PDA

View Full Version : do you offer any warr. on seeding?

General Grounds
08-10-2002, 08:10 PM
:blob3: just curious if any of you offer warr. on your seedings in fall. we do not, we just gaur. that we'll do the work spelled out in their lawn renovation quote, the warr. is up to them. i have a cutomer who we killed existing lawn last fall and thacthed the lawn core aerated,seeded, and ferted w/lime. the lawn came in very well almost perfect, now that we have had such a hot summer the lawn has taken a beating(direct sun). cutomer calls 3x's this week wanting me to reseed because the lawn has witered away and it is my fault, when i asked him the read back what his agreement states he got irrate and said he might sue me now. oh well tony, forgot to mention he is russian and any answer i give him unless it's (i'll do it for free) is the wrong answer, guess i learned my lesson.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-10-2002, 08:57 PM
I garuntee that all my seeding jobs will (key word here) "germinate" if proper steps were followed that are written out on the service agreement they signed. However I will not garuntee it will survive Summer heat and stress. (written on there also)

KirbysLawn
08-11-2002, 01:24 AM
Explain to him that grass is a living plant, an orginisim that requires water. Ask for him to please explain to you how survival is possible without water?

LAWNGODFATHER
08-11-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
Explain to him that grass is a living plant, an orginisim that requires water. Ask for him to please explain to you how survival is possible without water?

Better yet ask him how long he will live without water, that might get him thinking or maby not.

Kent Lawns
08-11-2002, 07:14 AM
guarentee a high quality seed.
guarentee proper installation.

nothing more.

tremor
08-11-2002, 07:58 AM
I don't seed anymore. But maybe some of the points I picked up along the way will be of use to someone. This year should offer good opportunities to make money seeding. But to avoid some of the populat pitfalls will require some thought & disciplin.

We used to guarantee all materials were fit for their intended use & the integrity of our work. I worked for a guy who was very tenured & disciplined & after a couple of years, I began to understand that seeding wasn't the numbers game that our regular maintenance program was. Eventually I started to sell the good jobs, with a great warranty that worked better than 90% of the time.

When selling the work, it is of utmost importance to explain that the client has responsibilities too. Moisture: Timing & Freqency! We had a paper info sheet we left behind with every estimate explaining how the RESULT was a "team effort" with 2 players on the team. A "doubles event" wouldn't go well if one half of the team was sitting with their back to the net.

All sold work was 50% before work starts. 50% due upon completion.

We'd make unsolicited site checks 2-3 days after the work was done. If no watering, we'd be all over the phone.

Only return for the follow-up/touch-up visit after the balance is paid in full. 21 days after the seeding is done, find out if the balance due check has arrived. If not, the office staff would call to schedule the touch-up visit & offer a walk-through & "would the consumer be availbale next week?" Then we'd make clear that the terms required the balance in full prior to the touch up work & we don't want to miss the window. Offer to pick up the check, or get the check number if mailing.

We still ended up making a call-back to "touch things up" on almost every job. But the cost to follow up was built into the original price we charged, so it was gladly performed. That cost varied based on our gut feelings of the site & consmer attitude. Some consumers would make statements or generalizations that would scare us off. We'd bid them very high to discourage them. Other times, site conditions would alter our bid. ie availability of water, exposure, grade too severe, soil type, etc.

We always included a "natural causes & acts of God" disclaimer. This so everyone understood that washouts were beyond our control.

We would also maintain a file of photos that included ponding & puddling effects on seeding results to help send the point home. This is easier today now that digital cameras are here.

Every year, I get dragged around by a "professional" to look at "seed failures" by someone who screwed up & wants me to share the blame. 99% of the time, I either find dry ungerminated seed (usually on top of thatch) or new seedlings happily establishing themselves where ever the water has moved them to. Places such as culverts, the cracks around storm drains, all the low spots, and around the edges where ponding & puddling has ocurred.

Everyone can warranty their work. IF they have a clear understanding of what quality seeding is & have the resources & disciplin to deliver the goods. They should resist the temptation to sell "bad jobs". Especially those where some sorry case is emphasizing the need to stay within a budget. Or worse, they have the money, but need grass without water. If they have all this money, why is water an issue? Water's cheaper than seed. Then get the consumer on the team. Procure quality seed, starter ferts & mulches. Follow accepted establishment practices, & get a deposit from lesser known clients.

The results of good disciplin are astounding.

Steve

Rob Spread & Spray
08-11-2002, 08:32 AM
I do little seeding, but anytime I do a renovation, there is only a guarantee if the customer goes on a full fert program. This way we are on the lawn for a year and can make sure things are being done right.:blob2: