PDA

View Full Version : Clean Your Kawi Heads

PlantscapeSolutions
09-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Your engines may look clean when you peer down through the pull start screen but don't be fooled. Once a year it's good to take the pull start and other stuff off the engine to expose the heads. You will be amazed at how much stuff get trapped on the heads and insulates it effecting it's ability to cool it's self.

If the engine runs hot it will ruin the two gaskets and you'll starting leaking oil. Once oil mixes with the stuff built up on the heads it's hell to get it all clean.

ed2hess
09-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Good idea to pull the top cowing off since a lot of them start leaking oil during warranty and some people miss that until it pours down.

Golfpro21
09-16-2010, 07:51 PM
thanks for the heads up....wil be sure to do this

BigFish
09-18-2010, 06:52 PM
You should try to clean em once a month. Remember its air cooled!
Ya might be able to stretch it out to every other month.
It's cheap insurance, to say the least!

Str8Liner
09-25-2010, 08:58 PM
True True, at work we have all Toro prolines, grandstands and Scag WBs all with electric start Kawa's and we carry windsheild snow brushes. Hold them over the top while it runs and it keeps it clean and breathing. Kawa's worst enemy is getting hot, so we keep'em clean and use a thicker oil.

RickyDL77
09-28-2010, 01:03 AM
Your engines may look clean when you peer down through the pull start screen but don't be fooled. Once a year it's good to take the pull start and other stuff off the engine to expose the heads. You will be amazed at how much stuff get trapped on the heads and insulates it effecting it's ability to cool it's self.

If the engine runs hot it will ruin the two gaskets and you'll starting leaking oil. Once oil mixes with the stuff built up on the heads it's hell to get it all clean.
Or this will happen!! Machine was rarely used 4 years old, 1100 hrs crew felt since they hardly used it, they didnt need to clean as often as the rest.. luckaly only damaged #2 cylinder head and alot of cleaning.. went ahead and charged the crew with new pistons, rings, valves, guides, rods, gov assy. #2 head gaskets and seals.. 10 hours to do, half was in the cleanup lol

Never even knew it was leaking oil cause the dirt soaked it up until they brought it in.

http://www.lawnsite.com/album.php?albumid=591&pictureid=3942

The Lawn Ranger CT.
09-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Rick, I've got a stupid question ( but may answer my problem) I noticed on the photo you posted , there is a breathing tube only on one of the valve heads,..why not both~? and while I was starting up my mower the other day (before I put the fliter holding on) I did noticed alittle (very liitle ) smoke coming from the breather tube~? could this lead me to the problem I am having with the intermittent smoking issue I stated in my post~? And what might it be~?

PlantscapeSolutions
09-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Good idea to pull the top cowing off since a lot of them start leaking oil during warranty and some people miss that until it pours down.

If you ever need a great mechanic who knows his stuff but work for cheap let me know. Back when Diamond Jims was in business on Manchaca Road their head mechanic was Brian Parks. Brian is now an AISD mechanic but fixes stuff on the side at his house in Kyle. Brian only charges $25 an hour. Engine rebuilds, hydro pump rebuilds, and carb work he can do it all.

He doesn't let your stuff sit for a month like the shops do. He often fixes my stuff the same day. Plus he only lives 15 minutes from my house which is great! It's almost like having my own staff mechanic.

rain man
09-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Going to be checking more often.

GrassMan22
09-28-2010, 11:30 PM
I've found out more often than not its the breather cover that is leaking on the kawasaki engines. when you take the time to pull the covers off, make sure to tighten down the 4 10mm bolts that hold the breather cover on and you won't have a problem with dirt sticking to the fins. Vibration is a killer.

RickyDL77
09-29-2010, 01:33 AM
I've found out more often than not its the breather cover that is leaking on the kawasaki engines. when you take the time to pull the covers off, make sure to tighten down the 4 10mm bolts that hold the breather cover on and you won't have a problem with dirt sticking to the fins. Vibration is a killer.
they have a breather kit which comes with the gasket and a thicker plate and longer bolts. they gave no explanation but i'm guessing the thinness of the plates doesnt alow the gasket to completely seal on all the ridges of the labrynth in the chamber where the Breather element is. This can cause more blowby, have done this on 12 rebuilds this year 11 of which were 23hp Kawi's and havent had any problems yet

RickyDL77
09-29-2010, 01:41 AM
Rick, I've got a stupid question ( but may answer my problem) I noticed on the photo you posted , there is a breathing tube only on one of the valve heads,..why not both~? and while I was starting up my mower the other day (before I put the fliter holding on) I did noticed alittle (very liitle ) smoke coming from the breather tube~? could this lead me to the problem I am having with the intermittent smoking issue I stated in my post~? And what might it be~?
its supposed to vent the gasses from the engine without alowing oil to escape. Like that of a PVC Valve on an automobile. If you were to take off the cover their would be a labrynth of passages for the gases to flow, if the seal on the gasket is not good it could "jump" these passages along with the oil. could be other things to
been sick since saterday..explaning why i'm up at 1:30am i cant sleep...lol and aperantly i cant think very straight either

