PDA

View Full Version : Building a leaf box

Barrett Landscaping
09-16-2010, 08:33 PM
I am building a new box for my ford f250. I am planing to make the box 4ft over the bed rails and have a billy goat loader hooked up to my rear hitch. was wondering how you guys transport your blowers and other equiptment. It seems that it would be hard to "fish" out blowers from the back when its packed with leaves and sided up. Any responses would be appreciated.:usflag:

Puddle of Oil
09-17-2010, 02:30 AM
Trailer!?
Posted via Mobile Device

Barrett Landscaping
09-17-2010, 07:27 AM
i really dont want to have to use a trailer because it is hader to manuver into tight spaces

stan the man
09-17-2010, 08:34 AM
bigger is better on the box and i hooks on the side of the box for rack blower and this i will need

CTmower
09-17-2010, 10:36 AM
My setup wont be looking the greatest this fall but it will get the job done. Ill be building 6ft high walls on my EZ Dumper insert. Mounting my 18hp Billy Goat Loader to a custom front mount hitch setup that will be welded up this week for me. Ill probably put a few PVC tubes on the side of the box for rakes and then everything else gets loaded onto my trailer which consists of.
Scag Turf Tiger
Exmark 48" Wb
Little Wonder push blower
2 gas cans
Echo Backpack blower will be strapped down to the seat of my Turf Tiger because its the only safe place I can think to put it besides inside the truck which is a pain.

stan the man
09-17-2010, 10:44 AM
if it works for you that is great he is talking about putting the vac on has hitch no trailer

CTmower
09-17-2010, 11:04 AM
No trailer?? I hope he has another truck to pull his equipment with. I dont think I have a single yard that I could pull up to with just a leaf vac, dump box, and some rakes and get the job done. Definitely need a push blower, backpack blower, and some mowers!!!!

stan the man
09-17-2010, 11:06 AM
i can not clean up without my mowers i be doing clean up all day

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-17-2010, 03:32 PM
mount the the vac on the front and pull a trailer

Barrett Landscaping
09-18-2010, 10:29 AM
DRM, that what i was planning on doing. I do do yards that dont need mowers as well as those that do. I just want the flexibility.:usflag:

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-20-2010, 11:13 AM
My leaf rig should be ready Tuesday....pics coming

Greenboy24
09-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Much more efficient to have a trailer full of equipment. We constantly take off the trailer while on jobs to make moving arounf and sucking up leaves that much easier. If we don't need to remove the trailer then we won't but it takes about 45 secs to take off the trailer when needed.

You got to have both IMO

Mowbizz
09-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Working solo, unfortunately, I take my mowers and blowers to the job, do the cleanup, make my piles then go fetch my leaf trailer, which is self contained with my Lesco loader mounted up front. It's the only way to do it with one truck. That's only if I have to haul away the leaves...on about half my jobs I can blow the leaves to the customer's woods.

STIHL GUY
09-21-2010, 01:30 PM
this year the loader will be mounted to the front of the truck so i can pull my trailer as well

Greenboy24
09-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Working solo, unfortunately, I take my mowers and blowers to the job, do the cleanup, make my piles then go fetch my leaf trailer, which is self contained with my Lesco loader mounted up front. It's the only way to do it with one truck. That's only if I have to haul away the leaves...on about half my jobs I can blow the leaves to the customer's woods.

Why not use the back of the truck instrad of a seperate trailer?

stan the man
09-21-2010, 02:49 PM
this year running three trucks. 2 will be doing the clean ups and the new f450 has the box and vacuum will be going a round and pick up leaves at curb side at the sites of clean ups so the guys finish the job and go to the next one. the box truck can also going a round and do the curb side pick up that the people do the clean up them self i pick up the leaves for them

Mowbizz
09-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Why not use the back of the truck instrad of a seperate trailer?

