PDA

View Full Version : Simple 25hp Kawasaki issue

Envy Lawn Service
09-16-2010, 11:33 PM
OK guys, apparently I've burnt something up in my charging system or something is in need of attention and cleaning up...

I own a service manual and have learned my way around electrical systems, etc...

So tomorrow or Saturday I will test the stator and regulator.

I checked continuity and all is good, so I can't think of anything else to check besides the stator and regulator?

If stuff checks out should I pull the flywheel and check to see if I need to clean up rust or something in there???

PLS-Tx
09-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Wow, haven't seen you around here in a long time, how have you been?

Sorry, can't help with your problem.

Envy Lawn Service
09-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Well, I have been good... and I have also been better... lol...

I've been around minor a little here and there.
Mostly just when someone digs up and old thread and I get an email notification...
Or when someone asks me to drop in...

That is about it.

Restrorob
09-17-2010, 12:06 PM
If stuff checks out should I pull the flywheel and check to see if I need to clean up rust or something in there???

Envy,

You'll likely find your problem without pulling the flywheel unless the stator fails the test. The rust on coils/stators is a old myth that has nothing to do with a electromagnetic field.....

Envy Lawn Service
09-17-2010, 01:18 PM
OK, so checking regulators and rectifiers is still my weak point.

I think because the resistance depends on the meter doing the test... and also, I think I read the testing charts backwards on the +/- ... lol...

But here is the bottom line... the stator checks out at 0.1 ohm...
I bet it would show proper charge on the leads too.

On the other hand, though I am weak on the regulator testing...
Bottom line is I get nothing on the "D" prong or the left prong any way I check it...

So I have to guess the regulator is bad...

Agree?

Restrorob
09-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Perform a running test on the stator. Set your meter on AC volts and put the test leads across the stator leads (regulator unplugged), Start the engine and run it up to 3/4 throttle. If the stator is working properly you should see 26 or more AC volts.....

Make sure the regulator is grounded good and you have battery (12+) voltage to the regulator with the key in the run position.

If the stator is putting out and you have a good ground on the regulator with battery voltage, You can pretty much deem the regulator faulty.

Envy Lawn Service
10-08-2010, 10:44 PM
My gosh... what a bunch of parts department idiots...

Nobody could look up and see if they had this regulator for me.

I got so mad I went and took it off to go throw it on the counter somewhere and have them pull the 2 they make and give me the one that matches.

Behold... the Kawasaki part # is right on the friggin thing.

I am reminded why I quit doing business with the locals back in the day.
Before John Deere Landscapes took over Lesco I could have had the part at my door the next morning.