I will try and post pictures and illitrations on your post tomarrow if i dont have to bad of a headach

Southern Pride
09-29-2010, 10:09 PM
I found this thread and wanted to ask about this. First off, do we need to just clean the cooling fins or the actual head? I have the kawi 15hp on my exmark metro. Just now I went down and took off the 4 bolts holding my pull start chord on. Below that is a big round screen that locked in with 4 tabs I could not get to. There was a long cylinder in the middle half filled with clippings that had one bolt at the bottom of it. From there the fins appeared fairly clean (the guy before me took care of it and serviced it often) Anyway is this something where the whole engine shroud needs to come off? Or just the pull start chord to get down to the cooling fins? How do I get off the circular screen to get to the cooling fins? Do I stop there or is there more? I'm all about doing every bit of normal maintenance and any preventitive maintenance...Anyone who can point me in the right direction on this I sure appreciate it. I've been using the machine since April and have not done this so I'm eager to know. My engine manual isn't helping much

The Lawn Ranger CT.
09-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Once you removed the 4 bolts to the pull cord, there should be approx. 4 bolts that hold the plastic shroud the covers the motor ( the one that surrounds the plastic fins and fly-wheel) the bolts should be on the side of the shroud, remove those and the black plastic shroud should pull right up, there is no need to remove the screen(you had mentioned) nor the plastic cooling fins that are attached to the flywheel . Once the shroud is removed then you can see the metal cooling fins on the motor head.....those are the ones needed to stay clean .....I normally use a air compressor with a small attachment gun for blowing mine clean, but you can use any leaf blower and brush will do.

Southern Pride
09-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Thank you man, will do first thing tomorrow!

The Lawn Ranger CT.
09-30-2010, 05:34 PM
The bolt config, might be aliitle different on your metro than my Turftracer, but the Kaw motor should be close to the same your 15hp to my 17hp , and like I said once you take the pull cord assmby off , and those bolts holding the black plastic shroud (covering the motor) it should just pull right up and off , exposing the motor heads we are talking about cleaning...
And it all depends on your usage and cutting conditions , on how frequent you should check them and clean

Southern Pride
09-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Just got home from class. In a few I'm going to get it all removed and cleaned out. Should I just blow it all out or should I also get some degreaser and clean it good. Unsure whether to use any liquid in this area. Thanks for all the help thus far.

The mower has run excellent and shown no signs of overheating so I am not too worried about it but still going to get it done. I would say you should do this every month. I think someone else mentioned do it once a year, and to me, that seems wayy too long between cleanings.

The Lawn Ranger CT.
10-01-2010, 01:24 AM
I'm sure Rick might chime in and agree with me on this , that it depends on how dusty and dirty your cutting conditions and usage are.... I use mine as my daily cutter and check & clean it more often... you will know better after checking either monthly or by-monthly, then that will tell you whether to clean more often or not. As for the degreaser I would only use this if you see a build up of oil-dirt etc.,which at this point if you do see that , it would be best to locate where the oil is coming from and fix it...
A good air compressor with attachment (the kind with a small thin tube) and brush should work fine, it has for me,...along with a thin screw driver to scrape in between the fins if needed.

Southern Pride
10-01-2010, 02:03 AM
From as far as I can see I don't believe there will be a buildup. Most likely the tiny dry grass/dust clippings. Buildup is from leaking oil sticking everything together which is never good. I've decided this is waiting till tomorrow :D I'm pretty sure I'll just be blowing it clear and then putting it all back on. Thank you so much for your time and info Lawn Ranger. If I do discover some BS buildup I'll post pics but hopefully its just a little bit of dry dust/grass clippings.

The Lawn Ranger CT.
10-01-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm sure you'll do fine...sounds good~!
Happy Cutting~!

Southern Pride
10-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Okay guys well I used my mower all season, pulled off the engine shroud and this is what I found. Pretty dang clean I thought....I got a toothbrush and cleaned off the carb and around the air cleaner but the actual heads looked pretty good. Let me know what you think
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Mower018.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Mower014.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Mower015.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Mower016.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Mower017.jpg

The Lawn Ranger CT.
10-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I have to agree with you the heads look pretty dam clean for being used all season...great~!

Southern Pride
10-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Yeah I mean I really couldn't find much to clean? I guess that's pretty good. They had a little brown dust on them. I had a toothbrush but couldn't really get it down in between the heads. A screwdriver wouldn't of done much for the dust so I need to find something good narrow and long with bristles for getting in between them. It makes me feel good though it is that clean since April. I wish my prefilter and under my air filter cover stayed that clean although it is cracked, I ordered a new one so maybe that will keep the dust/debris out better.