouldn't give a damn what else they have going on. you show up when you say your gonna show up.

there's a thing called backup equipment or the old 21 incher. you don't just sit around and not work because your equipment broke. you find a way to get it done. use a 21 incher, go rent one, whatever.

Spot On. I have to agree with this.

tobylou8
09-16-2010, 09:10 AM
In my experience, customers don't care about all your problems. They hired you to perform a service. With the number of providers available, being reliable is important. If you only have 1 "Z" and multiple acres to cut, then you need 2! I always carry 2 "Z's" and 2 WB's so I a mechanical issue doesn't sideline me. Been there, done that, lost the customer!

MarcSmith
09-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Why do some customers think that they are the only customer you have????

Because you should treat each an every customer as if its the only one you have.

I know GM makes 100,000's of cars each year. but when my car is down for warranty service. I don't care about the other 99,999 cars that are running fine...Mine is the most important...to me...

kilgoja
09-16-2010, 10:17 AM
well yeah if it happened to me i would just borrow my dad's mower or something until mine was out of the shop...but if it's only gonna take a day or two for your mower to get fixed that's not that big of a deal for them to wait 1 or 2 days longer.....now if they had to wait for a week or so that would be a different story

cut level
09-16-2010, 11:13 AM
believe it or not some people want there lawn mowed no matter what. rain, shine, sleet or snow........lol

i think for some people though mother nature messing things up is understandable, you can't control the weather.

but IMO for any us to have to delay or cancel our services because of broken equipment. well thats just unacceptable. we should all have backup equipment or a way to get some asap. this is our job after all.

if you went to the hospital and they were out of gauze would they just make you wait until they got more? no, they would either borrow some from somewhere else or find something else that would work until more came in.

so you don't just make your clients wait until your mower is fixed. you either use your backup or go rent one. or assuming you have friends in the industy which is another thing we should all have maybe you borrow one of theres or maybe they will service the client for you until your's is fixed.

i have both backup equipment and friends in the industy.

Well I have to agree 100%. I try and make each customer feel they are the most important but barring health problems or family emergency, they will get mowed because I got back up mowers and a friend in the business that will help me. I had to have him mow all my accounts last year from July 17 on due to back surgery. I didnt lose 1 account because of this. I spoke to each count personally and guaranteed the same level of work and respect and they understood and had no complaints. There is no way you should be operating a mowing business to the tune of 1 mower. Its totally unacceptable practices but thats my opinion.

If I had 1 mower and it was in the shop I would have no rebuttal or reason to whine about a client concerned about their yard getting serviced this week. You are hired because you promise to deliver a service and because the client wants their property looking good.

IMO you are setting yourself up to lose clients because of this very reason cause I have picked em up for these reasons in the past. Go get you another mower. You out there with the 21 inch push mower shows your client you are truely concerned with doing what you agreed to do...taking care of their yard while your big mower is in the shop. It should go a long way with your clients and would make them more succeptible to refer ya!

Roger
09-16-2010, 11:43 AM
I have worked hard to have every customer believe they are the only customer I have. I believe this should be the goal of every LCO.

Ditto to what was said above about getting the job done, as close to the time promised. Customers don't need to hear a tale of woe about other customers, other commitments, etc. They hired a contractor to do the job, end of story.

Funny thing, ... when threads are written about a dealer not taking care of the contractors needs first, and the dealer not handling the situation as expected because of having too much other work, the dealers take a punch in the gut. Many threads on LS suggesting the LCO should be made to feel they are the only customer of the dealer.

cut level
09-16-2010, 11:54 AM
I have worked hard to have every customer believe they are the only customer I have. I believe this should be the goal of every LCO.

Ditto to what was said above about getting the job done, as close to the time promised. Customers don't need to hear a tale of woe about other customers, other commitments, etc. They hired a contractor to do the job, end of story.

Funny thing, ... when threads are written about a dealer not taking care of the contractors needs first, and the dealer not handling the situation as expected because of having too much other work, the dealers take a punch in the gut. Many threads on LS suggesting the LCO should be made to feel they are the only customer of the dealer.

:clapping::dizzy::weightlifter:

yardguy28
09-16-2010, 05:47 PM
i always carry backup equipment with me. that way if something breaks i don't have to run to the shop and get the backup.

its not about the client waiting the day or 2 to get there lawn cut. it's about the fact that they hired you to cut there grass on a weekly basis on a certain day of the week.

like it was already said. clients don't care about your problems. they don't care if your equipment is broken. you are suppose to be a professional. thats why they hired you. they also might not care because they would expect somone in the this business where that type of equipment is needed to perform the work that you would have backups of some kind available. so it's basically an unacceptable excuse.

if i hired a lawn maintenance company i sure wouldn't accept them calling and delaying service because of breakdowns. they should have backups. especially when that equipment is needed to perform the work. it's not like you can cut the grass with something besides a mower.

DitchDr
09-16-2010, 06:51 PM
my thoughts exactly kilgoja. I believe the ditch dotor has that name for a reason. cant get out of it.

#1 I got the name " DitchDr" cause I am a paramedic.
#2 YOU opened a lawn care business, YOU sold the customer a service, YOU are unable to complete said service on a agreed time and date.
#3 YOU let your customer down!
#4 YOU should have back up.
#5 Stuck in a ditch? Lets get it straight, I get calls every day from customers who can not count on their current LCO. So if by ditch you mean, increasing my customer and net profits cause YOU cant deliver on your promises, then yes I am in a ditch.

SO much of a ditch i'm taking tomorrow off and going fishing:drinkup:

yardguy28
09-16-2010, 07:47 PM
very well said ditchdr............short, sweet and to the point......

and very very true i will and must add.

tobylou8
09-17-2010, 12:07 AM
My largest acct, became mine when the LCO kept having breakdowns, "thefts", truck problems, etc. . He had to have really ticked them off with excuses. They are the most patient, fastest paying and laid back people I service.

yardguy28
09-17-2010, 04:49 PM
i treat each client like i would want to be treated by a lawn maintenace company if i had one.

excuses like breakdowns would not fly with me. so why should i expect my clients to accept that excuse?

most people that hire us care about there lawn or they wouldn't hire us. so i can see where a day or 2 late would make a difference to them. i know sometimes the weather causes us to be a day or 2 late but you can't control the weather.

breakdowns you have better control over. it's called backup equipment or rental equipment.

KENNY DEAN
09-19-2010, 07:31 PM
I borrowed my friends TORO and got everything done but my mower still isnt fixed. dealer cant figure it out and i have spent 2 days myself with no answer. As everyone has suggested a backup is on the top of the list. I didnt need that advice but it was welcome. Thanks for the replies and happy mowing.

DitchDr
09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
If nothing else try to get a cheap rider off craigs list as a back up.