Because I bought my dump trailer and built my leaf box on it before I had a dump insert in the truck. My leaf trailer holds enough leaves to do several big cleanups before I need to empty it. I know there are better ways but this is how I do it now and I can't see changing everything around just yet...perhaps when I semi-retire next year I will downsize to just the truck and modify my loader to work from a front mount hitch....then I can pull my mower/blower trailer as well. Or then again, maybe I will just quit doing leaf cleanups and sell all the related equipment. :usflag:

kemco
09-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Even though I pull a dump trailer that holds about 16 cu/yds, I currently have my loader bolted to the bed of my truck. That only leaves me room to put 2 blowers in the bed with the loader, so I got a greentouch backpack blower rack and mounted it to the wood side extensions on my dump trailer. It is lockable, it works for me. I want a swing away mount to put the loader on the back of the dump trailer but thats $1000 that I dont have to blow on that right now. I tried to upload photo of what Im talking about but lawnsite says I uploaded it already in another thread. Guess I cant post it twice?

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-22-2010, 03:31 PM
so paint and signage are coming.......but this give you the idea.....it is about 14 cy........350% larger than last years box......

Green surfer 1
09-22-2010, 06:21 PM
We were working on a picup truck f350 w/ dump insert and making a leaf box for it. With swing mount leaf vac,on the front utillizing our snow plow reciever ,making a transport plate to carry a wheeled leaf blower. The plate will be removeable with pins. and marked on the corners with snow plow floresent markers. this will not be our primary truck as we have other bigger dump trucks. this truck can go with either 1-2 workers and can tackle small to medium homes and com. properties. The pickup is easy to get into tight areas. Backpac blowers ,rakes are mounted to sides of box, hope this could be of some help.

stan the man
09-22-2010, 06:31 PM
so paint and signage are coming.......but this give you the idea.....it is about 14 cy........350% larger than last years box......

how dose that work in front my is on the back of my box and it about 14 cy. dose it block up with water and dry leaves

seabee24
09-22-2010, 08:47 PM
am i the only fool that picks up the leafs with the mower, dumps them into cans, throws 8 cans up into the bed and dumps them out... repeating about twice per property?

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-22-2010, 08:53 PM
It works great ........I have never had a clog in 4 years and this year the pipe is about 4 ft shorter because no crew cab........I do not expect any problems

how dose that work in front my is on the back of my box and it about 14 cy. dose it block up with water and dry leaves

stan the man
09-22-2010, 08:57 PM
am i the only fool that picks up the leafs with the mower, dumps them into cans, throws 8 cans up into the bed and dumps them out... repeating about twice per property?

no you not if friend dose to and he has a dump truck lol

stan the man
09-22-2010, 09:09 PM
seabee24 not lol at you. i am lol at him because he said that not make money on clean ups. the dump charge him 35.00 to dump his dump truck and free for trash can

kemco
09-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Where I dump the leaves charges me $25 which includes pulloff. I add this charge onto my fee for the leaf removal. I havent had people complain, they would rather not have 125 bags lined on their street.

stan the man
09-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Where I dump the leaves charges me $25 which includes pulloff. I add this charge onto my fee for the leaf removal. I havent had people complain, they would rather not have 125 bags lined on their street.
we dump free here

Puddle of Oil
09-23-2010, 12:06 AM

yep!:) takes way too much time for the amount of leaves i have up here.

seabee24
09-23-2010, 10:27 AM
yep!:) takes way too much time for the amount of leaves i have up here.

does the truck loaders condense the leafs that much?

Im chargered per yard for disposal. we run our mower over them once with the bag on it which reduces them some. I just always figured why dump them in a pile by the curb, only to have to suck them up again. we just dump into cans... have like 8-10 cans with us, toss them up and a guy climbs in

we also charge per can of debris, how do you guys factor your pring

STIHL GUY
09-23-2010, 04:28 PM
i have been building my leafbox for this year.. ill get some pictures up when its finished...the only pictures i have of it now are dark cause ive been working on it after school and work and whatnot

Puddle of Oil
09-23-2010, 11:16 PM
does the truck loaders condense the leafs that much?

Im chargered per yard for disposal. we run our mower over them once with the bag on it which reduces them some. I just always figured why dump them in a pile by the curb, only to have to suck them up again. we just dump into cans... have like 8-10 cans with us, toss them up and a guy climbs in

we also charge per can of debris, how do you guys factor your pring

it does a little bit but ive never owned a leaf loader so i cant say much about that!

as far as bagging, it just fills up too fast and its just a big PITA in my opinion! i charge em by the hour.