PDA

View Full Version : "ZTR" Clarification (new terminology)

Jimbo
08-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Well it appears that I gave out some incorrect info and for that I appologize.

I am told that.
ZTR- means "Zero-Turn-Radius" (I thought it was Zero-Turn-Rider)

I am also told that some people have WB's that Zero Turn like the riders do. IE: One wheel turns forward while the other turns backward.

Heres where the new Terminology comes into play.

If all of this is true; when you are refering to your "ZTR" machine you should clarify by saying ZTR (Rider) or ZTR (WB).

I have been posting that I have a ZTR, but I might have confused all of you and for that I am Sorry. What I really have is a 36" WB, and a 52" ZTR (Rider), but some day I would like to buy a 36" ZTR (WB)

I hope this simplifies things for all of us!

Jim :dizzy: ;) :D

LAWNGODFATHER
08-10-2002, 11:21 PM
The terminology on LS is ZTR for ztr rider and WB for walkbehind.

Many dealers use rider for the "R" and so do some MFG's.

If it is a ZTR WB then it would classify itself as a hydro walkbehind.

Hope this simplifies things for you. Just use the terms they named the mower with and you should do ok.

Jimbo
08-11-2002, 08:03 AM
Lawngodfather says- Many dealers use rider for the "R" and so do some MFG's

I think this is how I got confused on the subject, because some dealers, and some MFG's refer to them as such.
I even saw a new model in the lanscape magizine (ZTM) Zero-turn mower.

I was just trying to make light of all the confusion...that I (we) had on a previoous post.

Jim

1grnlwn
08-11-2002, 09:55 AM
All WB's are zero turns. Therefore it is redundant to say ztr WB. Right?

Mark

KenH
08-11-2002, 10:47 AM
Al WB's are not 0 turns, especially the belt driven ones!!:D

1grnlwn
08-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Zero turn. Zero radius turn. A belt drive WB won't pivot on one stationary wheel? I believe that is all that's nessesary to be considered a zero radius turn. Will it mow around a tree without backing manuvers. Frankly I would consider a push mower to be zero turn.

Mark

LAWNGODFATHER
08-11-2002, 01:57 PM
Mark a belt drive wb is an inside wheel turning mower as is rear steer and 3 wheeled mowers (like a scag sthm).

If yall really want to get technical the out front deck ZTR's are not really ZTR's if you consider the deck positioning.

Zero turning radius cutting mower, definition will mow while turning in it's own space and leave no un cut grass in the circle.

1grnlwn
08-11-2002, 02:02 PM
I "sit" corrected. Most of the time LOL.

Flex-Deck
08-11-2002, 09:54 PM
Actually the only mower I know of that can make 10 continuous circles mowing around a pencil stuck in the ground and stay by the pencil is an All Wheel Steer JD tractor with a flex-deck mounted on it. All the rest do have to do a reorientation at some time.

Send me a video of your machine if it can do that, and I will send you a video if this seems impossible.

Thanks, Brad. -

Visit www.flex-deck.com for animated maneuvers with the flex-deck. We now can put it on eXmark WB's, and if fact I just purchased a 36" Viking Hydro and should have pics by the end of the week. This will be a demo machine - I live in SE. Iowa by Burlington, so let me know if you want to see the eXmark or a JD tractor in action with the Flex-Deck Attachment.

Turfdude
08-11-2002, 09:57 PM
We all know LGF is the King of the Throne. lol
I agree w/ his 1st response
wb=walkbehind
a "zt" walk behind would be a hydro
standers also z-turn
and ztr is commonly used for riders
grasshoppers, woods and others are out front mowers
then you have pull behind gang mowers
etc..

Bob

crawdad
08-12-2002, 06:59 AM
LGF said;
"The terminology on LS is ZTR for ztr rider and WB for walkbehind.

Many dealers use rider for the "R" and so do some MFG's.

If it is a ZTR WB then it would classify itself as a hydro walkbehind.

Hope this simplifies things for you. Just use the terms they named the mower with and you should do ok."

OK, my scag is a SWZ
crawdad

Richard Martin
08-12-2002, 09:00 AM
Let me put my 2 cents in here too. Belt driven walkbehinds can have a zero turn radius. You only need to let the clutch out on one side while pulling back on the other. I define a zero turn radius as not needing more than the length of the machine, be it mower, car or whatever, to make a 360 degree turn. For example a pickup truck may have a 30 foot turn radius, a small car may need 25 feet and my Dixie Chopper needs 0 feet. Brad's mower may be able to cut around a pencil but since the mower uses more than the length of his mower to make the 360 turn it is not a ZTR mower. That was not a putdown on your mower Brad, just trying to make a point.

Runner
08-12-2002, 10:44 AM
The first time I ever saw the term "ZTR", was in te early to mid 80's when Toro Wheelhorse developed their Zero Turn Radius mower. (complete with chain drive). However, both, my walkbehind and my Gravely 300 rider will cut in a full circle and leave no grass uncut.:)

m&m
08-12-2002, 11:50 AM
glad we got that all cleared up.......man what a site.......always learn something...lol