PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions on Hedge Trimmers please

ChristianJ318
09-16-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm about to purchase my first set of commercial hedge trimmers and wanted some opinions from you guys before spending the money. All of my handhelds are Shindaiwa so I was planning on sticking with them to keep the same gas mix. I'm not going to be using them that often, just a few residentials and one commercial property at the moment. I'm right handed and have carpel tunnel in both hands so weight and balance is somewhat of a factor.

This is what I found at one of my local dealers with sticker prices:

HT2510 30" - NEW On sale for $255 originally $479
http://www.shindaiwa.com/usa/en/products_2/hedgetrims/ht2510.php

DH231 24" - $439
http://www.shindaiwa.com/usa/en/products_2/hedgetrims/dh231.php

Maruyama HT231DR 24" with rotating handle -$399
http://www.maruyama-us.com/products/default.aspx?id=502

Echo HC150 20" - $280
http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?Model=HC-150&Category=HEDGECLIPPER

I liked the weight and the price of the HT2510 but the trigger handle and single sided blade seemed a little awkward. Is it something that you get used to or am I better off spending the additional money to buy the shorter standard handled model? I know nothing of Maruyama and they didnt have one of their hedge trimmers in stock for me to get a look at or feel for. The guy just pointed out that they have 5yr warranty and the handle rotates so that sparked my interest a little. I didn't care for the Echo too much because of the 20" length and the blade guard plus it just seemed "cheap".
Ive got a little less than two weeks to make a decision so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Alan0354
09-16-2010, 12:51 PM
I have been doing EXTENSIVE research in the last few months and been shopping around.

Echo HC-150 is too short, I have one already.

Maruyama HT2321DR and Shindaiwa DH2510 both are about the best. The gear box design is very similiar with ball bearing on every gear one on each side of the gear for best stability and longivity. The connecting rod has needle bearing for longivity and smoothness. Only Kawasaki 600D has the same design. Echo is not even close, neighter are Redmax, Stihl, Tanaka.

The down side of these two are the weight. Both are 13.4 lb. Which is very heavy. Stihl and Tanaka are lighter and 12lbs. But the gear box design is no where close. Both have less bearings. Maybe that's the reason why they are lighter.

As for me, I am pretty much narrow down to Maru HT2321DLR and Shindaiwa DH2510 30". With the outside chance of Tanaka 2530 because of the weight. One complain about Shindaiwa DH2510, no rotating handle. So I have to give a notch to Maruyama.

All the longer Echo is way way over prices for the gear box design and the small engine. They are proven to be reliable even I don't like the single ring 21cc engine and cheapest gear box. For the kind of money, I would go with the first two.

RLS24
09-16-2010, 03:39 PM
I know nothing about the specific models that you have listed there, however, I went from a single sides trimmer to a double sided one, and the difference is night and day. I would never buy another double sided. EVER. they just are not versatile enough especially if its going to be your only hedge trimmer.

Alan0354
09-16-2010, 03:43 PM
I know nothing about the specific models that you have listed there, however, I went from a single sides trimmer to a double sided one, and the difference is night and day. I would never buy another double sided. EVER. they just are not versatile enough especially if its going to be your only hedge trimmer.

You mean never buy a single side or double side?:confused:

ChristianJ318
09-16-2010, 04:54 PM
If you meant single side isn't versatile I was kinda thinking that maybe the case... That $255 price tag is just awfully appealing despite the handle trigger. I still want to hear some more of yalls input before making a purchase though.
Damn shame that the multi tool system is so high!
Posted via Mobile Device

jkilov
09-16-2010, 04:59 PM
If you don't mind the extra weight or lack of rotating handle go with shindaiwa's 4-stroke. With 2-strokes your shirt, hair and pants smell like a muffler after an hour. Some are less nasty than others but they all do it.

