PDA

View Full Version : bushogging

Bunton Guy
08-10-2002, 08:49 PM
Is this a hard task or is at easy as it looks ? just driving slowly over the brush and overgrown grass...maybe some small trees no larger than 1 inch wide

65hoss
08-11-2002, 07:30 AM
It depends on experience levels. Do you know how to negotiate obsticles with a tractor to keep from turning over? Also, just driving thru can cost big dollars. Cut tire, busted hog, bent blade, etc.

Oh, danger factor. Tractors and bushhogs are very dangerous. Fun yes, but dangerous. You fall off and the bushhog may run right over you. I know a guy that had that happen. He is very very lucky to be around still to tell about it.

southside
08-11-2002, 10:12 AM
Slashing is a lot harder than it looks. A lot of operators get killed
here each year. You have to be able to "read" the ground in front of you. You have to know the centre of gravity on each tractor.
Slashers are tough machines,but they can be very expensive to fix. Tractors fun? The novelty wers off real fast.

Gordon
08-18-2002, 09:53 PM
Southside wrote "Tractors fun? The novelty wears off real fast."

Your right there southside a bundle of joy over the years turns into the same ole same ole. I've got a ton of hours with a bushhog behind my tractor. Money is good but it's boring as heck.

That slashing rig-bushhog on this side of the creek- you have Southside looks like a tough rig.

What always makes me laugh to myself is I'll ask about any ditches on the property or any trash and the usual reply is NO.
Guess what a steelbelted radial can do to a cutter. Ruin the morning thats for sure.

But yes being able to "read" the ground is key to keeping a tractor upright and out of the hidden ditches on strange property that only gets cut once or twice a year. A ditch can sure come up on you quick. I've had a couple of real close calls over the years.

So I guess to answer the first question, no it's not what it seems. It can be very dangerous. A rock or piece of trash thrown can do some major damage as well. Chainguards on the cutter are a very good investment to keep flying debris down.

Another thing you have to keep a close eye on is the temp gauge. The drier it is the quicker you can be overheating. Sometimes I can cut for hours without cleaning the front. On other fields or this year in general it seems everything is so fallow that I'm cleaning the front end every hour to keep the tractor from running hot.

Yup easy as it looks I guess, all depends on what and where your cutting.

Gordon

digger1
09-01-2002, 11:37 PM
brush hogging is like getting a new game. it's great to play when it is new but gets old real quick. ditto on the safety chains to keep stuff from spittin' out at you. If you have a newer tractor with a roll bar, may want to consider getting a piece of heavy plexiglass and mount it across the backside to protect you from any "missles" that the mower decides to launch your way.
most importantly, use the gift of 'common sense' that you have.

65hoss
09-02-2002, 08:29 AM
Anything and everything can become boring. But for most of us that don't get the chance to use a tractor all day everyday they are fun. Its something different. As an added service, its not something we would be doing all the time.

I sit on a eXmark Lazer a lot of hours each week. Regardless, its still fun. I enjoy it. Its much better than working for someone else. Its much more profitable. I haven't had a job in a while. To me my business is enjoyable. Hard at times, but I enjoy it. Lifes to short to be miserable at what you do.

southside
09-02-2002, 10:10 AM
I don't know about miserable,but it certainly gets dull. Then again
slashing is one of those jobs where dull is good. If it gets exciting then you're usually in a world of trouble. There are times when you can have fun with a tractor/slasher,mainly if it involves destroying things. :D See the thread in commercial lawn care regarding what have you run over? I have quite a list posted there. :D

65hoss
09-02-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by southside
Then again slashing is one of those jobs where dull is good. If it gets exciting then you're usually in a world of trouble. There are times when you can have fun with a tractor/slasher,mainly if it involves destroying things. :D

Very True!

