PDA

View Full Version : Sterling leaf vac?

Decoste76
09-16-2010, 10:02 PM
found this leaf vac that mounts to a truck.. tried google'n it but couldnt find anything the guy wants 650$ he said. Anybody no any info on these things? worth buying or looking into

rockycrab
09-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Don't know that one for certain. We use the Billy Goat's. The truck mount is a 15hp Kawasaki... does ok. intake hose is 6". clogs a little. Then we got the trailered Billy Goat with 25hp kawasaki 10" inlet hose..... the thing rocks. I can almost use it as a chipper to pick up small hedge clippings. No comparison. I will never spend money on truck mounts again. Might as well tarp and haul em.

Decoste76
09-16-2010, 10:23 PM
and whys that because it clogs?

rockycrab
09-16-2010, 10:27 PM
and whys that because it clogs?

Yep, not enough real vacuum created to pull our style wet and mucky leaves. When dry its usually ok, and works well to shred leaves so that you get more into the truck. But, often times after the first week or so, leaves are smacked down by rain and they just do not vac up with the 15hp motor. More time is spent trying to creat the perfect conditions for the machine to work properly, than just tarping or barreling the leaves in the first place. LOL

Decoste76
09-16-2010, 10:42 PM
so what would you say go with a 25hp.. im a small buss now so idk

rockycrab
09-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Yeah, You need to really way it out. How many hours of leaf pickup do you have to do? vs. How many hours of labor can you save? How much can you save in reduced dump fees? As long as the dump is not weighing your trucks you can save by dumping by the yard. Gotta watch out for overloading weight though. Cost is around $5k if i remember correctly. And you gotta pay for that machine year round while it sits on its butt most of the time. LOL, We are running 2 of these machines and spend about 2500 hours at leaf pickup from nov1 thru dec15. I believe that I tracked a 500 hour reduction in leaf pickup hours in the season that we upgraded from the previous season, Really hard to directly attribute all those hour savings to the machined though. Could have been weather, labor, techniques, fewer pop runs. lots of things come into play. by the way 2500 hours is what about $37,500 so save 500 you get $7500 saving and you have paid for one machine. Plus since the machines, we have not had a single back strain workmen comp claim. Once again hard to attribute 100%, but gotta have had an impact i think.

bonzo1012
10-01-2010, 09:47 PM
You want a good leaf vac? Go Extreme Vac. Little wonder, billy goat, and giant vac are good "beginner vacs" dont waste your time. 27 hp kawa belt driven 20" impeler 12inch intake 10 inch exhaust hold on to your cell phone sucked mine right outta my pocket.

rockycrab
10-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Too bad about your phone. LOL, I remember long ago Mark and Brian ran one through a chipper or something while it was broadcasting on their radio show.
Haven't heard of the Extreme Vac, but I will poke around town here, see if I can find one to demo. Thanks for the tip!

bonzo1012
10-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Anytime. I spelled it wrong though normally you would spell extreme with an e at the beginning but they leave it out. Xtreme Vac. I didn't even know it went through until I found the pieces in the back of my truck the next day.

rockycrab
10-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Just found them on internet.. Looks bad ass! No dealers in Oregon or Washington though according to their website..