I use both single and double sided units and the double are far more versatile. If you're concerned about having a rotating handle or not, they aren't that necessary, but when doing long vertical surfaces it's a nice thing to have.

lawnboy dan
09-16-2010, 07:02 PM
the echo seems cheap cause it is -and junk. you dont need roating handles either . redmax and mauryama are the best hedge trimmers out there

dougdm
09-16-2010, 07:08 PM
bump, I am in the market also and want to hear the rest of this story I am mainly a stihl man, but I do like the shindy's warranty.

ChristianJ318
09-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Rotating handle was just a neat feature but in no way gonna be a decision maker. What's everyones thoughts on the ht2510?
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
09-16-2010, 07:25 PM
One reason I still consider Tanaka and Stihl is because these two are lightest. 30" at 12lbs. This is 1.4lbs lighter than Shindaiwa and Maruyama. I have the Echo HC151 and Shindaiwa short reach articulate hedge trimmers. Both blades are only 20 to 22" and is too short. And also it is very tiring if you trim for extensive period of time. I have coporal tunnel in my wrist, it get hard even I have the strength from doing weight lifting. I think 1.4 lbs means a lot. Just like string trimmer, a 11lbs is so much more comfortable than a 12.4lbs. Hedge trimmer is much more critical.

I know quite a few people here use the Tanaka 21cc hedge trimmer and like it. I can tell you from comparing the part numbers of the blade and the gear box, the 2530, 2526 and 2522 use most of the same parts as the 21cc that people like a lot. Difference is it has a 1.3hp 25cc engine that can cut thicker branches. Don't consider 2520, it is very different gear box design.

I was just communicating with a person in the other post about the Stihl HS81. He think it is very good too.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=329072&page=2

This is my research so far, I love to hear other people's experiences too, I am buying one very soon and I want to best!!!

Alan0354
09-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Rotating handle was just a neat feature but in no way gonna be a decision maker. What's everyones thoughts on the ht2510?
Posted via Mobile Device

Only thing I don't like is single side. It is very good price. Good engine, first class gear box. If I have this offer, I might just get it for $255.

Alan0354
09-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I thought it over and over, I would buy it. But that's just me. I cannot refuse the C4 for $255.

ChristianJ318
09-16-2010, 09:30 PM
I thought it over and over, I would buy it. But that's just me. I cannot refuse the C4 for $255.
Thanks for your input Alan. At the moment that's the Route I'm leaning towards. I figure if I don't like the single blade, I could always put it on craigslist and get the majority of the $255 back from it as I've seen numerous posts of people looking for commercial trimmers. I'm gonna go to another one of my dealers tomorrow and see what kinda prices they'll offer me on the maruyama and shiny dr231 first. Ultimately price is driving my decision more than I anticipated and of course the wife would be happier with the lower price too!
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
09-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks for your input Alan. At the moment that's the Route I'm leaning towards. I figure if I don't like the single blade, I could always put it on craigslist and get the majority of the $255 back from it as I've seen numerous posts of people looking for commercial trimmers. I'm gonna go to another one of my dealers tomorrow and see what kinda prices they'll offer me on the maruyama and shiny dr231 first. Ultimately price is driving my decision more than I anticipated and of course the wife would be happier with the lower price too!
Posted via Mobile Device

You get used to the single edge. I tried a HT2510, I like it well enough. There are good point about 30" blade that you can trim a lot of time in one pass. The best I ever seen Maruyama HT2312DR is $399 when mail order. I just wrote to ask Turfeagle about the exchange policy on defects, you know what they wrote in bow letters:

WE DON'T EXCHANGE, WE FIX IT. WE ARE NOT WALMART!!!!

How do you like that. I have been calling around all over the place just today, it was $439 lowest!!!! The 30" I want is $459!!!!

I am right in the middle of pull hair at the moment buying a hedge trimmer also!!!

Jake4551
09-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Norwalk power has some better deals on hedge trimmers if you are more interested in the Shindaiwa that is NOT the single sided blade. Also have Maruyama.

http://norwalkpower.com/shindaiwahedgetrimmers.aspx

Jake4551
09-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Alan, have you thought about a Husqvarna hedge trimmer> I am between the Shindaiwa DH231 and the Husqvarna 226hd75s. It is my understanding that this Husqvarna trimmer is not a Red Max design. Have bought some Husqvarna grass trimmers recently, very impressed.