:D

AltaLawnCare
09-02-2002, 12:35 PM
After mowing with a Z, Bush-Hogging, (or "Rotary Blade Cutting" for the politically correct.):cool: ), is tedious...especially with my 48" cut .
:(

Cheese burger
12-01-2002, 11:38 PM
I have just about quit bidding on bush hogging jobs around here because I always get beat on price by some kid with a 25 year old ford he borrowed from his uncle. He can do just as good a job with his $1500 rig as I can do with my $35000 set up. It just makes me look overpriced

Dave

lblair
12-07-2002, 09:02 AM
I pretty much quite bush hoging also. Not due to under bidders, but most people around here that want hogging done is all way over grown yards....and i mean way over grown. Now they say oh no there is nothing out there. I have always found on every job that if a person dont care enough to let their lawn get so out of control they didnt care what they thru out there mean while. Then they are upset because you wrecked their garden hoses. Or a kid stands back watching you dig his football and basket ball out of your blades. Plus they wonder why their yard looks like its ready for the bailer and it my fault. No matter how many times you tell them it wont look like a finish mower job they feel it should when your done :dizzy:

GraZZmaZter
12-16-2002, 01:11 PM
To everyone who said something about the job being "boring", i have some good news for you! I bought some "worktunes" this past season, and have never looked back since. For those of you that dont know what they are, please let me explain. They are simply a radio inside a pair of earmuffs.(the mickey mouse kind). I have been putting off getting a pair because they are a bit pricey. However, after buying them, i truly dont know how i did without them. They make the day go so much better, while protecting your hearing to boot! They would definately help with any monotonus job, including bushhogging.

Iblair "Customers are wondering why their yard looks like its ready for the bailer" :p :D That is the funniest thing ive read in a while. What a hoot! Keep the jokes coming!

lblair
12-16-2002, 07:44 PM
They are not jokes...but i think you know that:confused: I still do some bush hogg'in where bush hogg'in is due. I like mostly tilling for people. Now these people really like a tractor guy. They see their top soil and sod turn into powdered gold in no time. The 3 point tiller is a fantastic attachment for a compact tractor. These people real feel they got their moneys worth and that makes a guy feel good. GrazzMazter, i know what ya mean though im just bustin ya.
Larry

GraZZmaZter
12-17-2002, 12:51 PM
Larry - No problem! I thought the part about the bailer was a hoot! Just picturing a Combine running through someone's yard made me laugh. I like to look at the funny side of life sometimes...

lblair
12-17-2002, 04:33 PM
I look at the funny side of life alot, plus im a big butt buster and i like being ripped on its all in good fun!
Larry

lblair
12-20-2002, 11:01 PM
This is why i like to bush hog. This is my property. Ive been hoggin away in my woods for 2 seasons now. Im not cutting all 4 acers down but alot of paths and openings with some clearing aound some nice size trees....Its Fun!

Larry

lblair
12-20-2002, 11:05 PM
I just had to take this shot:blob3:
Larry

Remo Sid
12-21-2002, 11:19 PM
I thought you said you were bush hogging. Better hope that little baby tractor doesn't quit running in the brush. A real bushog might come along and run plumb over it. ;) j/k

I work for the street department of my city. I operate various kinds of heavy equipment, and love every minute of it. We just got a d6d cat in friday, was putting it through its paces when quitting time came. Sure hated to have to go home. ;)

kELTIC
12-25-2002, 04:49 PM
I agree with Iblair, one of the biggest probs are folks who think their over grown field should look like a lawn after u hog it. I'm always careful to stress that is not the case, and it rarely seems to help. Often in the catch 22 situation, go slow and try to get it smoother? or try to keep the hours (bill) down? I do quite alot and some jobs are great little money makers, and others are pigs, especially when you break stuff. Have a good Excessmas

lblair
12-26-2002, 09:03 AM
kELTIC,
Thanks for the vote! I did this hoggin job for a guy and it was his yard. Got it all done after about 2 hours many stops cleaning my radiators pre filter.(screen) Well it looked like it was ready to be bailed. He was not happy with it...nor was i really, but what can you do with 4 feet high grass and weeds. He said next time hell get some one else...i said gladly! Who does he call 2 months later...You guessed. ME. I went and looked at it and told him sorry i dont want to disapoint you again. He was more upset with me cause i wouldnt cut it again. Go figure :dizzy:
Larry

Jusmowin
12-28-2002, 09:41 AM
I work a part time job at a horse stable and my main job is bush hogging and dragging pastures. So I can fully understand about boardum on the job as I mow about 150 to 200 acres a week. At least I have a really nice tractor too do it with (JD 5310 I think). I dont have many hazards too avoid but if a horse gets in the way you had better be quick on the horn and brakes. I can honestly say I really enjoy being on those Big Ole JD tractors.