PDA

View Full Version : The Secret

The Lighting Geek
09-17-2010, 01:47 AM
Well, as I have been contemplating marketing stuff today, I started thinking about our attitudes and how we look at the world, and how important that is to our marketing plans. I know some may think this out there, or is it? I try to provide unexpected kindness to someone everyday, just because. I think it affects my attitude in a positive way, although it not why I do it. I always wanting to help others, maybe that comes across in my sales 'speech'. I truly enjoy what I do, I think that shows immediately. At times it could be more important than what magazines i place an ad, or a home show, or what is the ROI on a marketing piece. It could be said that we, our attitudes, how we live our lives, are the best part of the marketing equation. With this in mind I pose the following questions:

How many have read or watched 'The Secret'?

What did you think about it?

Are there any other similar references you would recommend?

Each of us brings something different to this party, just wanted to open a dialog about it...

Mark B
09-17-2010, 07:48 AM
It's a secert. So I can't say. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

steveparrott
09-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Well, as I have been contemplating marketing stuff today, I started thinking about our attitudes and how we look at the world, and how important that is to our marketing plans. I know some may think this out there, or is it? I try to provide unexpected kindness to someone everyday, just because. I think it affects my attitude in a positive way, although it not why I do it. I always wanting to help others, maybe that comes across in my sales 'speech'. I truly enjoy what I do, I think that shows immediately. At times it could be more important than what magazines i place an ad, or a home show, or what is the ROI on a marketing piece. It could be said that we, our attitudes, how we live our lives, are the best part of the marketing equation. With this in mind I pose the following questions:

How many have read or watched 'The Secret'?

What did you think about it?

Are there any other similar references you would recommend?

Each of us brings something different to this party, just wanted to open a dialog about it...

Tommy,

Fascinating stuff - have studied and contemplated similar topics for years. Bringing the esoteric to earth, applying it to marketing, we can equate marketing success with trust-building.

Trust is created in our clients when they perceive traits in us that they recognize and like. What are these traits? Tommy mentions some - the boyscout qualities - generosity, compassion, kindness, truthfulness, humility, etc. People like these qualities because they recognize these are the qualities that mark a great person. And they recognize that the presence of these qualities implies the absence of bad qualities.

All of that is kind of obvious (though it is worth mentioning).

What's not obvious is to what extent we can adopt these qualities, nurture them, act on them. Each of us has a unique personality, created in part by genetics and in part by years of practice. If you are a hard-a** then it may be hard to express kindness and compassion. If you have a big personality, then it may be hard to be humble. Still, every type of person can still succeed in trust-building - mainly because potential clients are not looking for saints. In fact, they may not feel comfortable with someone who is too good ('too good to be true').

The essential ingredient that must accompany whatever qualities we possess, is 'intention'. Intention is the energy we put into 'motive'. We 'intend' to install an excellent lighting system. We intend to treat the customer well. We intend to be honest. We intend to succeed. Qualities without intention have no value to the client. Qualities with strong intentions that align with client's needs are invaluable. Super-strong intention blows away the client. Super-strong intention, coupled with knowledge and skill is PASSION. Passion is more persuasive than everything else; it overpowers most personality problems, and successfully shapes the outcomes of our best efforts.

This brings us back to Tommy's "The Secret". It's all about shaping our world through intention. This is something we can practice, clarifying our intentions before taking any action, clarifying our clients' intentions, consciously aligning the two then putting energy (passion) into actions moving forward.

The Lighting Geek
09-17-2010, 10:09 AM
It's a secert. So I can't say. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Nicely said Steve. As for you Sleepy, you crack me up. :-)

Elegant Outdoor Lighting
09-17-2010, 07:41 PM
“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.”

-Charles Swindoll

The Lighting Geek
09-17-2010, 08:16 PM
The Secret (2006) is available on itunes to rent or buy.

RLI Electric
09-17-2010, 08:59 PM
"Attitude not aptitude determines your altitude" Zig Ziglar.

David Gretzmier
09-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Tommy, I try very hard to show the joy and passion I have for not only lighting, but life, to each person I meet. but unfortunately, life happens and I react to what is going on around me. My days are often colored by how things are going at home with my wife and 4 kids, and almost every day is a good day, so I have a good day.

but bad days happen. kids don't always get along, my wife and I disagree about things from time to time, from the unimportant to the important. Things break and occaisional chaos can invade from a roof leak, a plumbing break, or an a/c breakdown. Business stuff can drag you down as well, usually when things are out of your control- weather, equipment, employees that do not show, product does not arrive for install time, or the worst, customers that will not pay.

I think I let those bad day things affect my mood, and I strive to lift myself out of the funk after a few hours of work or sales. One of the tricks on a bad day a previous boss taught me is to fake feeling good for a little while, and you will find your self actually feeling good and moving on.

As I tell my children, you usually cannot control what happens to you. you can only control how you react to it.

Tim R.
09-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Philippians 4:8 (The HOLY BIBLE)

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

RLI Electric
09-18-2010, 07:54 AM
Jack Canfield who had a big part in The Secret wrote a book called the Success Principles. I thought it was a great book. In it he had a formula E+R=O.
Event+Response=Outcome. Whatever you want your outcome to be, you change either the event or the response to get the desired outcome. Simple, common sense but sometimes something right under your nose is completely out of sight.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Three simple "rules" I try to live by each day:

1: Be Thankful.
2: Do no harm to others.
3: Do something genuinely good for someone.

Sounds simplistic, but not always so. I figure if you can go through life remembering these things each day you have you are doing pretty good.