PDA

View Full Version : TIP OF THE DAY - Invoices & Customers

keepoffthegrass
09-16-2010, 11:05 PM
About three months ago I was sitting up late one night doing invoices. I took a break from the invoices and started going through a stack of bills on my desk. I got side tracked from what I was doing (invoicing) because there was a yellow invoice in the stack of papers on my desk that I had just remembered was coming due really soon or past due.

The light bulb turned on and I jumped in my truck and went to the 24hr walmart to get bright green paper. I threw out about 15 invoices that i had just printed and printed them again on green.

I've been invoicing on expensive green paper now for 3 months and have noticed very good results.

I have noticed a reasonable change in payments and people are alot less likely to "forget" to pay me. There will always be a bright green invoice staring them in the face within the stack of white bills on the corner of their desk.

2 days ago I called one of my larger commercial contracts regarding a late payment. The first thing she said was "Oh, thats right!, yours are the green ones right?" as she chuckled. She was able to find it fast and process payment. She isnt the only customer that has commented on the green invoices.

Some of you im sure already do this. For others, I hope this idea helps!

Hope everyone is doing good this season!

DQL10
09-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Not a bad idea. Although there might be some disadvantages to this process but the theory behind it is genius! Simple yet a great idea. I like it. Might have to give it a try.

tmetz
09-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Wow, never thought of that either! Are you using neon green or a different shade of green. That's an awesome idea id like to try it out
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
09-17-2010, 12:48 AM
Next month will be colored paper, maybe a cheap way to get everything payed up faster.

Roger
09-17-2010, 07:21 AM
I did this several years ago, started using green paper for invoices. In my judgment, some people may have paid faster when I started the practice. My thought was that my invoice would stand out from others, having something identifiable. However, after a few months, everybody reverted back to their own ways. I have abandoned the practice. I think I still have part of a ream of green paper in the office.

I've moved as many people as possible to e-invoicing anyway. I don't know what color paper they use to print my invoice, and don't care. As a rule, those willing to accept e-invoicing are the most prompt payers. In other words, getting their invoice via e-mail is more effective in getting prompt payment that color of any invoice I send via USPS.

Just my observations ...

yardatwork
09-17-2010, 08:00 AM
I used two part invoices...customers gets the yellow invoice and I keep the white invoice part. Typically have zero issues with nonpayments. If I ever have issues, it's the deadbeats that never had any intention of paying...and...it's a trip to the magistrate! That's only happened twice in twelve years though. So I'm pretty satisfied with my billing results!

keepoffthegrass
09-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Wow, never thought of that either! Are you using neon green or a different shade of green. That's an awesome idea id like to try it out
Posted via Mobile Device

The neon green is a bit intense. I use a bright, flat green. cost about 3 bux more per 500 sheets... Thats a couple years worth for me.

cbtexas
09-19-2010, 03:53 AM
I use this idea too. Been doing it for about 8 years now. One day I had a vendor send me a bill on yellow paper and I thought that was a great idea because it stood out just like you said. Now I buy about 8 reams of paper at a time so I don't run out. I have ran out before and the white invoices just look bad to me after seeing the yellow day in day out. It really bothers me to send them on white paper now, thus I always strive to keep the yellow in stock. It cost more but is worth it to me.

bohiaa
09-19-2010, 07:36 AM
WOW thanks for posting....

that ole yellow paper I bought several years ago is still sitting
Grt way to get rid of it.

Woody82986
09-19-2010, 11:02 AM
I send the overwhelming majority of invoices by email now but I might give the different colored paper a shot for the few I do send paper invoices to. I know I have some green and yellow paper sitting around here I was wondering what to do with.