ChristianJ318
09-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Norwalk power has some better deals on hedge trimmers if you are more interested in the Shindaiwa that is NOT the single sided blade. Also have Maruyama.

http://norwalkpower.com/shindaiwahedgetrimmers.aspx

I've never checked on norwalkpower before but honestly it's not enough of a savings for me to have to order online and wait on shipping. I just feel much more comfortable being able to purchase locally especially if I were to need warrantied repairs. I appreciate everyones input and have decided on the ht2510 that's on sale. I'd prefer the 231 but for $180 difference in price, I'll give the single blade a shot. Thanks again to everyone, you guys are what make this site great!!
Posted via Mobile Device

georgiagrass
09-18-2010, 12:02 AM
We use the Stihl HS 45. Plenty of power, light, easy to use, reliable -- it's a Stihl.

Craig3
09-18-2010, 03:22 AM
I bought a DH231 30" earlier in the season and I like it. It has better balance than the 24" model (the extra 6" offsets the weight of the engine better). I haven't used any other commercial hedge trimmer, but I have had good luck w/ Shindy handhelds and this one hasn't given me any issues so far.

ChristianJ318
09-22-2010, 10:13 PM
I bought the HT2510 that was on sale. I havent used it much yet but, so far I like it. The handle configuration isnt as bad as I thought it would be but a standard dual sided trimmer would be more convenient. The 30" length is the biggest plus I have for it so far. It really balances nicely.

lawnpro724
09-27-2010, 11:46 AM
We do alot of shrub and hedge trimming all year long and we use several different trimmers. Echo's HC-150 is a decent, reliable light duty trimmer although a bit underpowered for anything other than basic trimming. Efco trimmers are our primary trimmers, they are heavy but also have large engines and heavy duty bars and will cut up to 3/4 inch branches with ease, best trimmers out there. We also have SCH-265 25cc extended reach trimmers that see alot of use. If your going to do shrubs your going to get all kinds of calls from people. Shrubs that are trimmed twice a year, once a year and some that haven't been trimmed in years. Most if not all the trimmers you listed have 21cc engines, a good engine but weak. We are going to be ordering Tanaka's HTD-2530s 30" bar and 24cc engine to replace our mid range trimmers, you need power to cut back and resize shrubs and that little 21cc engine just won't cut it.

tuna-gator
09-29-2010, 07:50 AM
Where can I get this sale price? I need to get a trimmer as well.

Thanks

bonzo1012
10-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Stihl makes a mean pair of trimmers. HS 45 are well balanced double sided gass guzzlers though. About $375

jhayden
10-06-2011, 11:15 PM
I have used a Maruyama 24" for 3 years. It starts 1st or 2nd pull everytime and is still as sharp as they day it was bought. Maruyama makes a great trimmer!

BlackCloudDiesel
10-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Maruyama- hands down. The brand new trimmers are a bit heavier then those in years past. Just bought 3 more a few weeks ago. I've used them for years and have had very good luck with them. The only thing that normally "fu*&s up" on them are the fuel caps. For some reason the caps leak after they get some time on them. Luckily they're only about $5.00! The rotating handle is nice to have, you'll use it more then you'd think!

Personally I think everything Echo makes is junk. I love the Shindaiwa's, but a little less each year; as they become more like their parent company Echo.

Bottom line- go for the Maruyama it won't let you down!

Alan0354
10-23-2011, 04:34 AM
This is an old thread. I since bought the maruyama HT2321DLR 30" double side with rotating handle. It's been like 10 months and works perfect. Always two pull cold start, not much warmup needed. It is very very quiet.......that is a big surprise. The cut is slightly better than my Echo HC151 and Shindaiwa M242 with hedge attachment.

About the only thing is it is quite heavy. But you get used to it. I really never use the rotating handle.